Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

I agree that its likely a signet ring. They would often have a person's initials on the face. One of Helen's Grandmothers maiden name was "Scotney" for what thats worth . It fits with my belief that the letters on top of the ring are "BSN", since the last name was often placed in the middle on monograms. . I believe the letters on the inside of the band are: JLN or FLN and definitely not "I" LN. There is some info about a Swedish Jewelers Hallmark being "JLN"

Right. My post the other night was a late-night drive-by. I strongly think those are the person’s initials and the date is probably a graduation date or some other significant year to the person.

Here is a similar one from 1928.
c051fdc0ea55835c709c5421ac97b5b8.jpg

And, here is a "class ring" from 1926...

http://hoboken.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/307841DA-55AD-444A-A6F1-614422435474

The initials of the student are usually "italic", and the hallmark is "stamped".

Also, I noticed when google image searching art deco class rings, most medical, nursing and/or religious type schools "typically" had a crest or insignia visible... even way back when.

I do hope our UID will be identified... eventually.

Here's my correspondence with the ME on the subject:

Me:Quick question: Helen had given birth maybe 7 months before she was killed. Would the coroner back then have been able to determine that from Jane Doe's body? (it wasn't mentioned).

Her:
Hi Joe,
Unfortunately her body was discovered in 1974 so she was a complete skeleton by then. I will keep you posted.

Sorry, I think what I wrote was ambiguous. They could not have known when she had given birth, but a skilled examiner would have been able to tell that she had given birth. I would be pretty shocked if a medical examiner would say "no" since anyone with a biology background knows that basic anatomical fact. Here's a link ("morphological" means "shape"): https://books.google.com/books?id=R...q=changes to skeleton with childbirth&f=false

I recently spoke to the appropriate police agency in Connecticut about NLCJD. I was very surprised that this is the first they had even heard about Helen Claire Frost. I notified RCMP about this a long time ago and it seems they made no effort at all to work with the appropriate agency here in Connecticut.

Keep in mind that this is a closed case here in Connecticut with Jane Doe's murderers convicted long ago. It's understandably a lower priority for them to investigate this case. However Helen Claire Frost is very much an active missing persons case for the RCMP and it's still receiving a good amount of publicity 47 years later.
What am I missing? Whether or not you think I'm correct in Identifying New London County Jane Doe as Helen Claire Frost, you have to agree that it's at least worth investigating.

I recently spoke to the appropriate police agency in Connecticut about NLCJD. I was very surprised that this is the first they had even heard about Helen Claire Frost. I notified RCMP about this a long time ago and it seems they made no effort at all to work with the appropriate agency here in Connecticut.

Keep in mind that this is a closed case here in Connecticut with Jane Doe's murderers convicted long ago. It's understandably a lower priority for them to investigate this case. However Helen Claire Frost is very much an active missing persons case for the RCMP and it's still receiving a good amount of publicity 47 years later.
What am I missing? Whether or not you think I'm correct in Identifying New London County Jane Doe as Helen Claire Frost, you have to agree that it's at least worth investigating.

Just my opinion but I think one of the biggest obstacles (besides the murderers being convicted) is the fact there's no DNA sample for this unidentified young woman. If there was DNA it would be easier (not as much historical leg work involved on the part of detectives) to rule out or possibly identify her as HCF. It's really sad. I've always wondered if her remains were cremated. If buried they could possibly try again for an additional DNA sample. But, that's likely seen as time consuming and also expensive.

Last edited:
They have been successful in extracting DNA from cremated remains.
I believe it's worth the attempt, because you never know until you try.

I suspect that there is potential DNA for Jane Doe. Connecticut just hadnt had any justification to look for it on a closed case. The body would need to be exhumed or they could simply check the hair roller set or clothing that she was found with for DNA.

Just my opinion but I think one of the biggest obstacles (besides the murderers being convicted) is the fact there's no DNA sample for this unidentified young woman. If there was DNA it would be easier (not as much historical leg work involved on the part of detectives) to rule out or possibly identify her as HCF. It's really sad. I've always wondered if her remains were cremated. If buried they could possibly try again for an additional DNA sample. But, that's likely seen as time consuming and also expensive.

They had some curlers and other items that had belonged to her. I have a small sliver of hope that they have a hair sample. They also could have a dental chart. But you're right; it will be an extreme challenge to get a good ID unless they have some way to make a physical or genetic match.

