DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #5

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by bessie, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEVINinTO

KEVINinTO Former Member

Former DW Attorney Robin Ficker is on CNN right now. Says he met with DW's family last night and he described them as a nice "Island" family (this <modsnip>doesn't realize that Guyana is NOT an Island but part of South America). Ficker says there are "nine children" in the family. He discounts the DNA evidence saying that DW "doesn't even like Pizza". What a joke this guy is.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

I agree that W1 may not have seen his new position as a step down, but the bold (by me) is a common misconception -- employers can say anything that's true. A lot don't because it's not worth the risk of a defamation suit (which are only won if the information is not true). But an employer can disclose why someone was let go, especially if a crime was involved.

3. Aloysius

Aloysius Member

I don't think this was supposed to be a high end, exclusive club, he's VP of

http://www.greatfallsbudokan.com/about.html

and that doesn't look like it. Maybe he thought he'd get lots of custom by the charitable association for unemployed workers that's nextdoor to it?

http://www.myfoxdc.com/clip/11517273/housekeeper-40000-in-cash-delivered-to-dc-home-where-4-murdered

4. Skigirl

I guess I should check on the whereabouts of that research assistant I fired 10 years ago.

Why do you think the police have said they believe there was more than one individual involved?

5. SophieRose

SophieRose New Member

Rules for required reserves for banks, will vary bank to bank. So a bank has to have so much cash, but can also keep some of that cash at a Federal Reserve Bank.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/reservereq.htm

Required reserves
    Based on Net transaction accounts
    More than $14.5 million to $103.6 million 3%
    More than $103.6 million 10%

Total transaction accounts consists of demand deposits, automatic transfer service (ATS) accounts, NOW accounts, share draft accounts, telephone or preauthorized transfer accounts, ineligible bankers acceptances, and obligations issued by affiliates maturing in seven days or less. Net transaction accounts are total transaction accounts less amounts due from other depository institutions and less cash items in the process of collection.

Required reserves must be held in the form of vault cash and, if vault cash is insufficient, also in the form of a deposit maintained with a Federal Reserve Bank. An institution that is a member of the Federal Reserve System must hold that deposit directly with a Reserve Bank; an institution that is not a member of the System can maintain that deposit directly with a Reserve Bank or with another institution in a pass-through relationship. Reserve requirements are imposed on commercial banks, savings banks, savings and loan associations, credit unions, U.S. branches and agencies of foreign banks, Edge corporations, and agreement corporations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_Bank

6. Skigirl

Why would Wint have jealousy for a boy he presumably had never met before that?

7. Cassie P

Cassie P New Member

This makes the most sense. A storage locker filled with items from previous robberies.

8. OTPTarheel

OTPTarheel New Member

9. Wyle_E_Coyote

Wyle_E_Coyote Well-Known Member

Has NG been named as the person receiving the picture of the money? Link?

10. Skigirl

If the cash withdrawal was planned prior to the crime, I wonder what SS wanted with $40,000 in cash. The supposed reason was his martial arts studio, but why would he need cash (beyond petty cash) for that? In my mind, either the cash withdrawal was something that was required of him by Wint, or something very fishy was going on that might be a potential whole new avenue to explore. Bribes, drug money, hit money, untraceable political "donation" are the only things I can think of that require cash over a wire transfer, ACH, check, etc. Can anyone think of a legit reason for needing or wanting a huge pile of cash like that?

11. thinksalot

thinksalot Member

Yes, that is suspicious. They shouldn't have been touched.

12. OTPTarheel

OTPTarheel New Member

Yes, you should. Very sad. Case OT but a man who perceived he had been wronged, and years later acted on it. In my county.

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/20652476-Death-sentence-upheld-in-2003-Cobb-murders

13. Skigirl

Since Greece is having such financial problems, maybe a family member? Could be something nefarious, but given how active they were in the US Greek community, and given that his grandfather started the business after leaving Greece, and given that his father is still alive and they have been said to value family and the Greek community, I would be inclined to believe it was the former.

14. thinksalot

thinksalot Member

Good question. My dead relative flew with everyone else when moved from one part of the country to another.

15. Peliman

Peliman New Member

To have cash on hand in case of a bank and/or currency collapse might be the only one I could muster. I agree it was by a demand of DW.

16. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

No gun, but my guess he used a machete.

17. rkf

rkf Inactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDRATNW99Ko

[modsnip] He heckles opposing teams at professional basketball games, too. Ran for state senator. Anything for attention.

18. BrownRice

BrownRice Well-Known Member

A machete changes everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. CARIIS

CARIIS Spelling Bee Winner - Kindergarden!

Just the way you worded it suddenly a flood!He is opening his center the next day. For whatever reason he wanted 40K for it. The "help" blabed about it "I wish I could go tot he bank and grab 40K". It got speread around that 40K would be around THurs and WInt, just went for it.

Wint is vilent and a theif so he just thought I shall go steal it.

For me, all along, the ability for the weathy to have bankers and anyone else "cater to them" is just the way it works. I have never been bewidered by him being able to get acess to cash at his whim. Its just how it works....... but if the help knew about it then there was oppporttunity for it to be gossiped about.

20. hockeymom

hockeymom New Member

Another thought on why SS might not have tried to overtake DW. DW may have lied and told him someone else was holding his daughters elsewhere and if they didn't hear from DE, they would harm the girls. SS would have no idea if that were true or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.