GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
snip:
So his brother, who had borrowed his van , now drives up in a very expensive Porsche, and he just hops in? He was supposedly angry about his brother stealing from the home, so he walks away, but then minutes later, his brother rolls up in a stolen Porsche, and he has no issue jumping right in?
DW testified that Darrell was driving the Porsche when he picked up DW 10 a.m. at Ed's house:
DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial
Wint told jurors Darrell dropped him off at the house of a friend identified only as Ed, who lived in Southeast D.C. Wint said he started drinking vodka that afternoon, began to feel sick and passed out until 10 a.m. the next morning when Darrell drove up in the blue Porsche.

snip:
DW testified that Darrell was driving the Porsche when he picked up DW 10 a.m. at Ed's house:
DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial
Wint told jurors Darrell dropped him off at the house of a friend identified only as Ed, who lived in Southeast D.C. Wint said he started drinking vodka that afternoon, began to feel sick and passed out until 10 a.m. the next morning when Darrell drove up in the blue Porsche.

Ok, thanks, I got my timeline wrong. It is still very odd that he doesn't wonder where his brother got such an expensive car. I have never loaned a housepainter an expensive item to use...

What exactly is the deal with the van? Why did it have to be burned?

(Can't believe I'm so far into this case and still confused.)

jmo
On the morning of May 13, after Daron said his brother changed the plan and said he didn’t need Daron’s help on a drywall job - only his van... Wint told the court he asked Darrell to take him to a neighborhood where he has gotten tires for his van before. Defense Attorney Judith Pipe shows him a map with a Freddy’s Used Tires on Mississippi Ave SE and his friend “Ed” who lived at ‪16 Atlantic street SE.‬ That’s where Wint says Darrell dropped him off. He says he left his phone in the van and stayed at Ed’s house all day long.
DW torched the van because his entire testimony above is BS. Darrell never had the blue van because DW drove it on 5/13 and left it parked near the scene and didn't want it traced to him since he "didn't want to go to jail for crime he didn't commit."

Court documents reveal that Wint, who was born in Guyana, moved to the U.S. in 2000 at the age of 20 and settled in Maryland where his family were.

Records show that in September 2001 Wint joined the Marine Corps Recruit Training or 'boot camp' - officially known as 'entry level separation'.

But while he started intensive basic training at Parris Island, South Carolina on July 24, 2001, he was dropped on September 28 - four weeks before the 13 week program ended.

By 2005 Wint had experienced his first of 39 brushes with the law; most are traffic offences, but the sheer volume shows a long standing disregard for the rules. Other arrests include for assault, malicious destruction of property, and a protective order has been carried out against him.
Employees raced to withdraw $40k cash from Bank of America for CEO father | Daily Mail Online

A 2015 Refresher of DW history...

In cross-examination of the man charged in the D.C. mansion murders case, prosecutors aggressively and meticulously tried to tear down his version of the moments before and after the crime.

A fiery prosecutor attacked every angle of Daron Wint’s story about where he was in hours before and after the murders. The prosecution told the jury Thursday that Daron Wint’s only alibi, his friend Ed, was dead. None of his family members could corroborate his story.

The prosecution seemingly caught the defendant off guard when they told the jury that his half-brother cooperated with investigators. Days after the minivan was set on fire and Daron Wint was arrested, Darell Wint was the one who took police to the location of the car fire and said that Daron Wint burned the debris, the prosecution said.

On redirect, the defense tried to make it clear to the jury that Daron Wint has no idea Ed was dead. They called two other witnesses who confirmed Ed did live near Atlantic Street in Southeast. The trial will resume Monday morning.
Prosecutors: DC Mansion Murder Suspect’s Alibi Is Dead

On redirect, the defense tried to make it clear to the jury that Daron Wint has no idea Ed was dead. They called two other witnesses who confirmed Ed did live near Atlantic Street in Southeast. The trial will resume Monday morning.

What do they mean that Daron had 'no idea' that Ed was dead? Didn't they try and get him to come in and give his friend an alibi? How could they not know he was dead?

The fatal flaw in DW’s whole BS story is that the house was never “unloaded.” Nothing was taken from it, including Rolex watches & SS’s wallet & many other things DrrW wouldn’t have needed DW’s help to steal. (As if the purported help of SW, JW and DW’s van wasn’t enough.)

“Days after the minivan was set on fire and Daron Wint was arrested, Darell Wint was the one who took police to the location of the car fire and said that Daron Wint burned the debris, the prosecution said.”

This argument is confusing. I thought the van was found on fire ? So how was DrrW “the one who took police” to it?

“court records show a blue minivan known to be driven by Daron Wint was also found on fire in the days after the murders”
Car Linked to Mansion Murders Suspect Was Also Found Torched

Maybe DrrW taking them there was just corroborating evidence of involvement in burning it? Or maybe the pile of debris and zipties hadn’t been found by LE. In any case it seems more inculpating of DrrW than DW IMO so I must be missing something

The fatal flaw in DW’s whole BS story is that the house was never “unloaded.” Nothing was taken from it, including Rolex watches & SS’s wallet & many other things DrrW wouldn’t have needed DW’s help to steal. (As if the purported help of SW, JW and DW’s van wasn’t enough.)

Things may have been taken that we don’t know about. With all those wonderful cars I doubt SS was a one Rolex man. JMO
I know a couple of “self-made” folks who have Lear jets and homes in Montana and Aspen and HHI and the Caribbean and NYC....Their wealth is staggering as are their possessions.
And did SS or AS family members really know what they owned? Unless they had a video documenting every item in the house we really don’t know...I do know my parents and “our kids” have no idea what in is our house. We do have a video in a safety deposit box.

I know DW was there and he is guilty but I don’t believe he acted alone.

