Crazy Pills

dingo said:
Im sorry I made light of this aswell....I didnt realize the more serious side effects of taking the drug....my apologies:eek: .

Oh gosh, dingo- don't worry about it, no need for you to be sorry!! Medications affect everyone differently.

kazzbar said:
I suffer from insomnia also.I excercise , have lost weight, keep busy but still I do not sleep.I am slowly working my way through over the counter sleep treatments. i sleep then wake up and cannot get back to sleep. Every night... Damn near drives me nuts! Of course, the less sleep I have the less I tend to need but it wears me out.The whole sleep thing is just a train wreck and i just live with no sleep.I know there are a lot of members with the same affliction on here... I think we should start an insomniacs only thread!:rolleyes:

LOL yeah, just look at the time stamps on our postings!

txsvicki said:
I've had trouble getting sleepy at night for 12 years since having a lupus like illness after taking the Hep B immunization and Ambien was the only thing that helped. Ambien did cause me to become forgetful, could have caused GERD, and I once got up and got a twinkie then woke up the next day with it smushed all over my pillow and side of my face. My friend got up and drove over to her boyfriend's house, sat in a chair, and went to sleep. People should go straight to bed when taking it but it makes you feel a little lighthearted and good, so after awhile I believe people stay up too long to get these effects.

See, I didn't get drowsey or "lightheaded" on Ambien and that is what caused the problems for me. I did not get sleepy from them therefore I stayed awake and that's why the strange symptoms took place.

However, what you are saying is true when it comes to addicts fighting the "high" of narcotics. One of the first times I played around with pills was with a friend of mine.. we both took 2 pills and had a compitition as to who could stay awake on them the longest.

shdbepaintin said:
This is true with me.
I take Ambien and I have a hard time timing when to go to bed. Because there is a few minutes where you feel really good, like no problems etc.... and then you are out. The crazy thing I do is eat, but I am aware. But I continue to eat and doze off and then wake up and take another bite, like of a cheeto for example. Sitting in front of the computer eating and sleeping. Sometimes the next day I have to really really think hard what I have ate the night before. I eat more after taking the ambien then I do all day sometimes.
I have never gotten up after going to bed and done anything. It is just that hour after taking it. Eating and talking on the phone. I usually don't remember conversations.
And Hubby has "you know" and I didn't remember most of it either.
Sorry to ramble. I swear it is morning and I have not taken anything this morning. Know if this had been at night, I have no idea what I might post.

Ya know, I hadn't really thought about it until I read your post but in hindsight, I realize that I ate a lot when I was on Ambien as well.

You mentioned..
shdbepaintin said:
"I have never gotten up after going to bed and done anything. It is just that hour after taking it. Eating and talking on the phone. I usually don't remember conversations." .
and I don't know- but I think you might have misunderstood what is meant when the symptoms and their timing are discussed. People aren't like climbing out of bed in the middle of the night and doing these things- they haven't gone to bed yet.

What you described in your post is exactly what is being refered to... the time in between taking the pill and going to your bed and sleeping.. that's when the weird stuff is happening.

I laughed out loud when I read about your husband doing "you know" and you not being aware of it. Seroquel did that to me as well as making me piss the bed. LOL

dingo said:
Have you tried Restavit Kazz......theyre over the counter meds.....hubby uses them when hes on nite shift...helps him get a better sleep

Restavit is actually an Antihistamine. Doxylamine is the name of the histamine blocker in Restavit and is the antihistamine found in NyQuil and the sleep aid found in Unisom (Unisom ) .

Antihistamines are widley used as sleep aids. Benadryl (generic name is diphenhydramine) being the most popular. Diphenhydramine is the sleep aid that's found in many over the counter sleep aids- Tylenol PM (TylenolPM , Sominex etc..

There are even people who take diphenhydramine and Doxylamine recreationally (Doses as high as 400 mgs) for the high it gives. Antihistamines are fast becoming a drug of choice for kids. It gets them high with no odor- they don't have to worry about coming home smelling like booze or pot!

