CT CT - WM DEVIN HOWELL, New Britain, 2003 and possibly earlier

bugaboo

Reaction score
This plaza is very busy and hugely popular with college students nearby. That being said, no one really goes around to the back. I'll be interested to see who it could be. This is right near two major highways, so they could be from anywhere.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctnebbones0825.artaug25,0,545186.story

Bones Likely Of Two Women

Remains Behind Plaza Were There For Years
By ARIELLE LEVIN BECKER | Courant Staff Writer August 25, 2007 NEW BRITAIN - Police believe the bones found behind a Hartford Road shopping plaza on Monday came from two different women and had been there for four to 10 years.

Investigators believe one of the women was in her early 20s, but could have been as young as 18, New Britain police Capt. Philip J. Kennedy said. The other woman is believed to have been between 30 and 40 years old, he said.

Investigators returned to the site Friday to begin an extensive excavation and search, which is expected to last through today.

Contact Arielle Levin Becker at alevin-becker@courant.com.
More articles

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this. I am also curious who these victims might be and if more will be found.

About twelve years ago a young girl was found shot to death in this exact same spot. She was never identified and there has never been much publicity about her case. This has been very troubling for me as I've driven by that spot nearly every day for the past for years on my way to college, and pumped gas countless times at the Sunoco station right down the street. To think that I was that close to something this gruesome makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I hope we get some answers soon.

New Britain Jane Doe's thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39805

I grew up in the area and am very familar with the West Farms area. Can someone please explain to me which plaza they are talking about? Thanks so much!

How long has the shopping plaza been there? Was it a truck stop before or something?

It certainly sounds like it could be a truck driver as in the case with the woman that got away (story mentioned in the thread above).

That plaza has been there for as long as I can remember (15+ years). Its close proximity to route 9 makes it a convenient dumping ground, as the killer could've fled far away in either direction within minutes. Those women could literally be from anywhere.

It does sound like a premium place for a trucker to be involved then. I was wondering if there could be more bodies on the site where it was built, but if it has been there for so long...maybe not.

This has got to be a trucker of some kind dumping bodies across State lines where publicity about a missing person is far removed from CT. Unless the missing women frequented truck stops and were unknown in the area where they went missing so no one reported them missing..4 bodies in the same location has got to be a serial killer.

There was a serial killer named Keith Jesperson that had a similar MO as far as taking women from truck stops. He has been in jail for awhile now....I think longer than 4 years.

I posted the same exact thing in the Missing/Located Forum Discussion section just a little earlier this morning! Maybe we could have a moderator merge these two threads? I think it is fair to say that these four deaths are intimately related. According to the Courant article, all four sets of remains were found behind the same plaza. I think there is a lot to discuss here.

I also think it would be a good idea to merge these two threads. There's no doubt in my mind that they're related. It will be interesting to see if a cause of death for the other three women is established, and if they died from large caliber gunshots as well.

It does sound like a premium place for a trucker to be involved then. I was wondering if there could be more bodies on the site where it was built, but if it has been there for so long...maybe not.

They just found the 3rd (actually 4th) body, so I think it's still possible that more remains could be found (although I hope not!). I'm assuming they did a thorough search of the area for evidence when Jane Doe was found in '95, so all the bodies they've found have been placed there since then, although one never knows, as the wooded area behind the plaza is rather large. I believe they've searched over thirty acres, and still have more to go.

Remember the trucker who kidnapped and raped that woman in CT last year? What route was that on?

I cant believe they found more out there. Hopefully they can idenitfy them soon and let their families know.

Remember the trucker who kidnapped and raped that woman in CT last year? What route was that on?

LOL - I'm quoting myself. My father just confirmed that incident I mentioned above happened on 84 up towards MA. It is important to note that these remains were located in a plaza not far from 84. I'm not saying the two are related, but 84 is definitely a busy interstate and does have lots of truck traffic.

They have identified one of the Jane Does as Diane Cusack, 53. The rest are still unidentified. This update is from January 19, 2011.

Which missing mother and daughter pairs are there?

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/2011/01/20/news/doc4d37b2e5c51bd141926661.txt
Cuscack’s skeletal remains, along with that of two other women, were found located in a wooded area in the rear of a shopping plaza at 593 Hartford Road in August 2007.

Lt. James Wardwell said that another of the three skeletal remains was that of a woman of Caribbean descent. That woman was 20-25 years old when she died, and her body was exposed to the elements “for between four to 10 years.” Police said the third “Jane Doe” found in 2007 appears to be that of woman 30 years old or younger. Her bones indicate she was there between four and 20 years, police said. Even though the three skeletal remains were found within 75 yards of each other, police would not link the three crimes. They also would not link the 1995 deaths with the findings of the 2007 skeletal remains.

Police say they identified the two woman found dead in 1995 as a mother and daughter through enhanced DNA testing several months ago.

In late September 1995, a young female, about 18 years old, was found in a paved area in the rear of 593 Hartford Road, the same location as the skeletal remains found in 2007. The young woman was shot in the head and wrapped inside two sleeping bags, Wardwell said.

In early October 1995, police said the girl’s mother was found partially decomposed in Tolland, Mass. She was also shot in the head and was found outside the Tolland State Forest. The woman was described as 30-45 years old and 5’2 to 5’5 inches tall. At the press conference, police had busts of what the mother and daughter would have looked like.

"Task force on the hunt for serial killer"

http://www.centralctcommunications....cle_ba2a46aa-deb6-540c-bd65-0f44a80b8426.html

The New Britain Serial Murder Task Force, consisting of federal, state and local agencies, is working to identify a serial killer who left the remains of all three women behind a plaza at 593 Hartford Road more than a decade ago.

I wonder if these victims could be related to other serial killings, particularly the 1988 New Bedford Highway murders or the NJ or Long Island murders from around the same time the New Britain women went missing.

This is a cached version of some articles that expand more on this most recent one, and they link these three murders from 2003 to two earlier ones in 1995, where one of the women's bodies was found in Massachusetts. I wonder of those possible two earlier victims of the same killer have remained unidentified:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+not+been+identified.&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&&ct=clnk

They've said not linked to the 1995 bodies which were mother and daughter and the father/husband has recently been arrested for those two murders. But interesting bodies from two different killers were found in a same location.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back