JMO

“Days after the minivan was set on fire and Daron Wint was arrested, Darell Wint was the one who took police to the location of the car fire and said that Daron Wint burned the debris, the prosecution said.”

This argument is confusing. I thought the van was found on fire ? So how was DrrW “the one who took police” to it?

“court records show a blue minivan known to be driven by Daron Wint was also found on fire in the days after the murders”
Car Linked to Mansion Murders Suspect Was Also Found Torched

Maybe DrrW taking them there was just corroborating evidence of involvement in burning it? Or maybe the pile of debris and zipties hadn’t been found by LE. In any case it seems more inculpating of DrrW than DW IMO so I must be missing something

The van was found burned and burning.
DarrW took the police to the pile of rubbish.
From what I read DarrW took LE there at a later date, not while the van was on fire.

JMO

It’s always seemed probable IMO that someone else was involved in some way in this disgusting atrocity. DrrW long seemed like a good candidate IMO and now he looks more likely than ever.

But DrrW as the mastermind and DW as his pawn? No way IMO, for so many reasons including:

- DW’s CODIS match DNA found on pizza, apparently no DrrW DNA found in connection with crime

- hair found in room with victims matched DW but not DrrW

- no known connection between DrrW & S family, while DW has bad-blood employment history with SS that he attempted to hide in his testimony by lying about working under older PS rather than SS

- DW’s FB blackout on the days of the crime, compared to tons of usage every other day around then - not credible IMO that he constantly forgot his phone everywhere on these two days but never any other time

- DW apparently planned to be out of touch with his GF during the timeframe of crime and there’s no evidence he told her that it was because he’d be working

- Aussie eyewitnesses placed DW at S home during crime, while all potential sightings of DrrW were in side role of removing & burning car(s)

- DW had clear financial motive, as he was homeless, unemployed, facing legal & immigration problems, couldn’t even afford phone service, while DrrW apparently had thriving weed-sales business and also had new job with SW’s company

- DW has no verifiable alibi for the time in question (and apparently his attnys didn’t even try to verify, if his claim of ignorance of Ed’s death is true... but he’s most likely lying about that too) - facts are unclear but seems that DrrW may have verifiable alibi at new employee training with SW’s company

- when LE rolled up on DW & three terrified young female human shields recruited w/o consent, DW told them ‘don’t trip, they’re here for me’

- for reasons known to them, prosecution insists DW was not only primary actor but sole actor - they have no reason to shield DrrW, so far it doesn’t even seem they’re relying on him as a witness (and even if they do eventually dredge him up, that doesn’t require dishonestly covering up his role in the crime)

- DW has long history of violence, criminality, threatening to harm those who would be seen as off-limits by most people, such an infant daughters and his own family, and of trying to frame his own brother for his crimes

- and of course DW’s self-serving story is contradicted by more than 60 prosecution witnesses

This all is just off the top of my head! I’m sure this list could be five times longer, anyone else please add what I’m missing!

Bingo.

Or, maybe when DW said he didn't want any part of the robbery, DarrW had a change of heart and decided torching Amy's car was a better idea than stealing from the house.

Eta: forgot to add: "yeah, right" at the end of that last sentence.

Last edited:
I'm really trying to see how that doesn't implicate DarrW to some degree
I'm still hung up on the van.

My understanding from the prosecutor's case is that the van was parked away from the house during the crime. The tow truck driver didn't say DW was carrying anything to the van (IIRC). So I don't understand why DW thought the van would connect him to the crime when it was never at the crime scene and didn't contain anything from the crime scene.

So...I'm questioning if the van was indeed parked there all day. DW's alibi is that his brother had the van - but I still don't see in his alibi that the van as being anywhere near the house.

There's something missing with the van story. I'm wondering if the missing link is indeed the brother.

Still pondering this....

jmo

I'm still hung up on the van.

My understanding from the prosecutor's case is that the van was parked away from the house during the crime. The tow truck driver didn't say DW was carrying anything to the van (IIRC). So I don't understand why DW thought the van would connect him to the crime when it was never at the crime scene and didn't contain anything from the crime scene.

So...I'm questioning if the van was indeed parked there all day. DW's alibi is that his brother had the van - but I still don't see in his alibi that the van as being anywhere near the house.

There's something missing with the van story. I'm wondering if the missing link is indeed the brother.

Still pondering this....

jmo

I think that whatever DW says that Daryl did, is actually what he himself did.

So when he says Daryl drove the van and parked it near the SS home, thats actually what he himself did?

I think that whatever DW says that Daryl did, is actually what he himself did.

So when he says Daryl drove the van and parked it near the SS home, thats actually what he himself did?
That is another possibility. Yet, we know the van was indeed parked elsewhere - the tow truck drove DW to it. If DW drove the van to the house, how did it get to the parked spot?

The logistics of how DW got to the house is something not yet explained (except in the "alibi").

jmo

Even the “alibi” doesn’t really explain it though, does it? Maybe I’m missing something .... but if DrrW (&SW?) wanted to rob the S home, why did they want to park DW’s van three miles away?

ETA - IMO I think there aren’t enough known facts about the van & it’s movements to come to any conclusions about it. Where was it the night before, where did it leave from on its journey to park by GWU, when did it arrive there, etc. Without answers to questions like those, impossible to come to conclusions about it.

Even the “alibi” doesn’t really explain it though, does it? Maybe I’m missing something .... but if DrrW (&SW?) wanted to rob the S home, why did they want to park DW’s van three miles away?
Exactly. There is a chunk of missing information about that van.

I still think there is enough evidence to convict DW, fwiw. But sure would like to know more about DW's actual movement before and during the crime and how the van worried him so much that he torched it.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members