CT - Ted Hakey for shooting at mosque, Meriden, 2015

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by bluesneakers, Dec 18, 2015.

1. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Active Member

Connecticut man charged with hate crime for shooting at mosque

Former Marine Charged with Shooting at Connecticut Mosque

2. Loading...

3. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

I hope he does some serious time for this.

4. bluesneakers

I hope so too. This could have gone much worse.

He's the trifecta of being a bad neighbor: xenophobia, alcohol, guns.

5. pappa rob

pappa rob New Member

He's a real triple threat alright!

6. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Sort of like Sammy Davis Jr -- only different.

7. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Sadly, that describes the trifecta of being an awesome neighbor for far too many people!

8. EllieBee

EllieBee Former Member

Took the words right outta my mouth. In my neck of the woods, this guy would be considered a 'Murrican Hero. :(

9. bwt42

bwt42 New Member

Assuming you believe prison time is to rehabilitate, what do you think an appropriate sentence would be. If my assumption is wrong, what should the sentence and the purpose of it be?

10. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Good questions. I hope I have answered them as well as I can below.

First, I think that there are multiple reasons to imprison someone. Yes, rehabilitation is probably the main one, but punishment is part of rehab -- in that it can teach someone that there are consequences to actions. Part of the reason to imprison is to show others that a type of action is inappropriate/illegal.

As for how long the sentence should be -- in all honesty, I can't even guess. When I mean 'serious time', I mean 'enough time for the person incarcerated to consider his or her actions. This was not a simple vandalism case -- it was closer to (but not as bad as) a drunk driving or attempted murder case, for the legal reason that lethal force was used. This person could have killed someone.

Moreover, and I suspect that this will be less popular with some, I do think that the hatred against a group (in this case, a religion) should be seen as an aggravating factor. To fail to punish those who believe it is legitimate to assault people based on characteristics that are protected by the first amendment is more than an affront to the constitution.

So, as for how long this fellow should spend in prison -- it should be long enough for him to recognize that what he did was nothing less than an assault on the country he once swore to protect. I do not know enough about sentencing, but all things considered, it should be at least one year, and less than three. This is not just a case of someone firing his gun irresponsibly.

11. bwt42

bwt42 New Member

Agree with everything you said. From your original statement I thought you were thinking 25 to life. My mistake.

12. bluesneakers

Man accused of firing shots at Meriden mosque faces a judge

13. bluesneakers

Former U.S. Marine charged in South Meriden mosque shooting remains in custody following court hearing

14. pappa rob

pappa rob New Member

It sounds like they need to lock him up and throw away the key..

15. bluesneakers

You're right - he's dangerous and needs to be kept away from people.

Maybe he can sell his home to pay his fine since he'll never be going back there.

16. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

People often ask why Muslims aren't doing anything about Muslim terrorists, or why the friends and neighbors of 'suspicious' Muslims aren't turning them in. (Neither question is fair, as they are.)

Here's a guy who has been posting violent, hateful stuff for ages -- and doing it on Facebook.

Why didn't anyone turn this guy in to the authorities? He's clearly been a terrorist waiting to emerge for quite some time.

17. bluesneakers

The people who read what he wrote probably feel the same way and that's why no one said or did anything.

What a chicken****. I hope he goes to jail for a long time.

JMO

18. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Yeah, I have to say that I now think that he's earned more than 3 years in prison. Given his track record of making terrorist statements, this was definitely more of a hate crime than 'mere' drunken vandalism. Makes me sadder still to know that he was a vet. It will make some wonder whether all of the thousands of killings of civilian Muslims in combat theaters overseas has left a residue of indifference or hatred on those who have gone there to serve. Just so sad all around. I really hope that this fellow gets some sort of mental health care in prison, but it seems that such care is a very low priority for most people.

19. bluesneakers

Connecticut mosque shooter Ted Hakey Jr.’s bail hearing postponed

20. bluesneakers

He's been released after his mom posted 400k worth of real estate as his bail.

Accused Mosque Shooter Appears In Court

The case has been transferred to Federal Court and jury selection begins early next month which is a lot sooner than I expected.

21. bluesneakers

Muslims Turn Other Cheek To Bad-Actor Neighbor