Cyndy Short: "I will continue to search for Baby Lisa" PC tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking of this saying-

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

I really think she's on a mission now for herself and baby Lisa. She understands how the local community works. I bet she has people with excellent contacts. I'd say she will be more of a PI than BS. I suspect MW should be ready. This lawyer is out for blood.I think she has decided she will show JT and BS a thing or two.

Also regarding the video with her describing the house after she went in, I noticed she did not describe the room from which the carpet was removed??? I consider that deflection. This makes me wonder which room the carpet came from?

All of this is my opinion only.

The point is that she would normally be expected to say NOTHING.

If she were to go out of her way to support the family, it would indicate that she believed it sincerely. Otherwise she would just shut up and say nothing. Like I said, I don't know, but it's very curious indeed.

I see what you mean now. IDK... there have been other times that I would have expected her to say nothing but she did. I didn't expect her to tour the home with media and I didn't expect her to say that she was going to send out daily press releases.

I wouldn't be surprised if the press conference was more to repair her image that may have taken a hit from getting fired than supporting Lisa or the family. But we'll see.

I suppose it's a bit premature to speculate what she means with what she says when she hasn't actually held her press conference yet.

And what possible reason does she have to search for baby Lisa as a concerned citizen? Either she knows something that can lead to her to finding this child/body, or she doesn't. And if she doesn't know anything, why does she think she can do a better job than police and FBI?

As I said earlier, the only thing that makes perfect sense here, in terms of her no longer representing the family, and the possibility of inadvertently breaking privilege, possible Bar Assoc. ethics scrutiny, and everything else, would be if she wants to say that she believes the family had nothing to do with anything.

But who knows? We'll find out tomorrow, I guess ;)

And what possible reason does she have to search for baby Lisa as a concerned citizen? Either she knows something that can lead to her to finding this child/body, or she doesn't. And if she doesn't know anything, why does she think she can do a better job than police and FBI?

She's definitely sending a message with the press conference. What message I'm not so sure, but I think she's protecting herself, or at least trying to, and not doing a great job of it. Because I wouldn't want an attorney that stays involved in my life after we have parted ways. She needs to stay professional and keep her mouth shut.

However, she's not doing much different from what Mark Nejame did and many of us didn't have a problem with his statements, post-Anthony representation, including me.

He refused to discuss the Anthonys, though, and mostly discussed their hideous daughter.

What possible reason would Cyndy Short have for protecting the parents? All responsibility ended when she quitfired. And, if DB is as unpleasant as she seems to be according to your theory, I assure you that Cyndy would put it behind her and just shut up. There is absolutely nothing that Cyndy can gain professionally or personally by staying involved in this case. Nothing!

Even if she is certain of their innocence (and I am actually still up on that fence) as an attorney it makes no sense for her to stay involved publicly. I could see it privately or perhaps continue to host the website but this media circus - which she must have known her release would cause - cannot help. It looks like she knows something their attorney does not or that she is inserting herself in the middle of the family and JT.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that JT approves of this. And since she is no longer on payroll that makes me :waitasec: as she may do or say things that came from having the family as clients.

It is like the mad hatters tea party. Everything is upside down lol.

That said perhaps he does approve...I actually like JT as an attorney (puts on hazmat suit now) but ..

gitana1 thank you, do you have a legal background? If not you certainly qualify as being knowledgable..:) thank you for that informational and well written post.. Maybe you hit the nail on the head in saying it is in poor taste.. rather than being unethical.. I, too, find it baffling and wonder at her own motives... I just want to know right now! Not tomorrow :blushing:

Yes we need legal eagles here. Your description of "down the rabbit hole" fits perfectly. Talk about a circus

curious...i wonder about that too but if she isn't on the case she can't cancel anything but her own press conference! I think!

As someone who practiced for years, she can hold a press conference. She cannot represent the family as their attorney if she has been discharged nor will she or can she reveal privileged communications, but there's nothing to prevent her from holding a press conference to ask people to search for this child...

I see what you mean now. IDK... there have been other times that I would have expected her to say nothing but she did. I didn't expect her to tour the home with media and I didn't expect her to say that she was going to send out daily press releases.

I wouldn't be surprised if the press conference was more to repair her image that may have taken a hit from getting fired than supporting Lisa or the family. But we'll see.

I suppose it's a bit premature to speculate what she means with what she says when she hasn't actually held her press conference yet.

BBM That's a possibility, but I think Cyndy's reputation is strong enough to withstand something like that.

"She received the Lon O. Hocker Memorial Trial Lawyer Award in 1997, given annually by the Missouri Bar in recognition of outstanding trial work.

She also received the Defender of Distinction Award in 1998 for her dedication to representing poor people charged with serious crimes. That is the highest honor given by the Missouri State Public Defender.

The Western Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty recognized her work on the Dick Dexter case with their Courageous Litigator Award.

She also graduated from Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers' College in 1994.

Since 1997, she has been a TLC faculty member trains lawyers and judges around the country.

Numerous people owe their freedom and their lives to Cyndy's dedication, compassion, personal sacrifice, and skill as a trial lawyer."