It's a great drug for Insomnia if people use it responsibly- sadly in this day and age- pain pills, sleep aids and Psych meds are often wanted by addicts for it's ability to get 'em high. A prescription for danger

~~~~ You can buy a bottle of 100 diphenhydramine for about $4.00 at Walmart... it's a lot cheaper than buying Tylenol PM and other sleep aids with the same ingredients~~~~

BhamMama said:
My doctor had me on this for nerves. I seriously drooled and lost time. Which are side effects he said was rare. Scared dh so bad he asked someone how to get me off of them.

Yeah, it's some bad stuff, BhamMama! I got in SO many car accidents during the time I was prescribed Klonopin. It literally changed my personality, my moods, I experienced emotional anaesthesia and my cognitive functioning was on the decline! It caused in me what it was prescribed to treat.

Klonopin has a 18-50 hour half life so even though you don't feel "high" anymore the medication is still working hours, days later!

It's also an awful drug to withdrawl from! I have heard it be compared to Heroin withdrawl.

I am a insomniac and take stilnox, plus I suffer panic attacks and take xanax, I also take Endep which is a anti depressant, quite a cocktail but I find that they help me and have had no ill side effects whilst on these drugs. I also suffer chronic neck pain and take Mersyndol Forte when needed, the Endep also help with chronic pain sufferers.

I read recently in the newspaper that stilnox has had some pretty scary side effects. Luckilly I have not had these side effects. So far so good.

What color did she paint the door? Just curious....

OneLostGrl said:
Yeah, it's some bad stuff, BhamMama! I got in SO many car accidents during the time I was prescribed Klonopin. It literally changed my personality, my moods, I experienced emotional anaesthesia and my cognitive functioning was on the decline! It caused in me what it was prescribed to treat.

Klonopin has a 18-50 hour half life so even though you don't feel "high" anymore the medication is still working hours, days later!

It's also an awful drug to withdrawl from! I have heard it be compared to Heroin withdrawl.
Drooling is so not a good look, dead giveaway that you are on some sort of pill...

I don't know about Klonopin, but it sounds like Rohypnol- I had friends who dropped a pack of 25 at one time and still be walking (and driving) around..one of those particular friends, died in a car accident doing that.....only 20...poor kid, she was hooked on heroin at the ripe old age of 15...she never stood a chance.

I just put up with my insomnia, don't want to get addicted to anything to help me sleep- have been addicted to pills before, not pretty..

narlacat said:
Drooling is so not a good look, dead giveaway that you are on some sort of pill...

I don't know about Klonopin, but it sounds like Rohypnol- I had friends who dropped a pack of 25 at one time and still be walking (and driving) around..one of those particular friends, died in a car accident doing that.....only 20...poor kid, she was hooked on heroin at the ripe old age of 15...she never stood a chance.

I just put up with my insomnia, don't want to get addicted to anything to help me sleep- have been addicted to pills before, not pretty..
Hello Narla. I agree that it is bad to take meds for sleeping everyday. I do not want to do that either.But I think it would be good to take one now and again just to beak the cycle and do some sleep 'banking'. I try to catch up on the odd occason by having an after noon nap. Not often but now and again.It helps when you are just absolutely stuffed and feel you cannot go 'on'.I tend to get depressed about my sleep problems and this is my way of managing it.
There is no physical reason why I cannot sleep.It is just something I cannot control.I just can't turn off my crazy head!!!!!
I think we all think tooooo much......:eek:

narlacat said:

Rohypnol- now THAT'S some bad *advertiser censored*! It's in the same drug class as Klonopin (benzodiazepine) and Valium but is much more potent and is illegal in the US! The one good thing about it is the half life is pretty short compared to other Benzo's.

Rohypnol is often refered to as the "date rape drug" as it causes black outs.

OneLostGrl said:
Rohypnol- now THAT'S some bad *advertiser censored*! It's in the same drug class as Klonopin (benzodiazepine) and Valium but is much more potent and is illegal in the US! The one good thing about it is the half life is pretty short compared to other Benzo's.

Rohypnol is often refered to as the "date rape drug" as it causes black outs.
I know!!!!

I swear those girls use to drop a whole pack and would do the most outrageous things, they were always at the cop shop...

What do you mean by 'half life'??

Yes its called that here too.

Not sure how easy they are to get nowadays but it used to be really easy to get them...they were S8's...

narlacat said:
I know!!!!

I swear those girls use to drop a whole pack and would do the most outrageous things, they were always at the cop shop...

What do you mean by 'half life'??

Yes its called that here too.

Not sure how easy they are to get nowadays but it used to be really easy to get them...they were S8's...

LOL- I have the feeling that if I took Rohypnol I'd end up at the police station also!

A half life is the rate of reduction of a medication... how long a drug stays in ones system.

kazzbar said:
