Discussion in 'Jacob Wetterling' started by ELOCsoul, Nov 23, 2016.
Welcome back to Websleuths DR. Some of the things you said and the actions you took on the night of the kidnapping didn't help you. LE should have listened more to the tracker Steve Mund. Hopefully you will find an agreement with LE and the public. I can guarantee you we are all learning.
Tuesday's press conference was very interesting. It gave a preview of the forthcoming lawsuits being brought by Dan Rassier and Ryan Larson against Stearns County investigators as well as the BCA.
Several points that did not make the media, as far as I can tell:
1. Dan's attorney presented a strong case that Heinrich should have been charged with Jared's abduction in 1990 or before. He stated that the mountain of evidence against Heinrich would have easily brought a conviction, and with that conviction the tire and shoe print evidence would have been strong enough to charge and convict Heinrich for Jacob's case then as well. He downplayed the claims made by LE of a non-scientific match.
2. The FBI had Heinrich pretty well sown up but that Stearns County attorney Roger VanHeel sided with SCSO and their apparent hissy fit with the FBI.
3. That Stearns made no substantial progress toward securing evidence against Heinrich after the FBI left the case in Feb 1990.
4. He credited the FBI with solving the case within days of taking it over in late 2014. He cited the following as keys to triggering the solving of the case: Patty asking for a review of the case, Robert Dudley providing the Hart Notes to FBI agent Shane Ball and specifically naming Heinrich as the likely abductor, Shane Ball for quickly and accurately refocusing the case, Madeleine Baran and her In The Dark series, and Joy and Jared for bringing the Paynesville cases to the public's attention.
5. He cited news media coverage and the 2nd and 3rd editions of my Wetterling book as paving the way to identifying problems with the investigation and overall history of the case.
6. Dan Rassier had harsh words for investigators and took some shots at Patty Wetterling as well, although he acknowledged that she was manipulated by SCSO. He got emotional when talking about how McDonald dragged his mother out of the kitchen.
7. Ryan Larson's attorney is a national civil rights lawyer from Pennsylvania. He was well spoken and said that there are members of SCSO and BCA who are not fit to serve.
DR was a private citizen, and didn't do things much differently than I (or any other person) might have done them that night under those circumstances. LE on the other hand definitely did NOT do things that night which would have helped substantitate DR's information and also help rule him out completely in 1989. Things that should have been obvious and routine mind you.
The real key to me in the suit is this: Did the FBI have enough print evidence in the print field to 99.9% put Heinrich at the crime scene? If they did, why did SCSD not act on the evidence and why did they instead name Dan as the POI? If they did not think they had good print eveidence, why? Was the print field too contaminated due to poor crime scene security? Did the DA not realize or not think that print evidence was admissible? Did the FBI keep their mouths shut all these years because they did not want to openly criticize SCSD and risk being considered a pariah by the LE community and not be invited in on cases? What did Steve Mund know about the prints and when did he know it? Why did SCSD not take advantage of offers from print subject matter experts? If I were Dan's attorney, these would be questions I would be asking.
Yeah you know I think the three mismatched tires should have lined up perfectly on that driveway, but, I think now that Kevins contamination of the scene was very complicated to understand for them. And they finally found out about him 14 years later. DR never helped himself, we all had the three media interviews to watch and listen to of him. DR seemed cold or odd in the way he acted and talked. The professionals weighed in to, we were all fooled. The bottom line is we have now solved the case, and it wasn't going to be easier for anyone else.
Kevin's ride down the driveway really messed things up.
We were not all fooled. Several of us on WS never believed DR was the perp and we were right all along
It was just you and two other people, congrats. ElocSoul, the Wetterlings, LE, and the public are all on record at one point saying maybe DR did it, and his circumstances aren't good. No alibi, was home alone, actions on night of kidnapping, etc etc...
Here is a link to a video of the press conference where attorneys for Dan Rassier and Ryan Larson preview their forthcoming lawsuits
The cold spring investigation was horrible, at least Larson seems to have a decent attorney. How can they still have Larsons property? Nothing ties him to the crime, and everything points to the man that hung himself. Sheriff Sanner is at the heart of the trouble in Larsons case, Rassiers case, and not to forget-Joshua Guimonds case. In fact when the parents in Guimonds case got a little frustrated, Sanners little helpers told them "noone tells the sheriff how to run his department" well guess what, you work for us and yes we will tell you how to run it. Sanners old school rule of hard nose and rough neck are from the days of old, and it needs a fix.
I can't watch video where I live. The net is not strong enough. Is that a synopsis of what is on the video?
They're each presenting questionable moves by LE in these cases and doing it well.
"Although sufficient probable cause existed to arrest Ryan Michael Larson, continued investigation did not reveal sufficient evidence to charge Mr. Larson."
My life is gone; basically stolen from me, Larson told WCCO earlier this year. I am always going to be looked at as the person that committed this crime.
And Larson amazes folks with his ability to ace history and geography questions on the video trivia games at Winners, the corner saloon just down some wooden steps from his apartment above the back end of the bar.
That's about it...in a nutshell.
I wonder what will be revealed about him i the tiips that were sent in
There will be lots, and it'll all be stuff that SCSO used to fit their tunnel-vision theory of the crime that was born in 2003/2004. It'll be as much nonsense as the emotionally-driven, lack of logic thinking that led so many people down the Duane Hart rabbit hole beginning in 2013.
I think you are right. I was on the Duane Hart idea. Limited by info. His actions seemed like he would be the one. He sure was a key to it though.
I have to say this case has changed the way I think about the media. From the very beginning, I saw this story on A Current Affair and they painted the 'neighbor' whose parents were away as a shady figure. In fact, I have been obsessed with finding Jacob and who took him since that first story. As time wore on,I was increasingly convinced of the 'neighbor's' guilt. The media did not make any statements that would have pointed my opinion in any other direction. WE find out many, many years later that they basically had Heinrich in the very beginning...footprints, car and no evidence on the 'neighbor.' I am never going to be manipulated again, nor will I push hard against someone who appears guilty. We did not have all the evidence. I am so sorry for what Dan Rassier and his family had to endure all these years. He did not deserve any of our accusations. Since Jacob has been found and the real murderer is caught I have backed off on the other cases where I am SURE I know who did it. An innocent man should not have lost so many years of a peaceful life due to misinformation. Peace to Mr Rassier and his family and friends. I hope you win your case and continue your life in peace
Separate names with a comma.