GUILTY CT - J B, 14, Hartford, 27 Aug 2014

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
A vigil is planned Monday night at Dillon Stadium for a 14-year-old city girl who went missing on Aug. 25.

J B, a student at CREC's Two Rivers Magnet School, was last seen by her father about 2 p.m. that day when she asked to go outside her house on Natalie Street.

B is 5-feet 5-inches, 220 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a purple shirt with a hood, gray pants and white sneakers. Her hair was tied back.

"I'm afraid somebody lured her from the house and I'm afraid she's not coming back. Somebody has her," said her mother, J O, last week.

"She always tells us where she's going," O said.

Esquilin said Thursday that the family requested the FBI's assistance in locating B.

http://www.courant.com/community/ha...ssing-girl-vigil-0905-20140904,0,418271.story

The FBI has joined the investigation alongside Hartford Police. Deputy Chief Foley says this is not an abduction case and that all indications are that Ji B left on her own.

FOX CT spoke with Ji’s mother, J O, about her daughter.

O immediately mentioned that she believes J met someone online that offered her a better life, and that J may have gone off with him or her.

J is described by her mother as a loveable and honest person, but one that is naive.

O said, “She might be taken advantage of because she’s not street smart.”

Around the time of her disappearance, J had been asking the names of the side streets surrounding her home, and for directions on how to get to her house, where they had lived for years.

J did take a prepaid cell phone with her, but her history only shows calls and texts with her family members. Police are trying to find her using the phone’s GPS, but O said as of 4 p.m. Friday they were on hour 27 of a 48-hour window to use the GPS.

J has no known medical conditions. After her disappearance a letter was found in her room that was addressed to her family. The letter said she’s not happy, that she feels bad about being heavy and feels like she is a problem. She also said she thinks her family is ignoring the issue of her weight and not helping her. J is an active participant in her school and activities. None of her friends have heard from her. She isn’t dating anyone, according to her mother.

Officers have searched J’s electronic devices, which include a computer, an iPad Mini, a Kindle and a Nintendo. Her mother provided them with account usernames and passwords for GMail, but officers found one account O was unaware of. However, none of the accounts or devices provided insight into where she might have gone or who she might have left with.

B was last seen in her backyard wearing a purple short, gray shorts, white sneakers and a blue book bag with butterflies on it. She has never run away before.

http://foxct.com/2014/08/29/silver-alert-issued-for-teenage-girl-in-hartford/

Wow.

This is so heart-breaking.

The letter said she’s not happy, that she feels bad about being heavy and feels like she is a problem. She also said she thinks her family is ignoring the issue of her weight and not helping her.

And at least equally heart-breaking that she feels like she needs help regarding her weight yet she also feels her family isn't on the same page.

While based on the letter I can see the concern about feeling she could have been lured by someone - anyone online really - who promised to help her with her weight or who was grooming her and making her feel loved, I'm still surprised by mom's comments.

"I'm afraid somebody lured her from the house and I'm afraid she's not coming back. Somebody has her," said her mother, J O, last week.

She's jumped all the way to Jillian not coming back already?

I can see why she night feel someone lured her, because I do think that could be the case. But already thinking she won't come back just seems like a drastic leap.

And given her clear unhappiness that the letter conveys, it surprises me they seem to be ignoring the suicide possibility.

Around the time of her disappearance, J had been asking the names of the side streets surrounding her home, and for directions on how to get to her house, where they had lived for years.

I have to admit the above really surprises me.

She's 14 and doesn't know the streets even just surrounding her own home? And she asked for directions (presumably to relay to someone else) :thinking:

[Obviously I understand why they're thinking this could also indicate voluntarily leaving, but I'm surprised to see a teen of her age not at least knowing the surrounding streets.

I too am surpised about the street name questions....it does sound like she wanted to give someone directions....but... They can't find communications with any one other than family?

Strange indeed

Seems like they cared enough to give her all the teenage nessasary electronics,moo

No known *medical* conditions suggests to me (wrt to her asking to go outside/asking for street names) she may have some kind of learning disability, making her perhaps more naive, as her mom said.

I hope she is found safe soon :(

My hopeful prediction is that this sweet girl will be found safe and that after she returns home, some generous donor will help her in a weight-loss program. She seems motivated to lose the weight but needs help doing it, which is reasonable since she is only 14 (and a young 14).

I do worry about where she is and if she is safe.

I'm rooting for you, J. Call your parents and come home!

No known *medical* conditions suggests to me (wrt to her asking to go outside/asking for street names) she may have some kind of learning disability, making her perhaps more naive, as her mom said.

I hope she is found safe soon :(

Yes, it seems odd that she asked for permission to go outside?

I too am surpised about the street name questions....it does sound like she wanted to give someone directions....but... They can't find communications with any one other than family?

