CT - John Chakalos, 87, Windsor, 20 December 2013 *Grandson arrested in 2022, found dead in 2023*

bbm
Yep. We saw the story on the news tonight and my husband said, "how could he be sure he'd be found, he's floating on a life raft." Yes, right into one of the busiest shipping lanes around. Go to any of the maritime traffic websites and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure he knew that.

IMO He is experienced. He went out up to 100 miles from their destination. There is no way you can sail that way and not know the shipping lanes, maps, markers, etc. He looked too good for a guy who was drifting at sea for a week in open ocean and rationing his food and water. No sunburn, no dehydration?

IMO he wasn't in that raft more than a day and knew exactly where he would be seen and picked up by a passing freighter.

If he were out there that long like that he would not have walked off the CG boat but would have been in a stretcher.

MOO

With the presumed death of Linda Carman, does this mean the multi millionaire's inheritance portion ? to his daughter Linda, now goes to the son Nathan?

How many children did Linda's father have?
Clark Carman said he was shocked that his son was considered a suspect in the death of his grandfather.

"He was a suspect because he was the last one to see my father-in-law alive," he said. "The kid was so devoted to him. There were only two people in his life, his mother and his grandfather. There was no motive. There was nothing to gain with John dying, he had everything to lose. He's not the type of individual who's aggressive. He'd walk away from a situation rather than attack. Really it's not in his mental makeup."

[video=youtube;Rtl0oYJ9H7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtl0oYJ9H7I[/video]

It has the radio call between Nathan and the Coast Guard.

LE is back at Mr Chakalos home today, looking for evidence. They have also been looking at other properity owned by the family.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...9924caa2450_story.html?utm_term=.22172a250347

Hmm, this case seems to be heating up again. A second billboard was just posted in the Hartford Area.

My problem with all of LE information available and the news reporting is that John Chakalos is described as a family man who lived for his grandchildren and was known and loved by all for his Christmas display. I completely agree with their statements and I'm sure he was loved by MOST and incredibly dedicated to family members of his. What I can't reconcile is why, at least publicly, there is no acknowledgement of the possibility that maybe somewhere in his real estate development dealings that net him 42 Million dollars over a lifetime someone somewhere was left unhappy with something he may have done. I'm in construction, builders stiff contractors all the time. Land deals get blown to land trusts or zoning restrictions. I think the direction to take is to look very closely at the obvious connection his grandson has to the case but also to his business dealings that may have gone bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An update in the Hartford Courant. John Chakalos's 3 surving children (Nathan Carman's aunts) are asking in the NH probate case of his estate for a finding that his grandson murdered him.

Nathan now controls an account of $400,000 that was a joint account with his grandfather and mother. The estate is worth millions and Nathan's aunts do not want him to receive his mother's share.

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...an-new-hampshire-attorney-20171129-story.html

An insurance company has asked a federal judge to force a man to discuss what happened to a missing gun that matches the caliber of the gun used to kill his millionaire grandfather.

Nathan Carman, of Vernon, Vermont, is accused in a lawsuit of being responsible for the death of 87-year-old John Chakalos, a nursing home administrator and real estate developer found killed at his South Windsor home.

In a separate case, the insurance company is seeking to avoid payment on an $85,000 policy for a boat Carman was on when he and his mother went missing at sea in 2016. His mother, Linda Carman, is presumed dead. He was found on a life raft seven days after his boat sank off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, a Massachusetts island near Cape Cod.

Nathan Carman has denied any wrongdoing and has never been charged with either death.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/29/lawyers-seek-to-compel-boater-to-speak-about-missing-gun.html

I find the fact of them hiring a PI so soon very suspicious. Why do they have a distrust of the police?

Judge Orders Nathan Carman to Appear in Court in New Hampshire Slayer Case

"A New Hampshire judge has ordered Nathan Carman to appear in court to explain why he failed to provide answers to his aunts’ lawyers regarding when and where he purchased a gun that used the same caliber bullets as the ones that killed his grandfather in 2013.

