Crime Junkie - plagarism?

Discussion in 'PODCAST ROW' started by amandab, Aug 30, 2019.

1. amandab

amandab Well-Known Member

2. meowmagnet

meowmagnet New Member

Strangeworld and amandab like this.
  3. Soulmagent

Soulmagent Well-Known Member

Strangeworld and byo like this.
  4. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

Charley Project has been plagiarized by this podcast if I remember what Meaghan told me.

5. JEMJSM

JEMJSM New Member

It is disappointing to see that this happened. I am hoping that they have had a wake up call with this and that they start scrutinizing their work better to make sure that credit is given where credit is due. I do enjoy the way that they summarize much of the into a way that is easy to listen to and is engaging. Only time will tell if they will survive this. But truth be told I wasn't even aware of the plagarism until I saw this thread. I am sure many others out there don't even know.

Strangeworld likes this.
  6. TristanP

TristanP Well-Known Member

It’s 100% true and it’s shameful that they have refused to acknowledge it and continue to make money off other people’s hard work.

I highly recommend listening to the “Let’s Taco Bout True Crime” podcast that discusses this. It has Esther, the host of Once Upon A Crime, Robin Warder, the host of The Trail Went Cold, and Steven Pacheco, host of Trace Evidence, all of whom were victims of Crime Junkie’s plagiarism.

It’s been going on for a long time. They don’t deserve to have a podcast at all at this point. There’s quite a bit of legal action in the works here and they have no way to fight it. The proof is there and has been well documented.

7. JEMJSM

JEMJSM New Member

Thank you for the info! I will definitely check it out. :)

Strangeworld likes this.
  8. Mockturtle22

Mockturtle22 Alice, by another name.

With my podcast, we try to at least put our links to the research in the show notes. Depending on the episode. I'm hoping to be better about this in our next season, but sometimes it happens. I'm not sure what exactly they mean by this.. tbh, I know some podcasters will go directly from the Wikipedia pages and not even bother to summarize it in their own words, which I know I always do.

9. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Well-Known Member

From what has been expressed by other podcasts and authors of the original work, it appears the reason the summaries were so good is because it was taken from others lol. I think there are word-for-word examples.

CatsNTats likes this.
  10. Not In My Backyard

Not In My Backyard Member

I was on the fence until I heard the “let’s taco bout crime episode”. I listen to tons of true crime podcasts and to hear the work that goes into each one and copying almost word for word was hard to hear. I get summarizing and sounding similar but this was more. If they came out with a good apology and a sincere attempt to do better pledge. I may have been able to overlook it. But they went on their merry way and to have all the podcasters like robin w and Steven p discuss their hard work only to have crime junkie rise to the top of the ranks using others material, made me decide I need to support the podcasters who do the hard work. I remember listening to the Amber Tuscadero episode on CJ and feeling a déjà vu at a certain part because I had listened to another podcast about her a while ago and I had to stop and think If I was listening to the same podcast again.

I like crime junkie and they were easy to listen to. This makes me sad. No wonder our teachers were so insistent on no plagiarism in school.

11. Mockturtle22

Lol yikes. That's not good at all, especially if money is being made off of the podcast.

LaLaBandicoot and Strangeworld like this.
  12. Mockturtle22

I agree with this. It sometimes takes me weeks or months to research and write up an episode. It's like a slap in the face when someone makes money off of someone else's work. ESPECIALLY if somehow it's from something that isn't making a profit. Ugh. Makes me not quite want to listen to them.

Strangeworld likes this.
  13. misspaige

misspaige New Member

It's a shame, I really liked this podcast.

Not In My Backyard likes this.
  14. Marilynilpa

Marilynilpa Well-Known Member

I have had much of my research that has been posted on the Alice Parsons thread here on WS used verbatim in various places without even a mention of my name. Some of the info I posted came from interviews with family members, police, Suffolk County, NY officials, etc., and isn’t info another person would be likely to uncover on their own.

Copyright exists from the moment you create your work, but you do have to register for a copyright if you want to sue someone in the U.S. for copyright infringement.

Copyright in General (FAQ) | U.S. Copyright Office

With so many podcasts and blogs nowadays, I imagine plagiarism and copyright infringement is commonplace. JMO.

But it sure would be nice if people would give credit where credit is due!

15. Tuffgong

Tuffgong Former Member

They are unethical for sure, but I choose not to listen because it is such a horrible podcast.

Strangeworld likes this.
  16. CatsNTats

CatsNTats Cold Case Chronicles

As an investigative podcast, I know how much work goes into the investigation and preparation. I know some podcasts are out there to simply tell the story, and that is great, but it is a Junior High mistake to repeat someone else's hard work and monetize off of it as your own. I know for a fact she is still plagiarizing a fellow podcaster and he will be releasing at least 14 episodes soon about what she has stolen from him. His podcast is Trace Evidence.

17. emraeshine

emraeshine New Member

How is it plagiarism if they're retelling a story? To be factual, you have to retell a story as is...

18. CatsNTats

CatsNTats Cold Case Chronicles

That is true, but if you retell it word for word without citing the source you are stealing someone else's work. "Re-telling" is one thing, but telling it exactly without giving credit to the person who did all the work is where it gets you in trouble.

Doghairrules, Laughing and mlw987m like this.
  19. Scotchcorner

Scotchcorner Active Member

Seeing this thread is the first I’ve heard of the plagiarism issue with Crime Junkie. It wasn’t nearly my favourite podcast, but it was in a list I listened to every episode for a while until a few months ago i just stopped listening to it. It wasn’t a conscious decision but either the podcast changed or my taste evolved away from it. I really like True Crime Garage.

Laughing, mlw987m and Strangeworld like this.
  20. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Well-Known Member

I'm with you Scotchcorner, TCG is so great! Over time it's still one of my top podcasts, my only complaint is waiting for new episodes :)

Laughing and Scotchcorner like this.