Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

I can help just a little:
All of her calls were designated as "station calls" not "person calls". I haven't been able to find precisely what that meant. I'm going to see if I can get more specifics from searching in a bit...

You used to call long distance using an operator (before 1+ dialing) and had a choice of person-to-person calls or station-to-station calls. Station calls meant you were calling a certain telephone and would be charged if you spoke to anyone who answered. Person calls meant you were only charged if you spoke to a particular person. Person calls were more expensive, but you weren't charged if the person you designated wasn't there.

My gut tells me that our Doe was younger than GC, But, I was looking at Diane Webb....
AZ AZ - Diane Marie Webb, 18, Phoenix, 1960 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/15075/25

She would be at the highest age range of our girl, but still possible. I think the sketch looks similar to her photos.

Particularly intriguing to me: 1. Diane was reportedly last seen at a dental appt, and our IUD has two fillings in one molar and, if I'm reading it correctly, a wisdom tooth that is angled? At the age Diane was, a wisdom tooth would seem a reasonable malady to propel one to the dentist when one, presumably, might not have money for just the regular dental visits. 2. Someone mentioned before that the other ring, the cheap one with the fake emerald, might indicate our gal's birth month. Diane's bday is April 20. When I googled it, most places say emerald is April 21 - May 20, but a few say April 20---.

Kind of a stretch, but, the wooden brooch is a "ceremonial" head of some kind. Diane was from AZ, so could it be Native American? Really wish we could see a pic.
Was GC in CA with his buddy after they were released from prison in WI? I know the timeline there is pretty wide, but they could have possibly met there. Or, Diane could have moved to NY/NJ area in the timeframe from 1961--1970.

A lot of factors that make it a stretch, but some interesting possible pieces.

Here's Diane's Websleuth's thread....
AZ AZ - Diane Marie Webb, 18, Phoenix, 1960 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The Nashville calls included one to a music agent. Would that agent have a specific genre, or genres. I was thinking that could be a clue, the UID could have wanted to pursue a specific style of music.

The number UID called from is (609) 888-1300 in Trenton, NJ. Today it is motorcycle dealership.

Looking at the calls, she obviously wasn't calling the Levittown numbers for business. They were on a Sunday.

I cannot believe LE of the day didn't check the location of the phone or who the calls were placed to.

A couple of possibilities.

1. Family in that area.

2. High school friends in the area, which would mean they were from the area.

3. Possibly a pot connection.

Thanks! I did not find any prison records unfortunately...just records from Ancestry that matched with her birthday and middle initial. The listing of her in 1970 stated "rem to Niantic" and was a city directory for Hartford. This means she was either removed to Niantic, or moved there. I sometimes use asterisks in last names to help broaden searches and add in the variations in spelling. Sometimes Ancestry is good at bring up similar possibilities, other times.. Not so much. I will see if I can dig up anything else later this evening.

I think it probably means 'Remand (detention) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.'

Not that it may mean much but thinking of the term "rem to Niantic"--> there's a woman's prison in Niantic. It's pretty big and well known in CT.

The number UID called from is (609) 888-1300 in Trenton, NJ. Today it is motorcycle dealership.

Looking at the calls, she obviously wasn't calling the Levittown numbers for business. They were on a Sunday.

I cannot believe LE of the day didn't check the location of the phone or who the calls were placed to.

A couple of possibilities.

1. Family in that area.

2. High school friends in the area, which would mean they were from the area.

3. Possibly a pot connection.

Just curious where you got #3 from. I don't recall mention of drug use, but maybe I missed something?

I thought about #s 1 and 2 as well. I think those calls were of the social variety.

Just curious where you got #3 from. I don't recall mention of drug use, but maybe I missed something?

I thought about #s 1 and 2 as well. I think those calls were of the social variety.

Pot contact?

Age, associations, and year.

Someone under 30 in 1970, and not in the Nixon White House, the thought would cross my mind. :) Her body was next to a convicted bank robber's. While she could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, I kind of doubt it.

Also, the calls could be family and/or friends, but the pattern could also be consistent with someone low and "jonesing." I would not rule that out. Not exactly a major player, if she's calling the 'burbs for a connection.

Pot contact?

Age, associations, and year.

Someone under 30 in 1970, and not in the Nixon White House, the thought would cross my mind. :) Her body was next to a convicted bank robber's. While she could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, I kind of doubt it.

Also, the calls could be family and/or friends, but the pattern could also be consistent with someone low and "jonesing." I would not rule that out. Not exactly a major player, if she's calling the 'burbs for a connection.

Just to add to own post, yes, it is a bit stereotypical and it is third on my list for that reason. I still would consider it.

One thing I noticed about the bill is that she made a call to 609-448-1700 which used to be the main number for McGraw Hill (the publisher). I found evidence from the 1960s through 1981 that the number was the company's main line. It is now the number for a real estate agency.

