Covid-19 Vaccine Development

never understood supply problems after the big lead in encouraging demand-

this article says that previous federal allotment was based on total adult population, not on the population of medical workers, elderly. etc., so that federal shipments were not based in the CDC guidelines states used to set up programs.

COVID vaccine distribution plan creates winners, losers among states

Please excuse my ignorance if this has been posted and discussed - it is my first comment in this forum/thread.
SO --
What is with Canada, Japan, and Australia turning into Irma - my "dig in everyone's trash to collect random items" hoarding neighbor?

According to NBC News, Australia, Canada, and Japan are being accused of hoarding tons of vaccine - hence, my comparison to Irma.

Currently, Canada is reported to have enough vaccine for every single citizen 6 times over. And Austrailia has approximately 1% of worldwide COVID-19 cases, and yet, they have 6% of the total amount of vaccine in the world!
If Japan is thrown into the mix - these three countries have a total of 20% of all the total vaccine available worldwide. Wow. It's like toilet paper 6 months ago. Or, Costco selling vaccine and 3 people buy everything.

I have no distain for the health officials in these three countries. Actually, just the opposite. These countries, obviously, have great concern for their citizens and wanted to secure as much vaccine as possible.

The health officials in Japan, Australia, and Canada are concerned about their citizens and they acted quickly. Frankly, sitting here in the US, I am quite envious.
I would like to ask other posters if they have an issue with so much vaccine in places where there are less victims. Obviously, the vaccine will not be used right away as there is so much excess. What if other countries are in need of vaccine immediately and there is none available?Should victims have to endure suffering and death just because their country's health officials were unable to get vaccine when available? And, should country's like Australia be made to give up their stock?

Honestly, I am at a loss on this one. With so much death, even one day makes a huge impact. The sooner ALL people have access to the vaccine, the better off our world will be. This virus just sucks and there have already been so many who've died. I hate to think of healthy people who are ready to be vaccinated waiting even a day or an hour.

Please excuse my ignorance if this has been posted and discussed - it is my first comment in this forum/thread.
SO --
What is with Canada, Japan, and Australia turning into Irma - my "dig in everyone's trash to collect random items" hoarding neighbor?

According to NBC News, Australia, Canada, and Japan are being accused of hoarding tons of vaccine - hence, my comparison to Irma.

Currently, Canada is reported to have enough vaccine for every single citizen 6 times over. And Austrailia has approximately 1% of worldwide COVID-19 cases, and yet, they have 6% of the total amount of vaccine in the world!
If Japan is thrown into the mix - these three countries have a total of 20% of all the total vaccine available worldwide. Wow. It's like toilet paper 6 months ago. Or, Costco selling vaccine and 3 people buy everything.

I have no distain for the health officials in these three countries. Actually, just the opposite. These countries, obviously, have great concern for their citizens and wanted to secure as much vaccine as possible.

The health officials in Japan, Australia, and Canada are concerned about their citizens and they acted quickly. Frankly, sitting here in the US, I am quite envious.
I would like to ask other posters if they have an issue with so much vaccine in places where there are less victims. Obviously, the vaccine will not be used right away as there is so much excess. What if other countries are in need of vaccine immediately and there is none available?Should victims have to endure suffering and death just because their country's health officials were unable to get vaccine when available? And, should country's like Australia be made to give up their stock?

Honestly, I am at a loss on this one. With so much death, even one day makes a huge impact. The sooner ALL people have access to the vaccine, the better off our world will be. This virus just sucks and there have already been so many who've died. I hate to think of healthy people who are ready to be vaccinated waiting even a day or an hour.
I will speak for Australia if you don't mind - Aus does not have any vaccine supplies at the moment. Not one Australian has been vaccinated. What the government orders from overseas is not necessarily what we will get.

We expect to get the Pfizer vaccine late February to cover 5 million people, one fifth of our population. The rest will be getting the Astrazeneca vaccine which will be months away and to be manufactured locally by CSL an Aus company.

Earlier there were reports that if we have any spare supply, we will give them to other countries. But right now even the local rollout is unclear.

Supply delays could threaten start of Australia's Covid vaccine rollout

I happen to understand the situation in America, and personally. I have an elderly aunt in New Jersey who just recently died of covid. She actually got the vaccine a few days before symptoms appeared. Two weeks later she was in ICU and died a day later. No one was with her, friends or family. And of course we can't travel from Australia. She had family in both countries. Touch wood the Aus family are safe for now.

Woooohoooooooo

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 – 22 January 2021

source

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

Yesterday, the United States of America announced that it plans to retain its membership in WHO.

I want to thank my brother Dr Tony Fauci once again for addressing the Executive Board so early in his morning.

I was also honoured to speak with Vice-President Kamala Harris in the first hours of her first full work day. Thank you again, Madame Vice President.

The United States has long played a vital role in global health. The US was a founding member of WHO, and has been a leader in the fight against many diseases, from smallpox to polio, and malaria to HIV.

The US contributes an enormous amount to global health, but it also benefits from WHO’s work on a range of diseases, both infectious and non-communicable.

American public health professionals who work at WHO and in other global health agencies gain valuable experience and lessons to use at home.

And a healthier, safer world is a healthier, safer America.

So we welcome President Biden’s commitment not just to remaining part of the WHO family, but to working constructively with WHO, its Member States and the multilateral system to end the pandemic and address the many health challenges we face globally.

In that sense, we welcome the Biden administration’s commitment to protect women’s and girl’s sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights around the world.

It comes at a critical juncture - as the world prepares for the 25th anniversary of the landmark Beijing Declaration on women's rights – that helped shape gender equality and women’s movements globally.

