Deceased/Not Found DC - Unique Harris, 24, Washington DC, 10 Oct 2010 *arrest, guilty*

This beautiful mother's story is absolutely heartbreaking. I can't believe police would not label this case as critical or endangered when she disappeared. No woman would just grab their keys and phone and voluntarily vanish – especially not with a home full of children. Her mother is truly amazing, fighting every day and trying to find her daughter even if it seems like others have stopped. Watching the story on Lisa Ling's "Our America" docu-series (on Oprah's channel OWN) was so sad. It seems like there are so few clues. In the show, Valencia (her mother) mentioned that a few days before she vanished, Unique witnessed a murder from her apartment window. Her mother says she was on the phone with her daughter at or around the time, and that she told her very frightened daughter to move away from the window. Did the police look into that at all? Do we know if a crime did occur? Do we know anything about the polygraphs? Do her children or her niece remember anything? Someone knows something. They either stalked her or knew her schedules. The police don't seem to be doing much. I know that LE has to be vague, but they offered really nothing. I hope her mother finds her. I hope she gets justice, and that her children and mother are here to get the answers and justice they deserve.

Not completely related, but I really recommend the show itself. It also includes a segment with one of Gary Heidnik's surviving victims. It is pretty graphic and disturbing (especially if you are not familiar with the case - it's horrific and I am not one bit sad they gave that monster the death penalty IMHO) but it definitely shines a light on how not all victims and survivors are treated the same, and the disparities between them and how those of different classes, races, social status, etc. are treated. Jackie is amazing for surviving what she did and her sons seem like incredibly strong and brave boys. It hurts to see how much she still struggles with. I hope she heals and gets better with each day.

635669588394415428-Unique5.JPG

635669591500143060-unique8.JPG

Unique is 5'7" and weighs 130 pounds. At the time of her disappearance she had brown hair with auburn highlights. She has a tattoo of the names "Richard & U'Andre" on her lower back and a tattoo of her name "Unique" on her upper right arm. She has a mole on her upper lip and her ears are pierced. She was last seen wearing a white shirt, gray pants, a sterling silver necklace with a safety pin clasp, and a matching necklace and earrings set with garnet beads.

more: http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/201...oncritical-documentary-kelsey-marsh/27133985/

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Have-You-Seen-Us-383777031.html

In a 2014 interview with Lisa Ling, Valencia Harris said her daughter witnessed a murder outside her apartment.

"She called me just emotional about what was unfolding and when she told me that she was looking out of the window, my immediate response to her was, ‘Get away from the window! Get away from the window!’,” she recalled.

Valencia Harris has searched for her daughter ferociously in the years since her disappearance. She's done countless interviews, passed out flyers, organized prayer vigils and often shares posts about her daughter's case on Facebook.

"Missing for 5 yrs., 8 months, & 3 days...to long for her two children to be without their mother. Have you shared Unique's information?," a post published on June 13 read.

She has yet to receive a lead that will lead her to her eldest child.

Without A Trace: Missing DC woman's mother still searching for answers after her disappearance

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/210871851-story

It has been six years since a single mother from Washington D.C. went missing. Unique Harris’ disappearance remains unsolved and is still as much a mystery today as it was back in 2010.

But the missing person case is still open and Harris’ mother said she will continue to canvass the neighborhood and hand out flyers until her last day if she has to in order to find her daughter.

"The last words I said to Unique was, ‘I love you Yukee Pookie.’ That's my nickname for her,” said Valencia Harris. "We had a nice conversation on the phone. The boys were rambunctious on the background.”

There have been few clues in the investigation. But one thing Valencia said she is certain of – there was foul play in her daughter's disappearance.

"I don't need the detectives to tell me,” she said. “I know my child better than every detective that has worked on her case. I know my child and I know my child would never ever, in a gazillion years, leave her children like this.”

Unique's case was featured on Maury. I don't necessarrily care about the psychic BS, but I'm glad that this has gotten national exposure. Her mother is relentless. So many mothers just give up. She won't.

[video=youtube;9eHmoQCO3EQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=9eHmoQCO3EQ&app=desktop[/video]

Unique has been missing for 7 years. She was actually reported missing on Saturday 10/9/10. Most news articles just use 10/10/10 because it sticks out more. Lord look over her children.

District police organized the gathering Saturday to help families with missing loved ones meet one-on-one with detectives and forensic experts to try to find answers.

A main feature of the event included a DNA collection station, where relatives of the missing had their mouths swabbed for samples that will be run through a national database of dead but unidentified people.
The District is home to some high-profile missing-person cases, including those of Relisha Rudd, a girl who lived in a homeless shelter and disappeared with a janitor at age 8; and Unique Harris, a young mother who vanished from her Southeast Washington home while her children slept in the next room.
‘We want her to come home.’ Families of those who vanished search for answers.