(grabbed that off the interwebz somewhere)

I keep thinking of this saying-

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

I really think she's on a mission now for herself and baby Lisa. She understands how the local community works. I bet she has people with excellent contacts. I'd say she will be more of a PI than BS. I suspect MW should be ready. This lawyer is out for blood.I think she has decided she will show JT and BS a thing or two.

[COLOR=#000080[B]]Also regarding the video with her describing the house after she went in, I noticed she did not describe the room from which the carpet was removed??? I consider that deflection. This makes me wonder which room the carpet came from?[/B] [/COLOR]

All of this is my opinion only.

IIRC, she said the carpet was in the garage and LE returned it to the garage. :thud:

gitana1 thank you, do you have a legal background? If not you certainly qualify as being knowledgable..:) thank you for that informational and well written post.. Maybe you hit the nail on the head in saying it is in poor taste.. rather than being unethical.. I, too, find it baffling and wonder at her own motives... I just want to know right now! Not tomorrow :blushing:

Yes, I am a verified poster - attorney.

(I forgot to include quoted post, so I re-did it for context!)

Joe T needs a Missouri attorney. Even though Ms Short was fired, could she be making an announcement endorsing the next attorney?

There is nothing she is doing that would get her in trouble with the state bar. She is allowed to speak with the media. She is allowed to hold press conferences. She is allowed to state that she will continue to search for the child of her former clients.

As long as she doesn't reveal anything privileged to the media, to LE or to anyone else, she's okay. And I don't see how stating she will continue to search for her former clients' missing child breaks privilege in any way. I also think this woman is experienced enough not to do anything unethical in the future, like at the press conference.

That being said, I find the whole thing questionable. Attorneys have no business holding press conferences about a case after they stop working on a case. But, let's be clear, her job was NOT to find Lisa. It was to represent her clients, and their interests may not have included finding Lisa. So, her press conference may have nothing to do with her representation of the parents.

Nevertheless, I find it in poor taste. What's the point? I agree with whoever said this was probably damage control or to do with her ego. She doesn't like the impression that she may have been fired. She wants to make sure her reputation doesn't take a hit. But she needs to be careful because this kind of press conference, in which she announces she will continue to search for the missing child of her former clients, could be seen as a dig against those clients. Kind of like, "Well they may have fired me but I still care about their child, even if they don't. So while they stick with spinners like Tacopina, I will do what they should be doing - look for their child." While not necessarily a state bar issue, I find such a thing questionable.

I'm getting the sense that people in the area are being totally caught up in the sensationalism and fame of this case. They all seem to be really losing their heads. I think the media has contributed to this is a huge way and it makes me sick. And here I have been lamenting that Aliayah Lunsford's case has almost no media attention. I think I was wrong. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe that allows LE to simply get on with its job without a total circus being created.

Poor, baby Lisa.

Thanks for the insight!

The BBM is why I am so flummoxed at this. I just can't see how it does anything other than hurt her ex clients :waitasec:

BBM That's a possibility, but I think Cyndy's reputation is strong enough to withstand something like that.

SBM.

I agree that it's quite likely but I suppose having a sterling reputation does not necessarily mean that you don't feel insecure if something untoward happens in a very public case.

Joe T needs a Missouri attorney. Even though Ms Short was fired, could she be making an announcement endorsing the next attorney?

I can't imagine why she would do that. She has no responsibility for this case, for publicity, for helping the parents, for helping JT. There is no logical reason that she would announce her replacement.

Yes, I am a verified poster - attorney.

(I forgot to include quoted post, so I re-did it for context!)

And some of us oldies can remember when Git was one of the few attorneys here :innocent:

I've always appreciated your input so much Gitanna! :blowkiss:

SBM.

I agree that it's quite likely but I suppose having a sterling reputation does not necessarily mean that you don't feel insecure if something untoward happens in a very public case.

True, but Cyndy is, by all accounts, a true professional. Even if her feelings were hurt or she was offended, I can't see her doing a PC about it. She didn't get where she is by letting emotions dictate her behavior - trust me!

I would expect JT or the Irwin family to announce their new attorney. But if they could agree it could be a way for CS to back out of the case gracefully and for JT and Lisa's family to look better.

Better is not the word I mean here but I can't think of a better one. Just that it looks like a circus and gives rise to unwelcome speculations if you're firing attorneys three weeks into the case before no one's even been charged yet. If it's an amicable arrangement between attorneys and family it might look less scandalous.

But didn't LE specifically state that they did not want private citizens doing searches! Ms Short is a representative of the law so why is she announcing she is going to do something as a private citizen that the police, the law, have asked people NOT to do..

Then why is everybody bashing DB and JI for not searching on their own? I thought most posters would be jumping for joy that Ms short would be searching for baby Lisa. I just don't get it.

True, but Cyndy is, by all accounts, a true professional. Even if her feelings were hurt or she was offended, I can't see her doing a PC about it. She didn't get where she is by letting emotions dictate her behavior - trust me!

That's exactly why this presser seems so strange. Her clients have no need for her services any more so it gives the impression that the presser is for her, not her clients. Is it usual professional behavior to continue making statements about the case after you've been fired?

Maybe I will be surprised tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members