Court: Teaching Credential Required To Home School

Interesting. So was the oldest kid "in charge" so to speak. Did the olders help teach the youngers? - that seems to occur kind of naturally in a HS environment.

I agree you can't abdicate all teaching responsibility when you HS, but I think you can find lots of creative ways to work things in and still get your hair done.:)

There are a ton of ways lol. I think what scares many folks is they are only around 1 or 2 families and they are not comfortable with the out of the box way that some homeschoolers do it.

I didnt know you liked unschooling! It's a wonderful experience! So is Charlotte Mason :)

I didn't know private schools had uncertified teachers. I went to Catholic school all but 2 years and I belive they were all certified and on the level.
I just don't see where it is a problem to regulate the homeschool industry, we regulate public and private schools and homeschool is the privatest of all! I just know a few homeschool moms and they concern me. One runs errands while her kids are at home doing school work!

Actually, most private schools are not regulated by any government agency. They take no federal funding and do not have to be regulated. They either choose, nor not, to hire certified teachers by a governing body. Many do not.

Most people choose private schools because they do not like mainstream public schools correct? Same thing with homeschooling.

Like private school, it's a legal choice that people take advantage of.

There are a ton of ways lol. I think what scares many folks is they are only around 1 or 2 families and they are not comfortable with the out of the box way that some homeschoolers do it.

I didnt know you liked unschooling! It's a wonderful experience! So is Charlotte Mason :)

I think that's a huge truth. Teaching in a classroom and teaching in a home/family life setting are very different phenomenoms!

Yes - I am an unschooler at heart! I will have to research Charlotte Mason. My children have always gone and continue to go to "normal" schools and that is the right decision for our family right now....but I constantly have one foot out the door!

I actually chose my education major so that I would be able to homeschool if and when the time came. It turns out I don't have children, nor do I plan to have any; but that does not change the reason I went into teaching. I have been a student in public school, private school, Christian school and home-schooled, although I've only taught formally in a public school. (I occasionally volunteer at a Christian school founded by family members.) My mother had only a high school diploma when she home-schooled me in eigth grade and my brother in fourth; however, she did a FANTASTIC job. On the other hand, I have seen some parents (In one case BOTH with college degrees--one certified to teach in GA.) do a HORRIBLE job home-schooling! It really depends upon the parents, not necessarily their level of education or lack of teaching credentials.
I acted as a liason for students entering the public school system from Christian & home-schooling situations where I taught in GA. In that area neither were doing a very good job; however, that is not true throughout GA or the country. I wish there were a better way of evaluating the home schooling situations without everyone getting upset.
GA required home-schooled students to take the final exams given in the local schools to receive credit for the year. This worked in some cases IF the student followed the public school curriculum OR the teacher(s) tested skills as opposed to content. (EX: Home-schooled students for religious reasons generally do not read/study Greek/Roman mythology; therefore, if that content was on the final exam, the kids didn't have a prayer of passing.) The End of Course Tests now being given in many of the core courses are much more fair to the home-schooled students since they are totally skill based--with the exception of the American Lit/Comp 11 EOCT.
JMHO
It's great reading the varied opinions about home-schooling. When we did it, we were practically ostracized! :) Hmm. . . .Back in 1984!!!

I actually chose my education major so that I would be able to homeschool if and when the time came. It turns out I don't have children, nor do I plan to have any; but that does not change the reason I went into teaching. I have been a student in public school, private school, Christian school and home-schooled, although I've only taught formally in a public school. (I occasionally volunteer at a Christian school founded by family members.) My mother had only a high school diploma when she home-schooled me in eigth grade and my brother in fourth; however, she did a FANTASTIC job. On the other hand, I have seen some parents (In one case BOTH with college degrees--one certified to teach in GA.) do a HORRIBLE job home-schooling! It really depends upon the parents, not necessarily their level of education or lack of teaching credentials.
I acted as a liason for students entering the public school system from Christian & home-schooling situations where I taught in GA. In that area neither were doing a very good job; however, that is not true throughout GA or the country. I wish there were a better way of evaluating the home schooling situations without everyone getting upset.
GA required home-schooled students to take the final exams given in the local schools to receive credit for the year. This worked in some cases IF the student followed the public school curriculum OR the teacher(s) tested skills as opposed to content. (EX: Home-schooled students for religious reasons generally do not read/study Greek/Roman mythology; therefore, if that content was on the final exam, the kids didn't have a prayer of passing.) The End of Course Tests now being given in many of the core courses are much more fair to the home-schooled students since they are totally skill based--with the exception of the American Lit/Comp 11 EOCT.
JMHO
It's great reading the varied opinions about home-schooling. When we did it, we were practically ostracized! :) Hmm. . . .Back in 1984!!!

Your post touched on all the aspects of education concerning our children, and it's very well rounded and balanced. I loved the part about the two college educated parents and their inabilities to do it at home with their very own off spring. A piece of paper can't qualify you in dealing and raising a child. That comes with love, committment, concern and discipline.

