CT - Man kills masked intruder, learns it’s his son, New Fairfield

It seems like we'll never know what this young man was doing in his aunt's yard, trying to break in to her house in the wee hours dressed in black with a ski mask on and wielding a knife.

It seems possible that this dad saved his sister's life.

When I first saw this on the internet, I thought OH NO, some horrible, horrible mistaken perception. I'm not sure it was a mistaken perception at all - it seems that the boy was actually attempting to break in and harm, maybe even kill, his aunt.

Well, I guess I'll have to go back and read every article above, because I read them all and the words that the father didn't know until LE pulled off the mask wasn't there when I read them. And I just read the articles a few minutes ago. But maybe it's my eyesight.

When police arrived, the teen was lying in the driveway of the woman’s home with gunshot wounds and a knife in his hand. His father, in T-shirt and shorts, was sitting on the grass. The teen was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

An officer pulled back the ski mask. It was unclear if Jeffrey Giuliano already knew it was his son.
It was also unclear if the teen was trying to burglarize the house or if it was some type of prank gone wrong.

From original link.

Who knows how many bullets were fired? "Riddled with bullets" sounds very gory, that's why the press uses that term. If he did in fact unload his weapon into the boy, though, I wouldn't be surprised. LEOs, who have much more firearms training than this guy, regularily fire many dozens of rounds into suspects (and sometimes innocent people). My buddy is an NYPD officer, when he was new he was told by the older cops "anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting 10 times".

Nine bullets were fired according to neighbors that heard them and commented on one of the news sites. Some guns fire very easily - if you're not proficient with the rapid fire type of gun, you don't have a sense of when to lift your finger.

I don't blame him - a man with a ski mask lunging toward him with a knife - he probably had a rush of adrenalin, was in panic mode and just kept shooting.

Tyler was trying to break into his aunt's home at 1 a.m. with a knife, masked & dressed in black. He wasn't there for a teaparty.

This will haunt his dad & aunt forever but they are NOT at fault. I hope they will forgive themselves and find a way to heal.

Perhaps the teen didn't recognize his father.

That's what I was thinking, I know more then once I've made my sister scream when she didn't recognize me in the dark. But I still don't understand why the boy was wearing a mask in his own home.

No worries....the details of this gut-wrenching case keeps coming in. It must be a nightmare for the family.

Well, I guess I'll have to go back and read every article above, because I read them all and the words that the father didn't know until LE pulled off the mask wasn't there when I read them. And I just read the articles a few minutes ago. But maybe it's my eyesight.

Bio-mom says she is struggling with addiction. She also has an extensive criminal history according to this article.

"“This is the second child I lost,” wailed Binnette, who in 1993 fell asleep behind the wheel of a car after smoking crack cocaine and slammed into a utility pole — killing her 21-month-old daughter, Mariah."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/just_nothing_wrong_at_all_BBs9gJ1NozHUoDN0y1YJ6K

That's what I was thinking, I know more then once I've made my sister scream when she didn't recognize me in the dark. But I still don't understand why the boy was wearing a mask in his own home.

He wasn't in his home, he was outside his home at 1 am in the morning.

Very troubling and just devastating. Bath salts?

Very troubling and just devastating. Bath salts?

I'm thinking more on the lines of a sexual motive. Wasn't the aunt home alone? He had his face covered so that he would not be recognized and was armed with a knife. He was ready for more than peeping. And that makes it too planned for it to be a reaction to bath salts.

]I bet dad is questioning his decision to shoot[/B].
This kid was up to something very bad and I bet his family had no idea what it was.

bbm, I see his decision as being that of life or death, masked man lunges at you with (shiny object) after receiving phone call that an intruder is trying to break in next door. I would have done the same thing. The boy was up to no good, who is to say the father was not the target.

bbm, I see his decision as being that of life or death, masked man lunges at you with (shiny object) after receiving phone call that an intruder is trying to break in next door. I would have done the same thing. The boy was up to no good, who is to say the father was not the target.

Yes, I agree with you. I just meant Dad will have tremendous guilt from this and probably rethink shooting ever day of his life.
Killing an intruder would be hard to cope with but killing your adopted child would be something one might never get over.
And I just can't fathom what it would be like to realize the boogie man is your child. A ski mask and knife at one am. is creepy. This kid was dangerous. He had the kind of background that could make one a sociopath. Very scary.

This boy was adopted as a pre-teen from what sounds like a less than ideal family background. Bio-mom has a criminal history and says she is struggling with addiction. I wonder what bio-dad is doing? Perhaps this teen wasn't as happy as everyone appears to have thought.

Sad story.... I'm thinking this kid had issues. It would be a good idea for LE to thoroughly inspect everyones' phones, computers, etc. I'll reserve judgement on the adoptive dad until more is known --- we don't know what kind of relationship they had.
There are no winners here. Sometime kids who are adopted even as young as 5 can have multiple problems; or so I've read.

I don't know. Something is off about this story. Either dad lied about the "masked intruder" lunging at him in a threatening manner so he could get away with shooting someone who scared him or kid was up to something horrible and the dad purposefully stopped him or...something else.

Wouldn't this kid, if playing around or even trying to rob his own aunt have said, "Dad, it's me! I'm just fooling around!" Once he saw his father approach with a gun?

This is what I was thinking. Something just doesn't seem right here. :waitasec:

Bio-mom says she is struggling with addiction. She also has an extensive criminal history according to this article.

"“This is the second child I lost,” wailed Binnette, who in 1993 fell asleep behind the wheel of a car after smoking crack cocaine and slammed into a utility pole — killing her 21-month-old daughter, Mariah."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/just_nothing_wrong_at_all_BBs9gJ1NozHUoDN0y1YJ6K

She 'lost' her first child? Sorry to be blunt but sounds like she had everything to do with that baby's death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washingtonsupersleuth
Back