Judge David D. King has scheduled a hearing for April 3. It will mark the first time Carman will appear in court to represent himself in a legal action filed by his aunts. He fired his attorneys last month.

Carman’s aunts — Valerie Santilli, Elaine Chakalos and Charlene Gallagher — have filed a so-called "slayer petition" in New Hampshire probate court seeking to have a judge declare that Nathan murdered his grandfather, John Chakalos, in December 2013 and then was responsible for the presumed death of his mother, Linda Carman, who was on a boat with her son when it sank during a fishing trip in September 2016....

The aunts are seeking to deny Nathan Carman access to several million dollars in trust fund money that he would inherit as his mother's only beneficiary of the Chakalos estate. Carman has denied killing his grandfather and has labeled his aunts as “greedy” and “driven by malice to make the vexatious, false, and insupportable allegations.”...

Among the documents that attorney Dan Small has sought from Carman are any records of his purchase of a Sig Sauer rifle that used .308 caliber bullets — the same caliber used in the shooting of Chakalos in his Windsor home.

Windsor police have identified Nathan Carman as a suspect in his grandfather’s murder and tried to obtain an arrest warrant, but it was rejected by a judge...."

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-nathan-carman-court-appearance-20180327-story.html

3009-fishingformurderupdate-pt2-v2-820x430.jpg

Link: https://media.crimewatchdaily.com/2017/09/21/3009-fishingformurderupdate-pt2-v2-820x430.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Federal Judge Orders Nathan Carman To Answer Questions About Missing Gun

"A federal judge in Rhode Island has ordered Nathan Carman to answer questions about what happened to a gun that has been missing since his grandfather’s 2013 shooting death.

The order comes in a case involving an insurance company’s efforts to avoid payments on the boat that Carman and his mother were in when it sank off Block Island in 2016. Nathan Carman was rescued at sea and Linda Carman is presumed dead. The insurance company has denied his claim for the boat, alleging that alterations he made caused it to sink.

It also comes on the eve of a scheduled appearance by Carman in a New Hampshire probate court where the same question about the gun is at issue. Carman is expected to argue that he does not have to answer questions about the gun. Police have said Carman was a suspect in his grandfather’s slaying but has not been charged. In the New Hampshire case, his aunts are trying to keep him from inheriting any of his grandfather’s millions by having a judge rule he killed his grandfather, John Chakalos.

Carman’s attorneys in the Rhode Island case stopped his deposition when attorneys for the insurance company tried asking about a specific gun — a Sig Sauer that uses .308 caliber bullets, the same caliber used to murder Chakalos — that Carman has claimed he lost...."

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...arman-federal-court-order-20180402-story.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachment.php

Carman tells court: No gun documents

CONCORD, N.H. — The Vermont man suspected in the murder of his wealthy grandfather and the disappearance of his mother told a New Hampshire judge today that he doesn’t have key documents lawyers for his aunts are seeking. The prime document sought is for a $3,000 assault rifle he allegedly bought in this state — the same caliber of gun they say was used to kill his grandfather.

At a hearing in the 6th Circuit Court Probate Division here, Nathan Carman, representing himself, said he was “incapable” of producing his cellphone records and credit card statements because they are in the name of his grandfather, real estate developer John Chakalos, who was shot to death in 2013.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2018/04/carman_tells_court_no_gun_documents

Attachments

• IMG_9491.jpg
    IMG_9491.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 87
Boater offers few answers in deaths of grandfather, mother

"...Nathan Carman, who fired his attorneys earlier this year and represented himself on Tuesday, came off as composed but a little awkward for most of the 90-minute hearing. Afterward, he walked stiffly past reporters without answering questions and drove off in a beaten-up Ford Focus....

On Tuesday, he mentioned his grandfather and mother and even referenced the fact he was suspected in their deaths. But he didn't implicate himself in either case and suggested other relatives could be to blame.