Nov 17 2018 rbbm.
CRIME HUNTER: Bitter blood and enduring mystery
Gustavous Lee Carmichael was a 25-year-old serial bank robber from Atlanta, Georgia who was reasonably successful at his chosen “career.”

ch81-e1542324698733.jpg

The mystery of the redhead’s identity has endured for nearly 50 years. (FBI)

"On Oct. 25, 1970, Carmichael and another jailbird were being transported from a Massachusetts state prison to federal court in Hartford when they escaped.

The crook had been on the hook for a New Jersey bank job in 1970 that pulled in a cool $60,000.

Now, he was on the lam with money to burn.

Along the way, he hooked up with the mystery redhead. Maybe she was from New York, more likely the south. She never said."

"Forty-four years later, cops still don’t know who the redhead is.

She was wrapped in a blanket, dressed in the clothes she died in: a tan leather “wet look” vest; a gold sweater, brown tweed skirt, knee-high brown granny boots and a yellow raincoat."
"She was anywhere from 18 to 30 years old, about 5-foot-2 and had been spotted around town in a 1964 green Oldsmobile with Maine or Massachusetts plates.

But there was one tantalizing piece of evidence for cops to go on: A New Jersey Bell phone bill that listed calls to Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and New York."
Investigators believe she was from the south, maybe Tennessee, West Virginia or the Carolinas".

Ok Here's the deal with the ring. Take the higher quality picture of the JHNS ring on Namus, and blow it up big. Blown up, it eventually becomes very obvious that the letters on the ring are not JHNS or JNHS. We've all maybe looked at it and assumed that there was an "H" in there somewhere but I never actually found one.

Easy to see under magnification, there is a shadow that creates an illusion of a break between the letters. Believe it or not the letters are actually........."BNS". The "J" is just the left side of the fancy "B". I havent found the exact font (please help if you can) but there are several Olde English/Gothic Fonts that have a vertical line going through the "S". The "S: ends up looking similar to a $ sign B$N are the letters. Helen's family moved from England to Canada when she was only 4 years old That means that the ring would be from England. What type of higher learning could a woman achieve in 1917? I say the ring is from the Bradford School of Nursing in West Yorkshire England. Established 1832. Thoughts?
attachment.php
Agree that it could say BSN -- so it could be a monogram signet ring originally owned by someone whose initials were B.N.S.

They do look similar...Wondering if the uid female also has slight gap between her front teeth? speculation, imo.
B.C. woman's search for birth mother turns up missing person's case | CBC News

B.C. woman's search for birth mother turns up missing person's case | CBC News

Anyone listened to Crimetown?

I've posted for many years about these murders in relation to organized crime. In the podcast a few names are mentioned that relate to this case. One is Ouimette, another is Bevilacqua. As always, I know this info doesn't identify Jane Doe but I keep hoping someone involved is still alive who just might remember her.

Bevilacqua link:

CHAPTER TWELVE

Has this missing woman been suggested yet?
The car in which she was last seen, is similar in description to the one mentioned in this uid case.rbbm.
Unidentified Person Case
"Had been known to have been driving around in a 1964 Green Oldsmobile with either MA or ME plates Vehicle was found dumped in Hartford with a ME inspection sticker"

Barbara Jean Paciotti – The Charley Project
Barbara Jean Paciotti
  • barbara_jean_paciotti_1.jpg
"Paciotti's roommate saw her get into a green 1964 Oldsmobile driven by Jeffrey Dolinich, whom she was dating at the time. The vehicle belonged to Dolinich's father. Paciotti has never been heard from again."

Thank you for your interest in the Barbara Paciotti case. I'm still a local resident of the town where
this happened in June of 1969. It is my understanding that the car in question, a green 1964 Oldsmobile was accounted for following the disappearance of Ms. Paciotti. The lone suspect in
the case was still in possession of the vehicle when he was questioned by police the following day.
Some of Barbara's belongings, including her purse were found in the car. The suspect was never
arrested or charged. He died several years ago. Myself and another individual are seeking resources
to assist in the search of an area we feel was overlooked in the initial and subsequent searches and
investigations. June of this year marks the 50th anniversary of this mystery.

Jim Ned High School is the only school so far I can find with the initials JNHS. It's in Texas. If someone has access to those yearbooks for 1917, now would be a good time to see if someone with the initials ILN exists.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back