Hello Narla. I agree that it is bad to take meds for sleeping everyday. I do not want to do that either.But I think it would be good to take one now and again just to beak the cycle and do some sleep 'banking'. I try to catch up on the odd occason by having an after noon nap. Not often but now and again.It helps when you are just absolutely stuffed and feel you cannot go 'on'.I tend to get depressed about my sleep problems and this is my way of managing it.
There is no physical reason why I cannot sleep.It is just something I cannot control.I just can't turn off my crazy head!!!!!
I think we all think tooooo much......:eek:
Hey Kazz

That's probably a good idea...I find I sleep really crap for about four or five nights, then I'll get one fairly good (by my standards anyway lol) nights sleep.... and when it's a full moon I don't even bother going to bed lol
I love that old moon but geez it keeps me awake- you find that?

I think so...............lol

OneLostGrl said:
LOL- I have the feeling that if I took Rohypnol I'd end up at the police station also!

A half life is the rate of reduction of a medication... how long a drug stays in ones system.
Those girls were a hoot, even though I shouldn't make light of the whole situation, they really were alot of fun..
They'd play the tapes for me, them being interviewed over whatever....nothing they said made sense and they'd be laughing so hard....
Candy was particularly gorgeous and would flirt like crazy....funny....she was the one that ended up dead actually...god knows where the others ended up, I lost touch with that crew...

Ok, that's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure....

michelle said:
Hi Dingo, you think there is one that would "make my dh do laundry"? :crazy:
Sorry, I slipped my DH an ambien, all he did was snore louder, no laundry.

I have had serious insomnia problems for years. My problem is getting to sleep, not staying asleep. Once I get my brain turned off, I can sleep forever. My docs have tried just about everything, and finally we're on Ambien-CR, which has worked for me so far (about a year).

The first time I ever took regular Ambien, my Pdoc told me, take it no more than 20 minutes before you want to go to sleep, and be by the bed, if not in it. Don't have anything else you need to do, cause when it hits, it hits. So, 1st nite comes, hubby is upstairs on computer, I figured I'd play on the computer in our room for a while. When he came down, it was obviously more than 20 minutes later, and I was telling him to come look at my computer, it had dancing blue and pink lights on it. He was sooooo confused, and kept telling me no, honey, it doesn't. Oh come on, can't you see 'em, they're right there, and if I push this button, they dance in time to music. "no honey, I think you've had enought tonite". Finally, I told him if he took one of my pills, he'd see it too !! He has never let me forget it, and my kids are always wanting to watch me take my ambien.

I am very careful with it now, and do stay in my room after I take it. I did not like the hallucinations, and then not remembering it in the morning,. AWFUL !!! But, it did give me a bit of a "high" feeling there for a bit. I don't get that any more.

One think that works for others in my family is melatonin. Buy it over the counter, it's natural, and works well for them.

I have to be very careful with things like Benadryl, etc., because I have epilepsy and many of the OTC drugs decrease the threshold for sz. So, I'm stuck on my Ambien-CR for now. Luckily, I haven't driven in 4 years, so doubt I'll take off driving one nite.

kazzbar said:
I am very interested in this Cd, Curious 1. I am willing to give it a go....Tell me more.
Hi Kazz. I was not ignoring you, I was away for the weekend. I will get the name of the cd and where you can purchase. I'll PM you the info unless anyone else expresses interest.

barb0301 said:
I have had serious insomnia problems for years. My problem is getting to sleep, not staying asleep. Once I get my brain turned off, I can sleep forever. My docs have tried just about everything, and finally we're on Ambien-CR, which has worked for me so far (about a year).

The first time I ever took regular Ambien, my Pdoc told me, take it no more than 20 minutes before you want to go to sleep, and be by the bed, if not in it. Don't have anything else you need to do, cause when it hits, it hits. So, 1st nite comes, hubby is upstairs on computer, I figured I'd play on the computer in our room for a while. When he came down, it was obviously more than 20 minutes later, and I was telling him to come look at my computer, it had dancing blue and pink lights on it. He was sooooo confused, and kept telling me no, honey, it doesn't. Oh come on, can't you see 'em, they're right there, and if I push this button, they dance in time to music. "no honey, I think you've had enought tonite". Finally, I told him if he took one of my pills, he'd see it too !! He has never let me forget it, and my kids are always wanting to watch me take my ambien.

I am very careful with it now, and do stay in my room after I take it. I did not like the hallucinations, and then not remembering it in the morning,. AWFUL !!! But, it did give me a bit of a "high" feeling there for a bit. I don't get that any more.

One think that works for others in my family is melatonin. Buy it over the counter, it's natural, and works well for them.

I have to be very careful with things like Benadryl, etc., because I have epilepsy and many of the OTC drugs decrease the threshold for sz. So, I'm stuck on my Ambien-CR for now. Luckily, I haven't driven in 4 years, so doubt I'll take off driving one nite.
Mine is the opposite.

I can get to sleep, but can't stay asleep.

I wake at least every two hours.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back