CT CT - Ledyard, WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, May'74

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by CarlK90245, Jul 4, 2012.

1. q64ceo

q64ceo Active Member

Since I cannot edit the post above, here is a bit more info that I have found about JNHS:

Jacksonville Alabama is a small town, only 12k people today. In the 1920 census ~2400 folks lived there. The earliest birth records that the town holds are from 1919, so finding ILN from that may be impossible.

This small population explains why there is a dearth of info concerning Jacksonville Normal High School.

Searching Newspapers.com only gives me things from the 20s, the earliest being 1924. I cannot find any sort of graduation list from 1917 for JNHS let alone any other year.

JNHS is also distinct and separate from JHS, Jacksonville High School.

EDIT:

Anyone with an Ancestry account that can look up birth records or census information for Jacksonville, Calhoun County, Alabama?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020

2. Dylansmom08

Dylansmom08 Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  3. q64ceo

q64ceo Active Member

Jane Doe was murdered in 1970 and discovered in 1974. She doesnt go missing til 1974.

aThousandYearsWide and dotr like this.
  4. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

Based on the other photo of the similar ring, I'm convinced the "HS" in the middle is for high school, and the J & N are first initials of the actual name of the school.

dotr and annemc2 like this.
  5. BethAnn777

BethAnn777 Not Well-Known, just the way I like it

Looks right to me! What now? Wonder how we could use this info to help us in this case?

6. q64ceo

q64ceo Active Member

Yeah. The ring looks too simple to be a college graduation ring.

7. Alleykins

I don't think it was Jim Ned High School, though. This is what I found searching online for its history:

8. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

Age would appear to rule this MP out, but she’s been nagging at me. I read through this entire thread and researched this case in the past. I’ve got nothing to really contribute other than this potential match. Several of you are way more familiar with the UID than I am, so I’ll pass her over to you all! Great work on here!

NC - NC- Verna Aldine Clewis, 45, Wilmington, Jan'1970

Skigirl, aThousandYearsWide and dotr like this.
  9. MadMcGoo

A few more possible matches generated when I did a fairly broad search on NamUs. I didn’t see that any of them were previously mentioned on this thread and they fit one or more criteria. Just wanted to mention them while it was fresh on my mind.

https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/23628

upload_2020-8-19_3-10-53.jpeg

https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/10038
    upload_2020-8-19_3-4-45.jpeg

https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/25192
    upload_2020-8-19_3-9-39.jpeg

OR - OR - Ellen McCullum Drake, 22, Portland, 1 January 1967
    upload_2020-8-19_3-20-11.jpeg

Admittedly, I am still confused about the description/reconstruction of the victim. Wether it comes from witness recollections or professional interpretation/examination of the remains.

10. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

RSBM

I agree regarding the description of the victim... it's just so unclear. (Or possibly untruthful info if provided by the witness who ended up in WITSEC).

I can't remember if all or only partial remains were unearthed and collected. Also, IIRC it was stated somewhere in the thread the remains (full or partial) were cremated. However, with so many advances in obtaining and testing DNA, I truly feel this information should be checked again. @MadMcGoo Would you feel comfortable reaching out to Lori Bruski at UNTSC or the Connecticut Medical Examiner to see if we can obtain additional information?

*Talk about a "pet" or special case, I'm not sure why... but this case is it for me. And, so... I don't want to believe there is no DNA to be obtained to help identify her :(

11. MadMcGoo

I saw your dedication over the years to this case. It’s one of those that seems to have so much information and at the same time has absolutely nothing to go on. I’ve come across it a few times when researching other MP cases and I’m always hoping there’ll be a break in it.

I don’t mind reaching out to one of the agencies but I don’t want to make promises. I’m going back through all my research files and slowly submitting each and every potential match I’ve found, in the order I found them. So, I will do my best! Thank you for all your hard work!

12. fred&edna

You're the one who creates spreadsheets, follows tons of information on a multitude of unsolved cases, AND you reach out to ME's.... you're the one who does the really hard work!

I know you can't make promises but I don't want them to dismiss this UID nor brush off an inquiry for more info. Whatever YOU do I am most grateful! I will try to refrain from being discouraged whatever the result. Thank you! ;)

Skigirl, Suglo, Ajaygee11 and 2 others like this.
  13. Keane

Keane Well-Known Member

The fact that Denise Sheehy is a ruleout is puzzling, especially since she was reported to be wearing a gold boy's school ring when she disappeared.

Skigirl, MadMcGoo and dotr like this.
  14. Alleykins

Both Denise and this set of remains have dental records, making it possible to have compared them to each other. My guess is that's how she was ruled out.

MadMcGoo, fred&edna and dotr like this.
  15. Keane

Keane Well-Known Member

I hate coincidences. ;)

dotr and MadMcGoo like this.
  16. fred&edna

What gives me hope of a possible DNA profile for our UID is the involvement with UNTSC. I (want to) believe this medical center has the remains and there is still enough to provide testing.

With the advancements in obtaining DNA, I wonder how decisions are made regarding possible RE-testing of remains. I'm curious as to how it all works with so many UID's in the lab.

A 2018 news report on the lab:

Go Inside Texas' DNA Lab Where Scientists Work to Identify Human Remains

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    MadMcGoo and dotr like this.
  17. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

This is one of my "pet" cases, too. I just can't believe that this woman could disappear, there could be press about it, and still no family coming forward to claim her.

18. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

annemc2, fred&edna and MadMcGoo like this.
  19. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

Since missing persons' records were really spotty before the 1990s, and since I finally got a newspapers.com subscription, I've been casting around for missing people who disappeared in Maine in the 1960s that are not listed in NAMUS. Some people have been found, but here's an interesting possibility: Dorothy Mae Warrick who went missing in Nov. 1969. Apparently petite with strawberry colored hair and blue eyes. I think that matches with regard to description and timing, though I'm not positive.

20. supermochella

supermochella New Member

I have been looking into possible matches going off of JNHS- I think it may be "Honor Society" something that was established in 1917? The National Junior Honor Society was not founded until 1929, but does anyone have any family members in an Honor Society of that sorts? The other option could be Jim Ned High School, out of TX, they did have a class of 1917- maybe a grandparent? There were no direct ties to TX, however.