Dairy Queen manager is arrested after 'bullying worker, 17, until he killed himself':

This pisses me off so much. I regret Kenny didn't have the support he needed to pull through.

Harley not only needs the max sentence, but some serious therapy to address her own issues so she never projects them on someone else again.

It takes a special type of cruelty to bully someone to that extreme. There isn't a lot of things my child could do to make me feel I failed as a parent, but if my child was a bully I would feel I had failed miserably. RIP, Kenneth, I pray you find the peace you never found here on earth, and I'm sorry your existence was surrounded by such cruelty.

I am very sorry that Kenny took his own life because of a lifetime of bullying. I would never wish that on anyone. I just don't understand how a second-degree manslaughter charge would stick. How can you put someone away for 10 years just for being a mean person?

This isnt the only case where the bully has been charged with causing the person to commit suicide. Like you said in your edit..........there is irrefutable proof she put him through hell for no reason at all except to satisfy her own abusive cruel sadistic wants against another human being.

I wonder if she thinks all of this is funny now and if she still thinks she is still big and bad? I doubt it since she will be held accountable for the torturous things she did to Kenny through no fault of his own. He just wanted to be accepted and liked so he tried to do all of the demeaning things she demanded of him but deep down it cut his heart like a knife to be treated so inhumanely and made fun of.

God rest his sweet soul. :heart:

I hope LE was able to obtain video from inside of the DQ showing her cruel maltreatment of Kenny. I have a feeling the family will probably sue the DQ owner for allowing someone like this to be the manager in the first place. It makes me wonder if she abused others who have worked there. One doesnt just start being a bully at the age of 21. IMO

I wonder if she thinks all of this is funny now and if she still thinks she is still big and bad? I doubt it since she will be held accountable for the torturous things she did to Kenny through no fault of his own. He just wanted to be accepted and liked so he tried to do all of the demeaning things she demanded of him but deep down it cut his heart like a knife to be treated so inhumanely and made fun of.

Upthread someone posted a screenshot of her saying "still can't believe you're gone" with his school picture. Obviously I can't parse out everything she might be thinking from just one sentence, but it seems to me that she was sad about his death and maybe didn't realize how her actions affected him.

In my experience, this kind of treatment is really common between managers and employees in food service. Not that it's right, but it's true. There is a lot of name-calling and most employees would fight back against it, but I think that this kid was beaten down for so long that he didn't have the confidence to shoot the ***** back at her.

This story tears at my heart. I'm glad she's being charged and I hope her punishment is severe.

The whole story really upset me - I was bullied during grade school and junior high - then much later on as an adult - I have PTSD from the adult bullying incident. I am also a suicide attempt survivor. I understand the pain Kenny experienced and am so sorry he took his own life - which was not his fault. I wish I could bring him back and comfort him.

Upthread someone posted a screenshot of her saying "still can't believe you're gone" with his school picture. Obviously I can't parse out everything she might be thinking from just one sentence, but it seems to me that she was sad about his death and maybe didn't realize how her actions affected him.

In my experience, this kind of treatment is really common between managers and employees in food service. Not that it's right, but it's true. There is a lot of name-calling and most employees would fight back against it, but I think that this kid was beaten down for so long that he didn't have the confidence to shoot the ***** back at her.

I think she is sorry she is finally going to be held accountable for her abuse. Bullies like she is target those they know are vulnerable. Yeah she still cant believe he is gone. Who is she going to bully now.

I dont believe that Managers makes a young employee get on the floor and make them clean it by hand. Beyond being a revolting bully she sounds like a control freak using her authority to subject pain on others. I highly doubt that happens often and if so they need to be arrested too. That is a form of abuse by itself.

She did this because she wanted to humiliate and demean Kenny in front of others and sadly it worked. She had no right to make this young man's life a living hell just for her sick pleasure. I have nothing but total disdain for this bully and hope she is convicted and given the maximum allowed.

I was very disappointed with fast food management when my kids were workers in their teen years. They encountered some very abusive bosses, the worst an owner of a local Dairy Queen. Lots of wage theft, yelling, name calling, etc. I told them they didn't have to work under those conditions.

My older son was working at a new local Burger King in high school. We decided to just drop by and get a burger and wave at him. I asked where he was and the manager pointed across the room - he was down flat on the floor scrubbing the baseboards with a small brush. The whole time we sat there eating, he was inching along the filthy floor scrubbing the baseboard with what looked like a toothbrush. He wasn't allowed to talk to us. I nearly took him home then, but he insisted on staying. It was a challenge to him, he wanted to stand up to the guy and get the best of him. He said the guy also bullied young women workers, making sexually explicit remarks. He stayed a few more months, got the girls to stand up to the manager for harassing them.

I was too because I was Native. My skin is a little darker, but I still bled red. This absolutely breaks my heart!

Has never ended. Has increased lately . People don't have empathy . Look at Standing Rock, the refugees, blacks. It is ok to bully people who seem different.

My grandson worked at a fast food place. Hevwould complain about the manager but I do not think anythings like toothbrush scrubbing.

Thosr of us who have had bad bosses know about cruel treatment, but I never imagined anything like this.

