GUILTY CT - Peter Manfredonia, 23, suspect in two murders with a samurai sword, Willington, May 2020 *ARREST*

I’m a retired psychiatric nurse and during the 25 yrs that I worked for the State if CT (at a state run psych facility), we had many patients who were considered perfectly normal and were highly intelligent until their early 20s, at which time they experienced a major breakdown and were then diagnosed as schizophrenic.

The breakdowns came in many different forms. Stressful events, physical and or emotional conditions, changes in environment can trigger the break. Onset of symptoms differ among patients. They may become suicidal, homicidal, paranoid; may have delusions of all kinds (including of grandeur), hallucinations, impaired social functioning, insomnia, and more.

PM seems to be highly intelligent, fits the age of onset, and may have had stressors in his life which may have caused a breakdown and possibly the onset of schizophrenia...
or something similar?
MOO
Thank you for your insightful information.

Saw where the area he was last seen, the railroad tracks, was between the back of Walmart and near a University. Wonder if he
knew or had communicated with someone from
that university.
On another website, someone posted that PM was employed at a place (a bar?) in CT that has an office in Allentown, PA and it was suggested that PM may know someone employed there.

MOO

Pa troopers know their heavily wooded area. They are watchful and advise their citizens well. It wasn't that long ago that they succeeded in finding Eric Frein who had a hideout in the woods. Troopers did not hesitate to shut down a massive area in their determined manhunt.

Or maybe broke into an empty vacation home so no need to be on the run at moment?

jmo
My daughter-in-law’s parents have a beautiful, huge, isolated summer/holiday/weekend home 30 min from Allentown,PA! Their main residence is in NYC and they’re not at the PA home now, but are scheduled to be this coming weekend. I wonder if their plans have changed because of this??!!
MOO

I’m a retired psychiatric nurse and during the 25 yrs that I worked for the State if CT (at a state run psych facility), we had many patients who were considered perfectly normal and were highly intelligent until their early 20s, at which time they experienced a major breakdown and were then diagnosed as schizophrenic.

The breakdowns came in many different forms. Stressful events, physical and or emotional conditions, changes in environment can trigger the break. Onset of symptoms differ among patients. They may become suicidal, homicidal, paranoid; may have delusions of all kinds (including of grandeur), hallucinations, impaired social functioning, insomnia, and more.

PM seems to be highly intelligent, fits the age of onset, and may have had stressors in his life which may have caused a breakdown and possibly the onset of schizophrenia...
or something similar?
MOO

So his father was charged last month with sexual assault last month. Which could have been a huge trigger for him especially if it was from a family he knew. The news says he had been dealing with some mental health issues last year as well.

Father of UConn student wanted in 2 homicides arrested on sexual assault charges in April

On another website, someone posted that PM was employed at a place (a bar?) in CT that has an office in Allentown, PA and it was suggested that PM may know someone employed there.

MOO
yes, we discussed that this am.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sudden downward slide of this young man.
In reading online medical articles about schizophrenia several sites mention that using
recreational drugs can bring on symptoms especially if someone was predisposed to it.
Cocaine, LSD and even cannibis is mentioned.
Some studies say long term cannibis use starting in teens can also change the brain enough to cause problems
I've seen other mention lately that LSD has made a comeback on college campuses.
those of us who are older remember the nightmare scenarios of those in the 1960's and 70's who used LSD.
So I wonder if his family or close friends would know if he was using these type drugs while in college.

Here's some clips of info taken from news articles that I found to be worthy of note.

Pennsylvania Police Release Info on Sighting of UConn Student Suspected in 2 Killings, Abduction

The photo Pennsylvania State Police released from Sunday afternoon shows Manfredonia along the train tracks, wearing dark shorts and a white T-shirt and carrying a duffel bag. They are issuing a warning in the area that he might attempt to solicit ride sharing services, possibly through "third party means" to flee the area.

Family of Ted DeMers Speaks Out About What Happened the Day He Was Killed

Neighbors told DeMers' family that the suspect was wielding a weapon at him and an 86-year-old neighbor came out of his home to stop the attack. The neighbor was wounded in the head and hands and is still in the hospital, according to Jones. Jones said the suspect got on his motorcycle and drove off after another neighbor, who knew Manfredonia, yelled at him to stop.