You pointed out all the available systems, I applaud you. I say, if a parent is considering home schooling, it's not the credentials of the parents that are paramount. It's the individual childs learning process, the home environment, is and does the parent keep it structured during the necessary times, and most are connected with a larger group that they consult and gather with to do extra curricular activities for the children in order for them to get that well roundedness.

great post.

This ruling is so unfair to parents and such a violation of civil rights, I don't even know where to begin. As a nation have become over-reliant on public schools to teach our children. When sex education is mandatory in schools, you know we as parents have given up and are allowing the government to raise our children. Education continues on a spiral of dumbing down and minimal expectations for students. Just look at a curriculum from 100 years ago for comparison. Teachers now spend most of the school year teaching to tests just to ensure the continuance of a failing system. Of course, the teacher's union is thrilled with this decision.

Will legislation be passed that certifications are required to potty train and tie shoes? I just don't believe that certification makes teachers more qualified than a loving and committed parent.

Shutting down home schools because of a few bad apples, is like shutting down the entire public school system because of a few bad teachers or because so many schools in our nation aren't able to meet minimal education standards.

JMHO

Excellent post!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

This ruling is so unfair to parents and such a violation of civil rights, I don't even know where to begin. As a nation have become over-reliant on public schools to teach our children.

I don't even have to offer my opinion on this. Golfmom already has.
Great job, and I agree with every word you've written.

(only I'd change "over-reliant on public schools" to over-reliant on government overall.)

Otherwise, carry on. You're dead on the money.

:clap:

It's time the State of CA realized that all kids do not fit in the same size box. I also think it's time for judges to actually see the state of public education in this country and how behavior impacts students. Judges also need to understand why parents choose home schooling; it's just not the curriculum.

Sure, there are good schools, but so many inner-city schools in this country are jungles: gangs, fights, low life. Twenty years ago inner-city schools had a reputation of being, well, not up to par with suburban schools, but, still, they weren't the criminal element they are today. I would never send my kids to most inner-city schools around my neck of the woods. This statement is from experience. I taught in a school like this for 20 years. And, I really did feel sympathy for kids who wanted to learn but could not because of disruptions.

In all of this, I recall a home schooler who left after two weeks and went back to home schooling - would not put up with the state of inner-city public education.

Denver Government Schools decided that its talented and gifted program wasn't diverse enough. So in order to "correct" this problem, it has decided to give minority and poor students extra credit in order to qualify them as highly gifted. Since there aren't enough minority and poor students in the gifted programs, the government is going to declare some minority and poor students as gifted anyway and then place them into the gifted program.

In a district that is mostly Latino, the gifted program drew mostly white students. The program used to rely on oral tests to measure the student's reasoning and IQ. But some educators complained that these tests are biased against students who didn't learn English as their first language and poor students who haven't had "the same life experiences as their richer peers."

Click!

What's going to happen to these kids who are being set up to fail?

It's time the State of CA realized that all kids do not fit in the same size box. I also think it's time for judges to actually see the state of public education in this country and how behavior impacts students. Judges also need to understand why parents choose home schooling; it's just not the curriculum.

QUOTE]

Here is an article that explains more about the case with a link to the full decision.

Again, the Judge isn't the guy to blame. He just followed the law that has been on the books for decades. The legislature can easily fix this if enough people want them to.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/07/MNJDVF0F1.DTL

Shutting down home schools because of a few bad apples, is like shutting down the entire public school system because of a few bad teachers or because so many schools in our nation aren't able to meet minimal education standards.

It's not shutting them down, it's regulating them to ensure the kids are getting taught! I've seen people use home-schools as an excuse not to teach their kids! And my daughter's elementary school was voted to be closed last night, NOT because of bad teachers or low A.P.I. scores, quite the contrary, we were up for the California Distinguished School Award, but we have a corrupt, incompetent school board!!!!!:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

I want actual proof that having a teaching degree is better for the child than not having one. I want evidence, not opinions. Where is the research? There is none. This is all based on opinion. My sister homeschools her kids. I homeschool my kids. She has a teaching degree. I do not. Her first grader is no farther along in education than my first grader.

I'm just surprised that on a website that is all about gathering evidence before assumptions are made, there is a whole lot of assuming about homeschooling going on. I'm just tired of hearing that my child isn't getting a quality education because I don't have a degree. Show me evidence.

It's not shutting them down, it's regulating them to ensure the kids are getting taught! I've seen people use home-schools as an excuse not to teach their kids!

I've sat in public school classrooms where the lazy teacher was too lazy to teach! Many of them! My husband spent a majority if his public school life watching movies. Who regulates them?

