Crimes where families don't want the victims identity revealed, create a post or not

TootsieFootsie

Reaction score
I recently came across a news article where a body of a person missing for over 10 years has now been identified.
I've searched WS a few times since I found the article and there doesn't seem to be a thread here.

I thought of starting a thread but the family doesn't want the victims identity revealed.
In cases like that should we not create a thread about it, or is it ok to do so.

I think anyone starting a thread where the family is against the identity being revealed would have to consider what the true benefit of doing so would be. It's a difficult question to answer IMO. Does revealing the identity have a greater importance to society than it does to the family? Hard one.

I agree it’s difficult. Many times we have a lot of effort and emotion as well put into these cases(Lyle Stevik, Eldorado/Kelly) and I really have to think, does the family’s privacy outweigh the need to know from all these people who have tried to help get this person’s identity back to them?

Sometimes -- a thread has already been removed for the reasons you cite.

Recently there was such a thread, adult remains identified by forensic genetics. The family requested privacy & the thread is gone.

I suppose if LE continues to ask for public input we'd work on it?

jmho ymmv lrr

Sometimes -- a thread has already been removed for the reasons you cite.

Recently there was such a thread, adult remains identified by forensic genetics. The family requested privacy & the thread is gone.
That could very well be the one.

Someone has now posted the article up though he wasn't reported missing for three years after the thread heading.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back