This neighbor, their family, they were thinking of getting a restraining order against this person two weeks ago. This was intentional. This was not just some random crazy person who flew off the handle. He had a plan," Jones said.

Family: College student’s alleged crime spree ‘came out of nowhere’

In an interview Tuesday with Hearst Connecticut Media, attorney Michael Dolan said Peter Manfredonia's parents had been in regular contact with him until the series of events began on Friday. Dolan did not know when the last time Manfredonia spoke to his parents, but said they had a heightened concern about his history of mental health issues when they heard about the alleged crime spree. "He certainly did have mental health issues, but he had no history of violence," Dolan said. "This really came out of nowhere."

UConn senior suspected in two homicides vanished after taking Uber to Pa. Walmart, police say; homicide victim’s wife describes grisly scene

DeMers' wife, Cynthia DeMers, said Tuesday that the place down the road from her house where her husband was attacked "looked like a war zone, and I've never been in the military."

"He was a mess," she said of her husband. "He got really brutally attacked."

One of her husband's arms was severed, DeMers said. At first, she did not know it was her husband's, because the limb was lying next to the other man, she said. That 80-something man, who was on the ground about ten feet from her husband, also was badly cut, especially on his hands, and could only ask, "What happened?" she said. He had come out to help Ted DeMers when he heard a ruckus outside, Cynthia DeMers said.

UConn Student Went on Rampage, Killing 2 Before Fleeing, Police Say

Less than 10 minutes later, a neighbor started honking and flashing his car's lights outside of the house. The neighbor told Mr. DeMers's wife, Cynthia DeMers, to bring ice because her husband was in "rough shape," Christopher DeMers recalled.

When Ms. DeMers and the neighbor arrived at the scene, it was grisly: Ted DeMers had injuries to his head, leg and arm and was bleeding profusely, Christopher DeMers said.

"My mom tried to tourniquet his arm and stopped the bleeding on his leg," he said. "She watched him die."

Ms. DeMers said state police detectives told her they believed Mr. Manfredonia had been on their street because he had been stalking a neighbor's daughter.

GOD BLESS THIS POOR WOMAN.
I really hope they find this guy before he takes the coward's way out.

So his father was charged last month with sexual assault last month. Which could have been a huge trigger for him especially if it was from a family he knew. The news says he had been dealing with some mental health issues last year as well.

Father of UConn student wanted in 2 homicides arrested on sexual assault charges in April
Yes, some sites say even a Divorce in a family can trigger it, and he was appx. 15 when his parents split.
I've seen young boys react terribly when their parents split up. It's not easy for many of them and they act out.

I keep saying what?!?!?! But, I can give a tiny bit of insight into the questions about why he would go off meds, regarding schizophrenia. I worked in mental health for 16 years. He is at the age where people might have been seeing signs for a couple of years, but its very likely that he was never stabilized on meds, yet. It takes a really long time to get the correct dosage and medication or combo of medications. It is really far from a one size fits all. And to be completely honest, my guys who had the most severe symptoms were very rarely symptom free. They were just stabilized enough to stay out of the hospital and function, usually with guidance and assistance. They never really got to a pre-morbid functioning level.

Just a couple of side notes about Schizophrenia. Someone mentioned i generally doesn't come with violence, which is true. The best way i can describe it is like if your dream state crossed into your reality. Can you imagine? Not knowing if something was real or not? It is absolutely torturous, for those who have to deal with it. Also, it is completely separate from intelligence. So many had graduated from college, made amazing grades, functioned like everyone else, until they didnt. Its one of the worst things I can ever imagine happening to a person, in that it creeps in, when everything seems to be going fine.

This is great insight.

I work with homeless veterans as a volunteer, one we're working with right now
Here's some clips of info taken from news articles that I found to be worthy of note.

Pennsylvania Police Release Info on Sighting of UConn Student Suspected in 2 Killings, Abduction

The photo Pennsylvania State Police released from Sunday afternoon shows Manfredonia along the train tracks, wearing dark shorts and a white T-shirt and carrying a duffel bag. They are issuing a warning in the area that he might attempt to solicit ride sharing services, possibly through "third party means" to flee the area.