The phone records can be seen on the NamUs site. Just click "Images" on the left side and then "arrow over" to see the photos. I think the phone records are the last two images.

NamUs link: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8909

Great idea about her birth month possibly being May! I hadn't even thought of that.

Through my searches, I believe the following info to be correct (but I'm not positive... just my research!)

GLCarmichael was born Aug 3 1946 in Atlanta, GA (gleaned from his FBI "Wanted" poster)

His father was born in GA in 1914 and died 1977 (Butts County GA)
His mother's maiden name was "Barrett or Barret" and she was born abt 1920 South Boston. She worked as a nurse at a Boston hospital in the 60s.
GLCarmichael has 2 siblings.

At the Eva L. Butler Library in New London, CT there is:
A Scrapbook - Murder Most Foul
"An account of the finding of two buried bodies
of suspected bank robbers on a Shewville Road,
Old Mystic property. Richard DeFreitas was one
of the two men convicted in the double murder."
Author Carol W. Kimball
Eva L. Butler Library
publisher: New London Day

And I wish I could see it!

** I think DeFreitas and James E. Gardner lived in Kentucky (at some point, dunno how long). I live in Kentucky but I haven't done a great deal of searching for these two.

I just started reading through the thread so I apologize if I'm repeating something that's been addressed.

Considering the DOB of both his parents and the age of the victim, I think the ring is the last thing that would bring any answers. MOO.

Here's a preliminary timeline:

* 10/5/1970 -- Carmichael escaped during transport from Massachusetts to Hartford, CT.

* 11/17-12/17/1970 -- UID makes phone calls from location in New Jersey, works in New York?

* 12/22/1970 -- Carmichael & DeFreitas rob NJ bank of $60,000

* 12/28/1970 -- Carmichael shows up with UID in Ledyard

* 12/28-12/29/1970 -- Carmichael and UID stay with DeFietas and Rainello in Ledyard. UID expresses fear of getting caught/having her new identity questioned to Rainello.

* 12/30/1970 -- UID as Lorraine Stahl opens bank account

* 12/30/1970 -- UID and Carmichael (as Stahls) move into rental house in Noank.

* 12/29, 12/30, or 12/31 -- Donald Brant summoned from Rhode Island to discuss killing UID. Brandt and DeFrietas decide it's too risky to kill just the UID because of Carmichael's feelings for UID.

* 12/31/1970 -- Brandt kills UID, DeFreitas kills Carmichael

* 12/31/1970 -- James Gardner summoned to help bury Carmichael & UID

Either Jane Doe met Carmichael between October (when Carmichael escaped) and December (when she showed up with him in CT), or they knew each other somehow from before Carmichael was incarcerated. If they met in October, they seem to have gotten pretty serious romantically pretty fast.

Thanks for this post! It's been the most helpful to me, so far. ITA with your final thoughts!

If they knew each other BEFORE his escape, I would imagine she may have visited him in prison. Which prison was he in?

I think it's in one of the articles that someone posted before, she was charged with receiving stolen property, she hid about three thousand behind her apartment. I could not find much on her. Was thinking since she was charged with something the police would have been able to put things together if this was the same girl. I had wondered though if maybe she had been a friend of this woman, or in the same apartment building. Could not find the address or the court docket on her though.

This is something that comes up in a Google search, but to view the entire article it requires payment:

Naugatuck Daily News › 9 November 1968 › Page 5 ...
www.newspapers.com/newspage/4543056/
Thursday night by three men. Police said a fourth suspect, Miss Lucille Civitelli, 20, of 265 : Franklin Ave.

ETA: Naugatuck is in CT.

One thing I noticed about the bill is that she made a call to 609-448-1700 which used to be the main number for McGraw Hill (the publisher). I found evidence from the 1960s through 1981 that the number was the company's main line. It is now the number for a real estate agency.

Do they publish music?

Hi all! I am just now catching up on this thread... Interesting... And great work so far!! I did some initial research on Lucille, and don't believe she is the UID. Using her name with middle initial and birth year, I was able to find some marriage records and her listing at the "farm " in Niantic in 1970( as listed in that article). The spelling I found her under had an "o" at the end of the last name instead of "I". Hope this helps, I sort of jumped into this one without making any notes, charts, or bookmarks!!!

Moo

I wouldn't give up as her being a possibility just yet. The UID was murdered Dec. 31, 1970. Unless, of course, the marriage occurred AFTER that date. MOO

I wouldn't give up as her being a possibility just yet. The UID was murdered Dec. 31, 1970. Unless, of course, the marriage occurred AFTER that date. MOO

I thought the OP was saying the marriage records were from after 1970. I would like to know how long LC was at the "state farm" in Niantic. Was she there for all of 1970? Still need to find that out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back