DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help thinking that the cover was to come dressed as lawn care. Early on, at least one passerby/witness said lawn care was happening around the time of the fire while others say the dogs were also outside. Did these lawn guys stick around? Was it a regular service with uniforms and markings on their truck?
This could have been part of the diversion plan. But, I know plenty of my clients have dogs and they usually are not outside while the lawn crew is.

I've thought the same thing and have been noticing more and more lawn maintenance crews around town wearing the lime green safety vests.

If SS was bound to the chair, who recognized the HK husband so quickly that a call was placed immediately by SS to the husband? Surely, he could not see who was at the door from his vantage point.

That's a really good point. A few potential explanation I can think of:
- SS and/or VF weren't constrained at that point
- He was seated someplace he could see out the window and saw the guy (but did he know the husband on sight?)
- VF was seated someplace she could see out a window
- The husband was banging on the door and calling for his wife and it was audible inside and he identified himself or his wife recognized his voice
- They had a way to look at footage from the cameras, if there were any trained on the front door (some have this so you don't have to physically go to the door to see who's there)
- Good guess based on the fact that VF was long overdue to get home

If SS was bound to the chair, who recognized the HK husband so quickly that a call was placed immediately by SS to the husband? Surely, he could not see who was at the door from his vantage point.

That's an excellent point. I wonder what evidence they have for how long SS was bound. I imagined that whatever calls were made that the S family was bound with the phone held up to their ear and the texts were probably typed by DW or whoever. SS and/or AS may not have been bound until the end though. I think VF's husband said he thought he heard someone on the other side of the door.

They can certainly be contacted ahead of time for a large withdrawal in order to insure that it's physically available at the bank branch. And no, SS would not have to be physically present for a withdrawal even though it's larger than $10,000. The paperwork you keep referring to can be filled out without him being there. BOA can fill out that CTR using the info they already have in their system. Besides, any co-signer on the account, ie: accountant, would have the same rights to conduct business as SS. If you have a joint account with your spouse, he/she can go to the bank, write a check for $40,000 wiping out the account and he/she has every legal entitlement to do so.

It appears that given SS's multiple business, hobby, leisure, civic and charitable interests, there could be occasions when he needs immediate cash. While it may not have been a regular occurrence, it must have been often enough that he was able to arrange the delivery after hours and obtain the money as soon as the bank opened in the morning, without raising any red flags on the part of the bank, accountant or driver. ??

Very true AND unfair. By all accounts, this family was well liked and respected, helped the community, labeled "philanthropists". That speaks volumes, IMO. AND...they are the victims.

And CHOSE to live in a city neighborhood. So many people today are looking to escape the city. Yes, the house is expensive but it's right smack near the road. The neighborhood had sidewalks and activity all around. They could easily have afforded a house with more ground maybe a little further out? But they didn't. I would suspect they were very comfortable. And I doubt they set the alarm during the day, maybe didn't even use it at night. They sound like regular, grounded people to me, just as you have said.

bbm I wouldn't.

I would imagine since the pizza crust dna results returned there was no need to go there. jmo idk I see Savvas as a very good business man and not running some shady business at all. jmo idk

I didn't say SS was running a shady business. Just that his personal and business affairs are are open to scrutiny. Yes they have one arrest, but they are still looking for others, and LE is not just looking to make arrests. The Prosecutor is interested in making a conviction, which means motive must be established. Even very reputable business people can create angst in others, especially in a competitive market with multi million dollar contracts.

Surely SS must have had to believe they had some type of chance. I wish the LE would release their estimated time of deaths. I find it amazing he could maintain his cool the way he did. It surely required Superhuman strength and control. I am hoping one of the VMs not released to the media contains some type of clue.

I'm thinking that both sports that interested SS require self-control under "stress"....either martial arts or competitive driving. I'm thinking that SS had that kind of cool control and that the perps wanted to break him.

That's why they tortured his little boy. That would break the strongest most controlled man...to see that.

I don't know where it started that an "accountant" was the one withdrawing the funds from BofA, but this is unlikely.