It is important to talk to your kids about bad bosses and what to do. Who knew!

The whole story really upset me - I was bullied during grade school and junior high - then much later on as an adult - I have PTSD from the adult bullying incident. I am also a suicide attempt survivor. I understand the pain Kenny experienced and am so sorry he took his own life - which was not his fault. I wish I could bring him back and comfort him.

You matter! I'm so glad you are here posting. :loveyou:

Until we realize, as a culture, what causes suicide, we will never get this right.

Making an employee scrub the floor by hand and throwing a cheeseburger at them will not cause them to kill themselves, and isn't cause to file a manslaughter charge.

At all.

This is reason to have fired this manager a long time ago, and is reason to also fire the other managers who sat there and did nothing.

When we see someone who has committed suicide, our reaction is to look at the most negative things that were going in their lives and point to those as the cause. That's not what causes suicide.

Suicide is caused by a brain chemistry that doesn't support the will to live. Most people have a FIERCE will to live, and will fight to survive despite incredible odds. But people who commit suicide don't have that will to live, sadly.

There are people who quietly go into that dark night, and don't blame anyone for their horrific depression. They write heart wrenching notes about how they just couldn't take the pain of life anymore, and are sorry for the pain their suicide will cause anyone. There are others who try to blame other people for their suicides - most notably that awful woman recently who killed her baby and herself and blamed her husband on facebook for not loving her.

This young man's death is a horrible, sad tragedy. Apparently he was bullied for years at school, and now this manager made him clean the floor by hand and threw a hamburger at him, and is holding the bag and is being charged with manslaughter for his death.

The school admin should have helped him, the other DQ managers should have helped him, he should have been given access to medical attention for his depression.

But really. Do we really think this one woman is guilty of manslaughter? No. When someone commits suicide, it's absurd to look for some recent negative experience and blame that. That's not what causes suicide.

I saw her Facebook account. I see a lot of anger in her.

It takes a special type of cruelty to bully someone to that extreme. There isn't a lot of things my child could do to make me feel I failed as a parent, but if my child was a bully I would feel I had failed miserably. RIP, Kenneth, I pray you find the peace you never found here on earth, and I'm sorry your existence was surrounded by such cruelty.

Harley Branham is deeply insecure on the level of Lori Drew, Jodi Arias, Elliot Rodger, or Omar Mateen.

People started talk about bullying because of what Lori Drew did to Megan Meier in 2006.

I can see Barnham as someone who repressed every slighting and took it out on Kenneth Suttner, ala Lori Drew or Gertrude Baniszewski.

I would be interested in her upbringing and childhood.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but why her? Because she was his manager, like a person with authority over him?

Dairy Queen manager is arrested after 'bullying worker, 17, until he killed himself': Teen committed suicide after she made him clean the floor by hand and threw a burger at him
(the Daily Mail article linked earlier)
The Missouri teen had been bullied for years at school and at work
Many witnesses testified that Kenneth Suttner, a Glasgow High School junior, had been bullied for years at school and at work.
Lexie Graves, Suttner's best friend, said she repeatedly saw students at Glasgow High School bully him.

'A lot of people, kids, made fun of the way - basically everything about him', Graves said.
Mary Korte, a friend of the Suttners, said she and her husband had told the school board that faculty were bullying students.

'These things were brought to the attention of the appropriate school officials, and it’s a shame it was swept under the rug', Korte said.

Bullying seen as cause in the suicide of 17-year-old Kenneth Suttner
The Columbia Missourian (Columbia, MO)
1/31/2017
The jury also found that Dairy Queen was negligent in training its employees about harassment and that Glasgow High School was negligent in bullying prevention.
Suttner was bullied in the months and years leading up to his death, according to those who testified. Mary Korte, the mother of one of his friends, said: "Kenny spent his life trying to tolerate negative words and actions." She was not alone in her assessment.
Lexie Graves, Suttner's classmate at Glasgow High School, said she had personally witnessed Suttner being bullied hundreds of times.
However, Young, the sheriff's deputy, said parents had complained at a school board meeting about Suttner being bullied. Reynolds and Fuemmeler said they could not recall that particular meeting but that they're typically present at school board meetings.

Wilson asked Reynolds to recall what he said when he was served a subpoena to appear at the inquest. Reynolds said he couldn't remember. Wilson said his response was recorded and that he'd said: "This is all just a crock of *****."

No matter how tragic and unnecessary his death was, he didn't kill himself because of "a bully." It was much more widespread than that and had been going on for years.

How can you single out one person to blame for what happened?

R.I.P. Kenneth,:rose:
Your pain is now over and i know you are surrounded by much love. Fly free young man. No more tears in Heaven.

It's a sad world when this type of scenario happens to young people. Society seems to be cultivating so much hate instead of love. I wonder why?
Teenagers have such a difficult time anyway, growing from childhood into adulthood.
Shame on the manager for being such a non example toward this young man as to what it means to conduct a fair workplace. I'm sure she had no way of knowing what would be such a horrible outcome of her actions, but she has to deal with taking the responsibility of those actions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back