CT CT - Billy Smolinski, 31, Waterbury, 24 Aug 2004

From the above link:

Now, the Smolinskis and their attorneys will return to court on November 20, 2013, to present one last argument before the Connecticut Appellate Court: asking for the ruling to be overturned, allowing them — and all families of the missing — the right to hang fliers of their loved ones.

Their new attorneys — Steven Kelly and Anne McKenna of the legal firm SilverMcKenna — have taken the case on a pro bono basis. They will travel from Baltimore, Maryland, to Connecticut to present their arguments against this ruling on November 20, 2013.

Family of missing Billy Smolinski argues against paying judgment in civil case
By Michelle Tuccitto Sullo, New Haven Register
Posted: 11/20/13, 7:55 PM EST | Updated: on 11/20/2013

Snipped:

“The trial court’s verdict was met with outrage, and it is difficult to comprehend how a grieving family could be held civilly liable,” Kelly said. “The police themselves still suspect Madeleine Gleason knows something about the disappearance of Billy Smolinski.”

After the hearing, Kelly said he took the case for free because he had a similar tragedy in his own family. His sister disappeared and was missing for six months before her body was found. She had been murdered, Kelly said.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...-argues-against-paying-judgment-in-civil-case

WNPR Takes on Billy Smolinski Case, Issue of Missing Persons
By Lucy Nalpathanchil

Snipped:

doc4f410057950a17878368241.jpg

Jan and William Smolinski of Cheshire believe their missing son, William “Billy” Smolinski Jr., was murdered. (2010 file photo: Mara Lavitt/Register)

http://www.connecticutmag.com/Blog/...illy-Smolinski-Case-Issue-of-Missing-Persons/

The case has just been aired via "ID Discovery" on Spain's TV

The show was dubbed into spanish, so I'm not sure if some details has been misinterpreted/lost in translation.

For example, in the show was stated that Billy announced to his neighbor that he was going to be out of town for three days, as he was going to travel north. As per the show, he didn't announce this trip to anyone else, is that correct?

If yes, a three days travel north from CT would take you to north Maine or Canada, at least. Isn't that a too big of a trip to do on a normal working week without announcing to your boss? I find this to be very odd.

I wonder if the neighbor was well questioned and investigated by LE, or if his house was also searched and analized. Nothing is mentioned in the show regarding if he was discarded or not, was he?

If Billy was really travelling north that day I think (although is pure speculation, of course) the travel was arranged at the very last minute in a hurry. I'm thinking this way: if MG's son or any other person(s) wanted to kill Billy and dispose of the body in a location too distant to be ever looked, they would have it very easy knowing Billy's passion for refurbishing cars: they propose him a too-good-to-be-true deal asking him to go to pick the car in a distant place and inmediately, or they will sell the car to other buyer. Billy agrees to go and is killed and buried, and the perps return his car home leaving it at the entry of the driveway, where Billy would have never let it parked but the perps couldn't know the detail. The perp(s) would have maybe though that parking the car at Billy's driveway would allow him/them to gain some time before anything weird is detected. Also, this scenario could explain the necessity of three days, since if you gonna buy a car you'll need at least one day to arrange the papers, towing of the car, etc.

Were traced the phone calls made/received by Billy in the 24 hours preceding his dissapearance, specially those made to/from northern states?

Thanks in advance for your answers, please excuse my bad english.

Just watched the Disappeared episode on Netflix. I get so angry thinking of what Billy's mother has gone through.

Hopefully, Disappeared episodes being available on Netflix will bring more exposure and resolution to some of these cases.

I agree, it is horrible how she was treated. The judge should have been removed from the bench. It is totally senseless to treat the loved one/s of a missing person like that. It makes me sick to think what if this starts happening more and more? I believe the ex knows what happened and was involved as well.

I hope he can be found and his family can have peace and justice.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...-in-search-for-sons-body-at-beacon-falls-site

It has been more than 10 weeks since two dogs trained to detect cadavers alerted searchers to a location of interest in the case of missing Waterbury man William “Billy” Smolinski Jr.

However, police have not yet done a search of the property, public land in Beacon Falls, to see if Smolinski’s remains are there.

Smolinski’s family members, who have been waiting almost a decade for his body to be found, said this week the delay is “frustrating.”