Strange indeed

Seems like they cared enough to give her all the teenage nessasary electronics,moo

It is strange. Today, you don't need to give people directions if you provide a street address. It's easy to find directions with a variety of mapping programs. So either she didn't know that or the person who picked her up didn't know (older?). Or, she was trying to figure out herself how to get somewhere like a bus terminal?

JMO.

It is strange. Today, you don't need to give people directions if you provide a street address. It's easy to find directions with a variety of mapping programs. So either she didn't know that or the person who picked her up didn't know (older?). Or, she was trying to figure out herself how to get somewhere like a bus terminal?

JMO.

At 14, my kids couldn't give decent directions to our house. Until you start driving, it's all kind of a maze, IMHO. BUT, if my kids ever asked for directions to our house, I certainly wouldn't have just told them and then walked away. "Who's coming by?" would have been the next question.

I'm also puzzled by the vigil organizer's quote:

"Although around one half of the missing children in this country are boys and racial minorities, mainstream media mostly highlights cases of white missing children, especially young Caucasian girls," said Mayra Esquilin, executive director of the community organizing group HART, in a statement Thursday.

Why say that, as you organize a vigil for a young caucasian girl?

At 14, my kids couldn't give decent directions to our house. Until you start driving, it's all kind of a maze, IMHO. BUT, if my kids ever asked for directions to our house, I certainly wouldn't have just told them and then walked away. "Who's coming by?" would have been the next question.

"Although around one half of the missing children in this country are boys and racial minorities, mainstream media mostly highlights cases of white missing children, especially young Caucasian girls," said Mayra Esquilin, executive director of the community organizing group HART, in a statement Thursday.

I think J is Hispanic.

ETA: I just checked and O (her mother's last name) and B(missing child's last name) of Spanish origin. I think this is why the HART spokesperson stated that. Just looking at the thread activity here on WS, she's probably not wrong in her observation.....

Yes, it seems odd that she asked for permission to go outside?

Not at all…the area is not so great and her home is sandwiched between park ave and prospect….not good areas. her not knowing her surroundings and asking for directions and myself making an inference based on her picture makes me believe she is very sheltered and not active. Going to the magnet school means she not in Hartford public school…which would be a good thing, IMO. Hope the FBI can find some answers, I feel so bad from the comments above on how she was feeling before disappearing.

Not at all…the area is not so great and her home is sandwiched between park ave and prospect….not good areas. her not knowing her surroundings and asking for directions and myself making an inference based on her picture makes me believe she is very sheltered and not active. Going to the magnet school means she not in Hartford public school…which would be a good thing, IMO. Hope the FBI can find some answers, I feel so bad from the comments above on how she was feeling before disappearing.

I don't think she asked for directions when she was out - she asked for directions to her home in the days "leading up" to her disappearance. As if she wanted to tell someone who had never been there how to get there. I didn't think the street looked all that sketchy - from google street view most of the houses look really charming in that area, well-kept lawns, and on zulia I found they are expensive. There is that set of tentament looking apartments at the corner of Natalie and Rowe, but everything else looks nicely kept, IMHO. But I agree, it's unlikely she had been outdoors much in the neighborhood walking or biking around ever.

Oh I think you misunderstood me. Not aware of her surroundings, meaning she was free to run the neighborhood. Her home is in the "artsy" district for Hartford (loosely termed) and there is Trinity College in Parkville Section too. But.. one wrong turn and your in very troubled areas and they seem to be around every corner in that city. Park St. is not nice, period. Pope Park is about a mile from her and is very dangerous. JMO and experiences from being in Hartford. I live about 20 min outside the city. My Husband works in the city too.

I wish I could hug J and let her know that being a teenager is so hard but tell her it really can get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does she live with both parents or just dad? I feel so sad for this young girl. It's so hard being in school, with a weight problem and I hope being bullied is not an issue here.

It's hard when you're so young and don't do your own grocery shopping or cook your own meals, to learn the 'right' way to eat healthy and lose weight the healthy way. It makes me sad that J has such a poor self-image.

J-- things will get better. And as you get older you will have more power to grocery shop for yourself, prepare your own meals, drive yourself to the gym, etc. But meanwhile you must also learn to love yourself as you are. Life is no good if it is wasted hating ourselves. You are beautiful!

I wonder what was in the backpack Jillian had with her outside? Any other electronics, like an iPod touch?

she is hispanic. we, latinos, come in all shapes, colours and sizes.

lupus est homini *advertiser censored*, non *advertiser censored*, non quom qualis sit novit

I'm concerned for her mental state with not being happy. I hope she comes home soon! Where are you Jillian?

This young girl breaks my heart...

I hope she is found safe, sound, and soon....

:please:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back