In Alabama we are required to be enrolled in a church school. The school my family uses has a requirement of 180 days while the public school only requires 175 days. I send in report cards and attendance records every nine weeks. The administrator of the church school sees samples of my child's work during the year. We also go on many field trips together with the other homeschooling families throughout the year. Special classes are also offered at the school. So don't tell me that having a teaching certificate automatically provides accountability. That's a bunch of hooey. :)

(((Hugs ))) to all you home school parents. Both of my brothers are home schooling their children. My oldest brother and his wife are both teachers and are doing a fantastic. That being said my youngest brother and his wife have 4 children that they have homeschooled and they are basically illiterate not because their parents aren't teachers but because they are LAZY!!!!! I really think that this ruling will be challenged as unconstitutional.

Here is an article that explains more about the case with a link to the full decision.

Again, the Judge isn't the guy to blame. He just followed the law that has been on the books for decades. The legislature can easily fix this if enough people want them to.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/07/MNJDVF0F1.DTL

Thanks for posting this. I felt sure that it would stem from a case of child neglect - and it obviously does. You are right that the Judge is simply applying the law.

Californians are smart enough to do what it takes to get this law changed and I hope they will! As others have stated more eloquently than I can - the credentialing doesn't amount to a hill of beans for purposes of homeschooling. I think the GA law on the subject is that the homeschool teacher has to have a high school education or GED and I think that is much more reasonable and unobtrusive.

I don't know why anyone is shocked that this ruling came out of CA. Yes, CA is liberal, but that doesn't always mean innovative, fair, or correct.

In this case what it mostly means is "shackled to the teachers' unions."

I'm not surprised at all. Many liberals actually believe homeschooling to be the province of the religious right and, therefore, inherently wrong.

OT: really funny book about this topic is http://www.amazon.com/Schooled-Gord...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204914636&sr=8-1

It is a novel for middle aged kids, but we all read it (except DD7) and laughed our heads off!

I"m on the fence as to what I think about this. Yes, some public schools are sub-par and that's putting it mildly. I do believe parents should exercise their rights and options and get their kids the best education they can. On the other hand, I know of two families in my district that claim to homeschool when all they do is let their kids run wild in the neighborhood. Should they be allowed to hide behind the umbrella of homeschooling when they aren't? No, I dont believe they should. Because those kids will become our problem later in life. They probably have less than a 7th grade education right now. I also don't believe that schools should be able to hide behind any umbrella if they aren't providing an adequate education. That's why I oppose tenure and such things,but that's another discussion.

I pulled my kid from her school because of some issues I was not happy with. I did not opt to home school because I know my limitations and what I can and can not teach her. I'm not comfortable taking on the role of teacher when my math skills are dismal. I wanted more for her than my own math-stupid brain could offer, so I chose cyberschool. That works for some parents and myhat is off to them. For us, it's a nightmare. They have no opportunities to mix and mingle with peers, no field trips that aren't 6 hours away from where I live, no support. My kid became really depressed, so we talked an decided to give bricks and mortar school another shot. The school is making my life a living hell at the moment, including having her un-enrolled from her cyberschool but not enrolling her in their school. In short, she's not enrolled anywhere right now and mom is bitching a blue streak all throughtout Pennsylvania. I still don't feel comfortable home schooling her. Would I love it of there was some protection for me right now? Oh hell yes, I would. I'd love to have some judge lay the proverbial smack down on her school because I"m fed up. Sorry, needed a bit of a rant there.

While I'm ranting and raving, I'd like to rant some more. I read a few things here that kind of ticked me off. Yes, I'm a working mother and I"m sure that makes me a monster in the eyes of some. But, being as I chose to explore several options and do what is best for my kid, I resent the implication that parents who send their kids to school are somehow letting others handle their kids. I'm sorry if this offends, but the uppity attitude some home schoolers seem to carry with them is a big reason the idea turned me off so much to begin with. Is it too much to ask that we at least realize that there are shades of grey in any given situation? Sorry, I'm a bit riled up at the moment. *storms off muttering curses under her breath at the stupid school admins*

I don't know why anyone is shocked that this ruling came out of CA. Yes, CA is liberal, but that doesn't always mean innovative, fair, or correct.

In this case what it mostly means is "shackled to the teachers' unions."

I'm not surprised at all. Many liberals actually believe homeschooling to be the province of the religious right and, therefore, inherently wrong.

OT: really funny book about this topic is http://www.amazon.com/Schooled-Gord...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204914636&sr=8-1

It is a novel for middle aged kids, but we all read it (except DD7) and laughed our heads off!

Those are great points, angelmom! I sometimes forget that lots of folks view homeschooling as something only extreme religious folks do.

I agree with this. I know a few exceptionally educated and intelligent kids who were home-schooled, so it can be done. I also know some who I feel were sold short, educationally speaking.

I sent my son to public School his whole life. He graduates in a couple of months. He had to ask my 9 year old(who is home schooled) how to write a letter to a College. The Government better start worrying about the Public School that they have allowed to get out of control. Then they can worry about Home Schools.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back