Family of Ted DeMers Speaks Out About What Happened the Day He Was Killed

Neighbors told DeMers' family that the suspect was wielding a weapon at him and an 86-year-old neighbor came out of his home to stop the attack. The neighbor was wounded in the head and hands and is still in the hospital, according to Jones. Jones said the suspect got on his motorcycle and drove off after another neighbor, who knew Manfredonia, yelled at him to stop.

This neighbor, their family, they were thinking of getting a restraining order against this person two weeks ago. This was intentional. This was not just some random crazy person who flew off the handle. He had a plan," Jones said.

Family: College student’s alleged crime spree ‘came out of nowhere’

In an interview Tuesday with Hearst Connecticut Media, attorney Michael Dolan said Peter Manfredonia's parents had been in regular contact with him until the series of events began on Friday. Dolan did not know when the last time Manfredonia spoke to his parents, but said they had a heightened concern about his history of mental health issues when they heard about the alleged crime spree. "He certainly did have mental health issues, but he had no history of violence," Dolan said. "This really came out of nowhere."

UConn senior suspected in two homicides vanished after taking Uber to Pa. Walmart, police say; homicide victim’s wife describes grisly scene

DeMers' wife, Cynthia DeMers, said Tuesday that the place down the road from her house where her husband was attacked "looked like a war zone, and I've never been in the military."

"He was a mess," she said of her husband. "He got really brutally attacked."

One of her husband's arms was severed, DeMers said. At first, she did not know it was her husband's, because the limb was lying next to the other man, she said. That 80-something man, who was on the ground about ten feet from her husband, also was badly cut, especially on his hands, and could only ask, "What happened?" she said. He had come out to help Ted DeMers when he heard a ruckus outside, Cynthia DeMers said.

UConn Student Went on Rampage, Killing 2 Before Fleeing, Police Say

Less than 10 minutes later, a neighbor started honking and flashing his car's lights outside of the house. The neighbor told Mr. DeMers's wife, Cynthia DeMers, to bring ice because her husband was in "rough shape," Christopher DeMers recalled.

When Ms. DeMers and the neighbor arrived at the scene, it was grisly: Ted DeMers had injuries to his head, leg and arm and was bleeding profusely, Christopher DeMers said.

"My mom tried to tourniquet his arm and stopped the bleeding on his leg," he said. "She watched him die."

Ms. DeMers said state police detectives told her they believed Mr. Manfredonia had been on their street because he had been stalking a neighbor's daughter.

GOD BLESS THIS POOR WOMAN.
I really hope they find this guy before he takes the coward's way out.

He could use prepaid debit cards for rides.

I think as he gets more desperate, he'll get more dangerous. People in that region need to be vigilant.

Following...

He's a pretty smart guy. I know we're supposed to post articles for reference, but it was said that he charged his phone at the TA fuel station so I think he has/had his phone with him. I'd imagine that's how he tried to call for an Uber. Do you think it's possible that he could be heading for the Appalachian Trail? He can get to it from that area. I'm sure he could get lost on there for a while if people who are hiking the trail aren't keeping up with their social media or phones.

Also this info makes me wonder if PM grew up
in a violent household w/ domestic violence and this trauma affected him.
So often we see perps here who had a violent
family life and childhood.
MOO

@PSPTroopNPIO

Stolen Vehicle, Black Hyundai Santa Fe bearing Pennsylvania registration KYW-1650.
NOT CONFIRMED that Peter Manfredonia stole the vehicle, but it was taken from the area where he was last seen.
Anyone with information should call 911 immediately and DO NOT APPROACH!
EY-BsnSX0AECAEq

Trooper Petroski

@PSPTroopNPIO

·
1m
UPDATE

Stolen Vehicle, Black Hyundai Santa Fe bearing Pennsylvania registration KYW-1650. NOT CONFIRMED that Peter Manfredonia stole the vehicle, but it was taken from the area where he was last seen. Anyone with information should call 911 immediately and DO NOT APPROACH!

Trooper Petroski on Twitter

False and True. No relation to the former principal. True, his mother is still a teacher at NHS (using new married surname).
thanks for the correction.
What can you tell us about his childhood, any
other emotional trauma beside the divorce?
What was he like in middle school and HS?
Was he a bully? Was he well liked?
Was he spoiled by an affluent family?
Was there extended family around?
Just curious if you knew him back then.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members