We also welcome the United States’ commitment to rejoin the Paris Agreement on climate change, which will have major benefits for the health of our planet, and for human health.

We look forward to working with the United States and all Member States as we prepare for a successful COP-26 climate conference later this year.

And we welcome the United States’ commitment to support the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator, and to join COVAX.

Vaccines are giving us all hope of ending the pandemic and getting the global economy on the road to recovery. But we can only end the pandemic anywhere if we end it everywhere.

And to do that, we need every Member State, every partner, and every vaccine producer on board.

That’s why today I’m glad to announce that COVAX has signed an agreement with Pfizer/BioNTech for up to 40 million doses of its vaccine.

Additionally, pending WHO emergency use listing, we expect almost 150 million doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine to be available for distribution by COVAX in the first quarter of this year.

Together, these announcements mean COVAX could begin delivering doses in February, provided we can finalize a supply agreement for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, and emergency use listing for the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine.

COVAX is on track to deliver 2 billion doses by the end of this year.

This agreement also opens the door for countries who are willing to share doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to donate them to COVAX and support rapid rollout.

In my remarks to the WHO Executive Board on Monday, I called on the international community to work together as one global family to ensure the vaccination of health workers and older people is underway in all countries within the first 100 days of this year.

The commitment of the United States to join COVAX, together with this new agreement with Pfizer/BioNTech, mean that we are closer to fulfilling the promise of COVAX.

Today I’m pleased to be joined by Albert Bourla, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pfizer.

Albert and I have had several conversations as we have worked together to make this agreement happen.

Albert, thank you for your partnership. You have the floor.

[MR BOURLA ADDRESSED THE MEDIA AND INTRODUCED DR SETH BERKLEY, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF GAVI, WHO ALSO ADDRESSED THE MEDIA]

Thank you, Seth. As we have often said, it’s not vaccines on their own that will help to end the pandemic, it’s vaccination.

UNICEF is playing a vital role in preparing countries for the delivery and rollout of vaccines, and I’m pleased to welcome Henrietta Fore, the Executive Director of UNICEF.

Henrietta, thank you as always for your close partnership. You have the floor.

[ED FORE ADDRESSED THE MEDIA]

Thank you Henrietta, and thank you once again to Albert and Seth.

It’s important we all remember that vaccines will complement, but not replace, the proven public health measures that have been shown to suppress transmission and save lives.

We still have a lot of work to do, but the light at the end of the tunnel continues to grow brighter.

I thank you.

The single- dose Johnson & Johnson is not nearly as effective as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

Although a single dose would be nice, I would prefer the extra efficacy of a two dose series.

JMO
Johnson & Johnson 1-dose shot prevents COVID-19, but less than some others

J&J said Friday that in the U.S. and seven other countries, the single-shot vaccine was 66% effective overall at preventing moderate to severe illness, and much more protective — 85% — against the most serious symptoms.

There was some geographic variation. The vaccine worked better in the U.S. — 72% effective against moderate to severe COVID-19 – compared to 57% in South Africa, where it was up against an easier-to-spread

RSBM What is with Canada, Japan, and Australia turning into Irma - my "dig in everyone's trash to collect random items" hoarding neighbor?According to NBC News, Australia, Canada, and Japan are being accused of hoarding tons of vaccine - hence, my comparison to Irma. Currently, Canada is reported to have enough vaccine for every single citizen 6 times over. And Austrailia has approximately 1% of worldwide COVID-19 cases, and yet, they have 6% of the total amount of vaccine in the world! If Japan is thrown into the mix - these three countries have a total of 20% of all the total vaccine available worldwide. Wow. It's like toilet paper 6 months ago. Or, Costco selling vaccine and 3 people buy everything.

So much to unpack here, and some I think this above post may not be working with correct facts.

Would be easier if it was broken down to address just the first 2 points in OP.

#1 - Can you Link to the statement made in above post....where Canada HAS VACCINE for 6 times their population at this time as this above post states as fact. First I have heard, and doubt but would like to be educated if so.

#2 - Can you Link to any statement made in above post ( @SouthAussie may have input) that they HAVE VACCINE at this time that equals 6% of the population as this above posts states as fact. (iirc, we have discussed much on these threads that they don't start vaccinating for some time). I don't agree and question so asking for link.

Here is current status of vaccines in arms Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

And yes, it is through WHO and others that many are trying to ensure that the vaccine gets to places where needed most and equitable. But too much to go into for one post... so perhaps @Tabulator you can give info supporting just these first two, or someone else so as to continue discussion of what you are inquiring?

ETA: I see that @Via Marple has already corrected between your post and this one.

I will speak for Australia if you don't mind - Aus does not have any vaccine supplies at the moment. Not one Australian has been vaccinated. What the government orders from overseas is not necessarily what we will get. We expect to get the Pfizer vaccine late February to cover 5 million people, one fifth of our population. The rest will be getting the Astrazeneca vaccine which will be months away and to be manufactured locally by CSL an Aus company. Earlier there were reports that if we have any spare supply, we will give them to other countries. But right now even the local rollout is unclear.

Supply delays could threaten start of Australia's Covid vaccine rollout

I happen to understand the situation in America, and personally. I have an elderly aunt in New Jersey who just recently died of covid. She actually got the vaccine a few days before symptoms appeared. Two weeks later she was in ICU and died a day later. No one was with her, friends or family. And of course we can't travel from Australia. She had family in both countries. Touch wood the Aus family are safe for now.

Perhaps if we can also address the one re Canada having 6x vaccine for population and the rest of the post prior to potential dissemination of misinformation on this thread? Or perhaps an education for us all that we have missed here following?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back