"My concern, it's not the money," Carman told the court. "It's not so much even my freedom. It is my reputation and seeing I have a future going forward ... I am very concerned about protecting that future."...

Attorney Dan Small, representing the sisters, said Carman's comments were just another example of him crafting fresh stories to avoid producing documents and answering questions.

"I came away sensing that he is making up a new round of stories," Small said. "It's like the carnival whack-a-mole game where the moles keep coming up and you have to pound them down. That's sort of what is going on here with Nathan inventing new stories."

Small called Carman's implication that other relatives were behind the deaths a "terrible and offensive statement" and said he found it interesting Carman would bring up the deaths and the possibility of being involved.

"I'm very clear in my mind that Nathan killed his grandfather and killed his mother," Small said. "There were several times today where he was having trouble navigating around that.".."

http://www.krqe.com/news/national/b...rs-in-deaths-of-grandfather-mother/1101819025
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Court papers detail finances of man accused by his aunts of murdering his grandfather

"CONCORD — Nathan Carman, accused by his aunts of murder, received $360,000 following the death of his millionaire grandfather, according to documents unsealed last week in a probate court in Concord.

The amount — disclosed by Carman himself in a document ordered unsealed — is a fraction of what Carman stands to inherit following the 2013 shooting death of his grandfather John Chalakos in Connecticut and the 2016 disappearance and assumed death of his mother, Linda Carman, from a boat off the coast of Rhode Island.

Carman was the last person seen with his grandfather and mother. And while authorities have not brought criminal charges against him, he is embroiled in a civil suit brought by Chakalos’ surviving heirs who accuse him of murdering his grandfather and mother in order to receive millions in inheritance.

Last week, Probate Court Judge David King ordered a host of documents unsealed in the high-profile case. He partially redacted another document before releasing it. And he held off on releasing an affidavit written by Connecticut police who are investigating the Chakalos murder.

King unsealed the records in response to a request last month by the New Hampshire Union Leader and the New England First Amendment Coalition....

The net value of the Chakalos estate was reported at $19.59 million according to a filing made two years ago at a probate court in Cheshire County...."

http://www.unionleader.com/courts/C...s-aunts-of-murdering-his-grandfather-05102018
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Records unsealed in inheritance suit against former Middletown man

"MIDDLETOWN — A New Hampshire judge ordered court records unsealed this month in a suit filed by Nathan Carman’s aunts to prevent him from collecting his mother’s share of his multimillionaire grandfather’s estate.

In March, the court ordered all files in the case closed to public view. A reporter from the Union Leader newspaper in Manchester, N.H., objected and filed a motion to unseal the documents March 29.

Nathan Carman, who now lives in Vermont, is under investigation by state and federal authorities in the disappearance of his mother Linda, 54, in September 2016 after a boating accident that left him adrift at sea. After eight days, he was rescued off the coast of Massachusetts by a passing freighter. His mother, who lived in Middletown, was never found. No charges have been filed in connection with her disappearance.

The Coast Guard said Linda Carman is presumed dead...."

https://www.middletownpress.com/mid...aled-in-inheritance-suit-against-12926754.php
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man whose relatives died mysteriously appears again in NH court
Nathan Carman representing himself in case

May 21, 2018

"CONCORD, N.H. —
A Vermont man accused by his relatives of killing his grandfather and possibly his mother appeared in court again Monday.

Nathan Carman represented himself during a hearing in a lawsuit filed by his aunts over a multimillion-dollar inheritance. He said accusations about his involvement in the death of his grandfather and disappearance of his mother are false.

"The bottom line is, I have no idea who killed my grandfather," Carman said. "I know that I did not."

His grandfather, John Chakalos, was killed in 2013 in Connecticut. No one has been charged in his death. Carman's mother is believed to be lost at sea....

Carman has not been charged with any crime.

Another court hearing is scheduled for September."

Bear destroys woman's car after getting stuck inside

Raw video: Nathan Carman appears again in NH courtroom
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back