Billy Smolinski, Gone Since 2004, Is Part of a 'Silent Mass Disaster'
Ten years ago, Billy Smolinski went away. Where he went, nobody knows. Nobody knows why he went there, if he went willingly. Nobody knows if he was killed or if he just skipped town. If he went into hiding, nobody knows where. Nobody knows why.

Newsweek has published an excellent article about Billy with links to missing persons statistics, dna extraction labs and the Smolinski's efforts to pass "Billy's Law."
This Sunday will mark ten years that Billy has been missing.

http://www.waterburyobserver.org/node/2017

Ten years after his 31-year-old son vanished from Waterbury, Bill Smolinski Sr. uncorked a raw emotional speech last night during a Missing Persons Vigil held on the Naugatuck Green. When Billy Smolinski disappeared on August 24th, 2004, his family had trouble getting the Waterbury PD to take the report of a missing adult male seriously. Frustrated, the family had little choice but to search for Billy themselves. The results have been nightmarish.

This is true in the vast majority of missing person cases-for each case we see here at Websleuths where the authorities have pulled out all the stops to find a missing person, there are probably hundreds where LE won't even take a missing person report, much less actually mount a search. The police, I'm sure, know that he didn't leave willingly.

In the 70's on Staten Island, a young woman named Sylvia Lwowski was on a date with her fiance-he came back without her, saying they'd had a fight and she bolted from the car, never to be seen again. The police seem to have bought that story, and never looked for her, or asked any questions. This manner of dealing with missing people is rampant.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...sing-waterbury-mans-family-in-defamation-case

The state Supreme Court has agreed to hear the appeal of missing Waterbury man William “Billy” Smolinski Jr.’s family members, who hope to overturn a civil ruling that ordered them to pay a $52,666 judgment to Smolinski’s former girlfriend...

“They did agree to hear the case, so now we are just waiting for a court date for a hearing,” Janice Smolinski said Wednesday. “The case involves both First Amendment rights and victims’ rights. It will be a landmark case. If the (lower courts’ rulings) are allowed to stand, it could impact anyone who hangs a poster about their missing loved one and open them up to a defamation case if someone is bothered by it.”

I hope the Ct. State Supreme Court overturns the ruling. This is really ridiculous-so what if some of the posters were near her home and work? She dated Billy, and it makes sense that someone near those places might have seen Billy there. She broke up with him, didn't she? Between that, and her claim that she had nothing to do with his disappearance, this shouldn't have bothered her even a little bit.

http://waterburyobserver.org/node/2024

Today, U.S. Senators Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Mark Begich (D-Alaska), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), and Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), as well as U.S. Congressmen Ted Poe (R-Texas) and Elizabeth Esty (D-Conn.) introduced Billy’s Law, also known as the Help Find the Missing Act – legislation that would close loopholes in our national missing persons systems...

Billy's Law, which was originally introduced in 2009 by then Congressman Chris Murphy, was inspired by Janice Smolinski of Cheshire, Connecticut. In 2004, her 31-year-old son Billy went missing from Waterbury, Connecticut. When faced with the nightmare of trying to locate her missing son, Smolinski faced countless systemic challenges when trying to work with law enforcement to find him. Murphy penned Billy's Law to address those challenges and help ensure that more families do not encounter the hurdles the Smolinskis faced as they searched for their son.

A couple of questions:

I've read that family and friends searched a section along the Naugatuck river…would anyone know which section, specifically?

The daughter who committed suicide lived on Nichols St, Seymour, CT. Did any of the other family members live there? I've read that, that house or property was searched…would anyone know what type of search took place there?

If the son Shawn did not live at the above address are there know address's for him? Did he attend Seymour High School?

Where was the Mother's apartment at the time?

SK's obituary lists his place of death as Litchfield Turnpike in Woodbridge, which is also where his mother, MG lived, so I assume he lived with her or was at least staying with her at the time. He attended Seymour High School.

KR's father lived in Seymour but had moved to West Haven and is listed as living on East Street in his obit (same year as KR's death). Her brother, who was arrested on fleeing, drug possession and other crimes in 2007, is listed at the same Nichols street address, so I assume KR and her brother lived with their mother, though I don't know that for sure. KR's obit says she went to Seymour schools and was a lifelong resident of Seymour.

I do not think it was announced exactly where on the Naugatauk River was searched. It runs through Waterbury, where BS lived.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back