Presumed Located DC - TiJae Baker, Left East New York for Washington, D.C.

The key to solving the mysterious disappearance of a 23-year-old woman from Brooklyn, New York, may be right in the D.C. area.

The family of Tijae Baker is frantic after not having heard from her since May 1. That’s the day the art student boarded a bus to the District for what she described as a one-day job to create posters for a woman she met online.

That is also when her daily contact with her family and friends stopped.

D.C. police tweeted her picture and other details about her disappearance, as well as information on how to contact the New York Police Department detective handling the missing persons case.

Two weeks ago, Baker's mother put up posters at a shopping center in Prince George’s County, Maryland, in the hopes that someone would recognize her daughter.

And she may have come very close to finding Baker in Greenbelt, Maryland, last week. News reports in New York say the worried mother received a call from Baker, asking to be picked up at a salon in a strip shopping center on Greenbelt Road.

Two weeks ago, Baker's mother put up posters at a shopping center in Prince George’s County, Maryland, in the hopes that someone would recognize her daughter.

And she may have come very close to finding Baker in Greenbelt, Maryland, last week. News reports in New York say the worried mother received a call from Baker, asking to be picked up at a salon in a strip shopping center on Greenbelt Road.
SRBM
WOW. Wow wow. I am so glad she's still alive at least. I have hope she will get out of this nightmare situation alive and get help to recover from whatever has happened

Will never understand why she didn't call 911 instead of asking her mother for immediate assistance. Mom can't be there right away. Police would have been there in no time to help or at least been able to locate her more quickly. :(

TiJae Baker, a 23-year-old Brooklynite, remains missing after disappearing a month-and-a-half ago while traveling to Washington, D.C. The soon-to-graduate art student went to the nation’s capital to meet with an online “client” who commissioned her to make posters.

On May 1, Baker left East New York at around 3:30 p.m. from the Linden Housing complex, where she stays with her mother Toquanna. Wearing a black sweater, white top and gray shorts, she traveled to Washington, D.C.’s Union Station. According to Baker’s mother, she got off. But she never checked in.

Exactly a month later, she resurfaced in Maryland, at a nail salon. There, Baker was seen calling her mother from the surveillance footage. In a terrified whisper, she asked her mom to come get her immediately. Toquanna Baker did just that, but by the time she reached Maryland, her daughter was gone.

The NYPD is continuing to investigate Baker’s disappearance with the help of Washington D.C.’s Metropolitan Police Department.

On Monday, June 1, Toquanna Baker held a rally to drum up attention for her missing child. Joining her were city council members Charles Barron and Darlene Mealy.

“I just want my daughter to return,” said Toquanna Baker at the rally.
TiJae reportedly told loved ones she booked a quick job in D.C. designing posters for a woman she met through social media. The true identity of the woman is something of a mystery. According to NaMus, TiJae possibly went to meet a female named Radisha Brown for an art convention.

Family members believe this is one of many aliases the woman uses on various social media sites and fear TiJae is in danger.

Despite filing missing person reports in NY and DC, the distraught family heard nothing from their daughter until they received a frantic phone call asking for help on June 1. The call came from a nail salon in a strip mall in Lanham, Maryland. She was reportedly whispering and the call ended quickly.

“She said just tell her mother to come get her — now,” said Roxanne Baker, TiJae’s grandmother.

TiJae’s mother rushed to the strip mall, but her daughter was already gone and her phone was turned off, the Sun reports.

Last edited:
Her IG:

Some relevant info found on her IG (and the people she went to meet), found in Gray's video, if you watch the entire segment.

Will post again: (starts about 12 mins in)

Will never understand why she didn't call 911 instead of asking her mother for immediate assistance. Mom can't be there right away. Police would have been there in no time to help or at least been able to locate her more quickly. :(
Have there been any reports on whether TiJae used her own phone or did caller ID display someone else's number?

Her NamUs page is no longer accessible.

That's interesting. There was a private FB group that was started for her shortly after she went missing. I'm not on FB, but I clicked on the link for the group, and the message came up that the page had been removed. With NamUs and the official group both removed, we will probably be hearing something official soon. I hope it is positive.

No news reports on her being found just the NAMUS taken down. That's fairly common here n Chicago when someone young goes missing, when found, the family doesn't wish the details being discussed and there is often not any MSM follow up. I hope TiJae is getting whatever assistance she needs to weather this.

No news reports on her being found just the NAMUS taken down. That's fairly common here n Chicago when someone young goes missing, when found, the family doesn't wish the details being discussed and there is often not any MSM follow up. I hope TiJae is getting whatever assistance she needs to weather this.
with how public her family made the search i do wish they'd say more

There has been a lot of information on YT that can't be brought here, but there is finally something in print. This article is from a private press conference TiJae's mother had on June 24. The article says that there will be another press statement this week.

From the article:

After missing for almost two months, 23-year-old East New Yorker TiJae Baker is now home safely due to the tireless efforts of her mother, Toquanna, who announced the news at a press conference from Councilwoman Darlene Mealy’s office this past Friday, June 24.

Tips soon came pouring in and a terrified TiJae Baker called her mom on June 1 from a Maryland nail salon. While Toquanna Baker arrived too late at the time, she was soon able to narrow her daughter’s location to Prince George’s County, where she was seen sleeping in bus stations. A store reached out after they saw a young woman looking for food that matched Baker’s description on one of her mother’s posters. Then a security guard came forward and soon after, a bus driver identified TiJae Baker as one of the passengers in her vehicle. Toquanna Baker rushed down and found her daughter nearby the bus stop, shaken and hurt, but otherwise safe.

As for TiJae Baker, she’s currently recovering from the wounds, both physically and emotionally. Her mother says she was kidnapped, and showed pictures of large abrasions on her daughter’s feet and ankles.

“She’s very frightened, she wants to go into hiding,” said Toquanna Baker. “I will have to deal with the after effects when I get my daughter and her life will never be the same. My life will never be the same. This wasn’t something that she went out and did and [sought] for herself. This was done to her.”

For parents of other missing children, Toquanna Baker’s story offers hope and agency.

“I want mothers and fathers who have missing girls and boys that are missing [to know] please do not give up because she could have easily given up and turned it over to the police and let them do their work,” said Mealy. “She didn’t. She kept the fire burning, [wanting] her child to come home. And her child is home.”
More at the link.

There are still a lot of questions, but it is good to have confirmation that she is home.

So many questions here. If she was "kidnapped" as her Mom stated, why was she seen undetained sleeping in bus terminals and riding on a bus? Why not ask for help? I'm sure we'll never know the full story but what's important is she is safe and her Mom gave her all to bring her home.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalloryK
Back