Unique RaQuel-Leona Harris – The Charley Project

• Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Harris has auburn highlights in her hair. She has a tattoo of the names "Richard & U'Andre" on her lower back and a tattoo of her name "Unique" on her upper right arm. She has a mole on her upper lip and her ears are pierced. Harris is extremely nearsighted and wore her eyeglasses everywhere, but they were left behind at home.
Details of Disappearance
Harris was last seen at her apartment in the 2400 block of Hartford Street southeast in Washington, D.C. on October 9, 2010. She had moved in only five weeks earlier, and lived with her two sons, aged three and five. Her cousin's daughter, age eight, was visiting at the time and spent the night there.

Harris disappeared sometime between 3:00 and 8:30 a.m. She spoke to someone on the phone at 3:00, and when the children woke up at 8:30 a.m., she was gone. They were asleep during the night and didn't hear anything unusual.

There was no evidence of forced entry to the residence and no signs of a struggle. Harris's glasses were folded on a pillow in the bedroom, which is where she always kept them when she slept. Her purse was also left behind, but her phone and keys were missing. Her eyesight is so poor that she could not have navigated out of the building by herself without her glasses.

The area of Harris's apartment building has a very high crime rate, and the building itself was not secure; its security intercom was inoperable, and Harris's apartment door was not in good shape. Harris witnessed a murder outside her apartment several days before she went missing, but there's no indication that this was connected to her case, and she hadn't acted fearful.

She had just gotten accepted to a massage therapy school, and she had an upcoming court date regarding a child support issue. Her boyfriend was out of state at the time of her disappearance. Both her boyfriend and her ex-boyfriend, the father of her sons, passed polygraphs in her case.

Harris was raised in Richmond, Virginia and graduated high school there. She moved to Washington, D.C. in 2010 to be closer to her mother. She has no history of drug abuse and didn't even drink alcohol, and she wasn't having any problems with her family at the time of her disappearance. Her family does not believe she would have abandoned her children or left them unattended.

Although there's no hard evidence of foul play in her case, authorities believe she's missing under suspicious circumstances. Her case remains unsolved.

10 years later, arrest made in DC woman’s disappearance case | WTOP

Police in D.C. arrested and charged a suspect with murder 10 years after a woman disappeared from her Southeast home.

Unique Harris, 24, was reported missing from her home on Hartford Street in the Woodland neighborhood on Oct. 10, 2010.

Years of investigating the disappearance led police to arrest 43-year-old Isaac Moye of Southeast D.C. Saturday. He was charged with second-degree murder while armed.

10 years later, arrest made in DC woman’s disappearance case | WTOP

Police in D.C. arrested and charged a suspect with murder 10 years after a woman disappeared from her Southeast home.

Unique Harris, 24, was reported missing from her home on Hartford Street in the Woodland neighborhood on Oct. 10, 2010.

Years of investigating the disappearance led police to arrest 43-year-old Isaac Moye of Southeast D.C. Saturday. He was charged with second-degree murder while armed.
Interesting in this article and all the others I can find give no mention of how she could have gone missing from her apartment between 3AM and 8:30AM. Also most of the articles mention that the case is STILL under investigation and they STILL mention the reward for information. There are others involved? LE is still trying to piece together how the whole thing went down that morning?

@JnRyan
I’m unfamiliar with this case. I came across the article last night & wanted to post it for those who have been following. But now you’ve got me curious! I’m gonna have to read up on it.

Officers Make Arrest in 2010 Murder of DC Woman

Man, 43, charged with murdering mother-of-two, 24, who disappeared 10 years ago | Daily Mail Online

On Saturday, members of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force armed with an arrest warrant tracked down Moye and took him into custody.

Isaac Moye, 43, was arrested on a warrant on Saturday and charged with second-degree murder while armed for the killing of 24-year-old Unique Harris.

DC Metropolitan Police have not revealed what prompted Moye's arrest, only stating in a press release that it came 'as a result of the detectives’ investigation.'

Harris, a mother of two, vanished from her bedroom while her sons, then aged three and four, slept in the other room. Harris was last seen alive at 10pm the previous night.

030 - The Disappearance of Unique Harris — Trace Evidence

This link states:
After putting the children to bed, sometime between 10pm and 9am, Unique vanished from her apartment.
I've seen it narrowed down further. Evidently she was home when her cell phone rang at 3AM. (Children hear it? LE determined the cell phone's location? Don't know.) Interesting in that I've seen where LE doesn't mention WHO called her. I've then read where the children were up at 8:30 and their mother wasn't there. So that is where I've heard the 3AM to 8:30AM. Her children were pre-school age, but the cousin staying with her family was 9 years old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back