Damien Echols's alibi

Discussion in 'West Memphis III' started by Smelly Squirrel, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Smelly Squirrel

Smelly Squirrel Has never crawled into a Pontiac Sunfire

I have a question for those who know this case. On CNN tonight, AC showed a clip from a previous report about this story. I've found it on youtube.

[video=youtube;718MifWn408]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=718MifWn408[/video]

My question is how accurate against the known facts is Echols's statement there that throughout the day many people saw him and that he was on the phone with 3 people during the time of murder and that his attorneys did not call any of them as witnesses? Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. Compassionate Reader

Compassionate Reader New Member

The attorneys didn't even subpoena the phone records. In fact, the prosecution implied that it would be impossible. Without the records, the testimony would just be more friends and family supporting a defendant. Damien's attorneys saw how that worked out in Jessie's trial, and therefore, IIRC, they didn't bother to call the witnesses. Statements were taken, but I don't think any of the girls were called.

4. claudicici

claudicici Active Member

.....and there was not a single witness even though everyone was supposedly out looking for the boys starting early in the evening that even saw Damien (who stood out) in that area.....

5. Compassionate Reader

Except those paragons of truth, the Hollingsworths, who claimed to see Damien and Domini walking along the service road in muddy clothes. Then, somehow, Domini morphs into Jason, and Domini was their niece! Just a little on the ridiculous side, don't you think?

6. UdbCrzy2

UdbCrzy2 New Member

Wow, this sounds like he was not satisfied with his defense. You do know that he has control of that though?

I think he was dissatisfied with the outcome of his trial. Which cannot be appealed on that.

Most appeals are because the defendant thinks his attorneys were ineffective.

7. Compassionate Reader

In Arkansas, that type of appeal is a Rule 37 appeal. Judge Burnett denied it, as usual, because he was running for the State Senate (a seat which he eventually won [which is why we don't have to deal with him anymore]). I don't think it was even brought up because the attorneys believed the BS the prosecution told them about not being able to get the records. Of course, it's all moot now. The Three are free.

8. HRCODEPINK

HRCODEPINK Verified Insider

"A Rule 37 hearing is held if a convicted felon thinks he or she received inadequate legal counsel. Davis spent most of the day questioning Stidham under cross-examination.

Despite the post-conviction admission, Stidham still believes that his former client is innocent and that he didn't provide Misskelley an adequate defense at trial.

It was the first case Stidham took to trial, he said. Two factors - inexperienced legal counsel and a lack of monetary resources - doomed Misskelley's defense from the start, Stidham contended. "

http://www.wm3.org/News/view/BALDWIN-AND-MISSKELLEY-RULE-37-HEARINGS-2008-11-20

For more information, you can read here: http://courts.arkansas.gov/rules/rules_crim_procedure/index.cfm

These are the AR rules of criminal procedure and you can find the information on this hearing towards the bottom. Under Rule 37. :)

9. Infojunkie

Infojunkie New Member

And how old was he? And did HE know that? He was a teenager, what would you do? As an adult I don't even know what I would do except to answer the truth as I knew it. And in regard to his interrogation...how long was he questioned for? When was he told he could talk to lawyer? When was he told he could talk to his parents? Were his parents there?

10. Cazzie

Cazzie This is love

Are there links to Damien's (and Jason's, although OT, I guess) sessions with LE? TIA...

11. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

12. Compassionate Reader

For those of you new to the case, check out this site:

http://www.callahan.8k.com/

It is the repository of all legal proceedings in connection with the case. If you can't find something there, try the Blackboard:

http://www.wm3blackboard.com/forum/index.php

It is a supporter's discussion board with links to documents (the Document Archive tab at the top links to callahan's) and case discussion.

13. guardangel

guardangel New Member

Not entirely true.imoo The majority of guilty verdicts are automatically appealed by DT's. imoo

14. guardangel

guardangel New Member

Exactly. They were interrogated for hours without a lawyer present. They were interrogated and verbally attacked. imhoo

15. Compassionate Reader

The only documentation about the abusive tactics of LE toward all three is their own statements. Does anyone believe for one minute that LE would allow illegal activities to be documented?

Jessie has said that they knocked the chair out from under him, screamed at him and told him what to say. It is documented in the trial transcripts (Gitchell's testimony) that they played a disembodied voice (one, however, that Jessie knew because he had babysat him) of an eight year old saying, "Nobody knows what happened but me." (This was Aaron Hutcheson, son of Vicki Hutcheson, whose stories were so wild that LE couldn't use them at trial.) Vicki herself testified at the trial, but she has since stated that her testimony was all a lie.

http://www.wm3blackboard.com/forum/index.php?topic=4.0

Here's a link to Aaron's outlandish stories:

http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/img/aaronh.html

Jason told his mother and she posted on Facebook that Jason told her that when he came into the interrogation room, they already had a confession written out for him to sign and that if he didn't sign, they could just throw him in the Mississippi and report him as a runaway.

Damien talks of his LE interviews in his book, Almost Home. They screamed at him, demanded a confession, refused to let him eat or drink or even use the restroom. Finally, he made it stop by saying to either charge him or release him. At that time, they didn't have Misskelley's statement, so he was released. Later, they arrested him and continued with the abusive and brutal attacks.

I don't know why the transcripts of the arrest interviews (if there were any) are not available. Maybe a legal mind can let us know that one!

16. Disgusted

Disgusted New Member

Or they can read the truth about the case here:

http://wm3truth.com/

17. UdbCrzy2

UdbCrzy2 New Member

18. Compassionate Reader

Please be advised that the site cited above as to having the "truth" is full of errors. I have exposed some of them on another thread. As to the "farm" site, enter at your own risk. The language is unbelievably nasty and most supporters are banned after their first post. The few allowed to stay are often criticize and reviled, which IMO is the only reason they are allowed to stay. It is not a site for "civil" discussion of the case.

19. Mary456

Mary456 New Member

There's some dicey language there, no doubt about it.

But if you can get past that, it's the only website that reveals the facts of this case with supporting documents.

You won't see too many "imo" or "I have a gut feeling", or "So and so has a shifty smile, so he must be guilty".

Nor will you see folks take each piece of circumstantial evidence and dismiss it with, "But that doesn't mean they killed anyone!" If you watched the Casey Anthony trial, you know what I'm referring to...the inability or unwillingness to see the forest for the trees.

You won't see rumor or innuendo or half-truths there. You will see the truth, as evidenced by the fact that the WM3 pled guilty to murdering Chris, Stevie, and Michael on 8/19/2011.

20. Mary456

Mary456 New Member

Jessie voluntarily came to the police station for an interview. The police obtained his father's permission to speak to him. They read Jessie his Miranda rights several times. He understood them (please note that Jessie had been in trouble with the law on many prior occasions; he wasn't a babe in the woods).

He was questioned for only 3 hours before he confessed. This occurred after he failed his polygraph test.

21. Smelly Squirrel

Smelly Squirrel Has never crawled into a Pontiac Sunfire

Oh brother, you hear expressions of certainty and claims of "strictly the facts" from supporters as well. That means nothing.