Snipped and BBM. This started with an article that referenced a "flurry of calls" between him, the accountant, the assistant and others. The article didn't say the accountant withdrew the funds, just that s/he was included in discussions that seem to have preceded the withdrawal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...00af9e-ff07-11e4-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

"The documents show a flurry of phone calls among Savvas Savopoulos, a bank, an accountant, the personal assistant, a construction company executive and Savopoulos’s American Iron Works company in the hours before the fire."

DW was arrested for receiving stolen goods on March 23 of this year. Not even two months ago. If he knows where to buy stolen goods, I'm assuming he knows where to SELL. I think there is a whole ring of people attached to this.

DW was arrested for receiving stolen goods on March 23 of this year. Not even two months ago. If he knows where to buy stolen goods, I'm assuming he knows where to SELL. I think there is a whole ring of people attached to this.

Maybe he was trying to get enough money to go on the run before his trial....

very very unlikely. They were probably bound to the chairs they died in from the beginning. Clues as to motive which leads to the guilty parties will be found elsewhere or not at all.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I don't necessarily think they will find a lot of motive or anything like that on the phones. I'm just curious if they even found cell phones, or if they were burned, or even missing. I'm sure they can track calls other ways, but it might provide some useful time frame information as to who the family was in touch with or what they actually had scheduled during the day on Wednesday. I know they have some information from other individuals they have spoken with already, but it might provide information on other people they were in touch with.

IIRC, DW's cell phone was found with his girlfriend in New York... hope that provides useful information as well! It's amazing how much you can find out from one little device.

Surely SS must have had to believe they had some type of chance. I wish the LE would release their estimated time of deaths. I find it amazing he could maintain his cool the way he did. It surely required Superhuman strength and control. I am hoping one of the VMs not released to the media contains some type of clue.

I feel the same way. With the Petit murders they came under the cover of darkness in the middle of the night. This seems to have started in broad daylight. Though the houses are large some are fairly close together. Their house is on less than half an acre . The house is deceiving from the pictures. Had no idea it's 10,000 sq. ft.! Yet close to the road. It's just unreal how they slipped through the cracks.

I also think DW is part of a ring dealing in stolen goods, and very probably cars are part of it. There are so many car connections to this case I think auto theft may even have been central to it.

And CHOSE to live in a city neighborhood. So many people today are looking to escape the city. Yes, the house is expensive but it's right smack near the road. The neighborhood had sidewalks and activity all around. They could easily have afforded a house with more ground maybe a little further out? But they didn't. I would suspect they were very comfortable. And I doubt they set the alarm during the day, maybe didn't even use it at night. They sound like regular, grounded people to me, just as you have said.
I thought to myself when I first saw where the house was situated that it seems with someone as wealthy as they were that the location would make them sitting ducks.

Well, I'm thinking they weren't killed until the very end. SS was on the phone just before noon. VF was still alive when firefighters arrived. These aren't certainties as we don't know who was using SS's phone and we don't know how long VF was struggling for life, but I'm thinking the clues tell us SS and VF were still alive until just before the fire. It seems that the boy was alive when the fire was set, so again, he was killed at the end. We don't know about AS.

It's awful writing this. All the killings, or at least 3, probably happened within an hour of time, perhaps less.

JUST SPECULATION, JMO, could be wrong.

Crimes in broad daylight speak of boldness, familiarity, desperation...to say the least

I also think DW is part of a ring dealing in stolen goods, and very probably cars are part of it. There are so many car connections to this case I think auto theft may even have been central to it.

Has it been determined how many cars were owned by SS and where they were all housed?
Total number of cars and total estimated value?
Were they all garaged at the house?

I didn't say SS was running a shady business. Just that his personal and business affairs are are open to scrutiny. Yes they have one arrest, but they are still looking for others, and LE is not just looking to make arrests. The Prosecutor is interested in making a conviction, which means motive must be established. Even very reputable business people can create angst in others, especially in a competitive market with multi million dollar contracts.

I think it's necessary to look closely at the business side of SS's life if only because the defense team certainly will be looking there to deflect blame from Wint. To be prepared to prosecute, they need to know everything about the victims and be ready for whatever the defense team is going to try.

I also think they will find nothing in SS's business life that gives any indication this crime was committed by a business associate.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member