GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #24

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by bessie, May 25, 2015.

1. watergirl62

watergirl62 .

Actually, it is nice to see this thread get bumped. Thanks for sharing the new podcast, scdiv.

I listened to the older one but that was a long time ago. I was on walkabout for awhile, so am catching up again.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    scdiv, taylorss and Paulas88 like this.

2. taylorss

taylorss Well-Known Member

Yes thank you again scdiv! This case is a miserable reminder of all that’s bad in the world ... but i personally am still addicted to info about it.

here’s another bit from the podcast: why did DW choose the loving and lovely Savopoulos family?

this part is totally MOO! The podcast talked a lot about DW’s obsession with very fancy expensive cars - apparently his phone history was stuffed full of his searches for different makes and models, including the Porsche 911(? Iirc) that Amy Savopoulos drove.

We all know Savvas also had a thing for top-dollar cars. IMO seems likely that when DW worked at AIW he spotted Savvas driving one or more cars that caught his attention. (MOO - i have no info on what Savvas drove in those years!) Altho DW surely encountered many men who were not bitter, unhinged losers like himself, I’d speculate the super-car collection is what made his jealousy fixate on Savvas.

Building on this, again MOO, there is also the Q of what DW intended to do when he approached the Savopoulos home that day, as far as we can tell without a weapon and with his van parked 2.5 miles away. The extent of his plans is unknowable of course, but I’d speculate that at min he was intending to steal one of their cars.

3. taylorss

Deranged as DW’s conduct was in committing this freakish crime, it always struck me as another giant leap beyond the pale for him to try to pin the blame on his own brothers.

Apparently he justified that (blabbing to a jailhouse informant IIRC) by saying that his brother Darryl had turned him in. Darryl worked with DW, as you all probably remember, to try to line up a lawyer and turn himself in a way that would maximize his chance of survival. Instead of being grateful to his brother for taking the time and risk to help him out, DW resented and tried to blame him.

The podcast makes clear that’s typical of how DW’s twisted mind worked - his explosive, knife-wielding rages were accompanied by delusional rants where he claimed to have been the one being victimized. They told an interesting story from a woman he used to work with - he once had a workplace disagreement with her that seemed to end fine. Then he went to the police and tried to have her arrested, claiming falsely that she’d punched him repeatedly in the face. !

Also re my earlier post, IMO knowing that DW was obsessed with fancy cars sheds light on the time he was busted across the road from AIW, long after he was fired, holding a machete. MOO speculation I’ll bet he was waiting for Savvas to drive his fancy car out, and maybe thinking to carjack him if the moment seemed right.

4. taylorss

I wonder if killer coronavirus is raging out of control in whatever hellhole prison DW is spending the rest of his miserable life in.

5. BrownRice

BrownRice Well-Known Member

Thanks for the podcast! I’m so tired of one episode podcasts where the hosts basically get their info from Wikipedia and make campy jokes. I take long walks, so this will definitely be my companion this week.

This is one of those haunting cases I’ll never forget.

6. BrownRice

BrownRice Well-Known Member

Im on episode 7 of the podcast. This is so well done, informative, and so sad. I thought I followed it closely here, but there’s a lot of new info.

taylorss, RealForReal and scdiv like this.
  7. taylorss

yes, it’s great, isn’t it? She does such an impressive job - so much new info, and I too had thought I’d known everything at the time. Often podcasts are just a restatement of the known facts - this one way exceeds expectations.

scdiv and BrownRice like this.