Missing pregnant Shannon Watts and her two daughter's bodies found, husband arrested
Join the latest discussion

Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #6

Discussion in 'Deaths of Male College Students/The River Killers' started by christine2448, Jun 27, 2009.

1. christine2448

christine2448 Retired WS Staff

Please continue general discussions here.

There is a ton of information in this forum! Excellent work sleuthers!

FORUM HERE
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146"]Deaths of Male College Students/The River Killers [/ame]

2. pittsburghgirl

pittsburghgirl Active Member

First, a response to the article about the murder of Derrick Heidt. Why are all these LE agencies so eager to write off obvious murders as drownings? In this case, the young man called his parents and told them he was being chased; his apartment was searched; and his body had bruised consistent with a beating.

Second, have there been any reports on the investigation of the two original detectives who started to put the Smiley Killer theory together?

discretions likes this.
  3. Peculiar Petunia

Peculiar Petunia New Member

To Pittsburghgirl--I have no info on your second question, but I really think that local PDs just don't have the money to investigate a situation like this with all the budget cutting and tax decreases. Therefore, IMO, they are ignoring many of these cases. If they did dig in deeply, there could be travel--and getting sucked into possible out of state cases--and possibly testifying in trials.
    I hate my cynicism sometimes.

4. Cherish

Cherish New Member

I was on footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com and noticed that during the month of September, it appears boys went missing at the end of the month. I am still hopeful that the investigators have some sort of announcement to make.I keep watching for something positive, but now that the school year is underway ..... nothing has me believing that the criminals will be caught.

discretions likes this.
  5. mssheila

mssheila New Member

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s1127668.shtml

Body Found in St. Croix River is Missing Man

STILLWATER, Minn. (AP) - Authorities say the body of a 21-year-old man who's been missing since last week was pulled from the St. Croix River near Stillwater.
    The Washington County sheriff's office says Christopher Long's body was found Saturday about 500 yards south of the Arcola High Bridge on the Minnesota side of the river.
    Long's wallet and keys were found on the railway bridge last week, and several agencies searched the river and shoreline after receiving a report that someone was thinking of jumping off the bridge.

6. buffetoflies

buffetoflies Active Member

I find it odd that there are so many men that die in the water who supposedly end up there because they were 'attacked', yet there has never (that I know of) been a person to come forward and say they were attacked by a river but managed to escape.

7. mysterygirl

mysterygirl A Nancy Drew Wannabe

Yes there have been people who were attacked by a river and lived to tell. There was one case where a guy remembers waking up in a river, had no idea how he got there (drugged?) and walked a an ER where he was treated and police were called. His last memory was being at a bar and then he could not remember anything until he woke up floating down a river!

8. mysterygirl

Fox just reported that a possible break in the smiley face killers has been made.

Kevin Gannon, one of the detectives who developed this theory was on and said that names will soon be released naming persons of interest.

He went on to talk about verification of an organization and possible reasons why men are being killed. He mentioned a Pat McNeal victim that was initially not ruled a homicide is clearly a homicide since he was tied to something and burned....

sounds promising....

9. mysterygirl

OK............detective Gannon stated that Pat McNeil was abducted, held for a time, tied to a chair and ??burned to death.

The medical examiner reported lig. marks from the beginning but for so reason it was missed!

He was dead before being placed in the water.

McNeil's death was eventually ruled a suicide. This is where the two detectives get involved. The parents claimed that they knew it was a homicide from the very beginning.

10. Harmony 2

Harmony 2 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

The Fox video discussing this new development:
    [ame]http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=videolandingpage&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=10128018&referralPlaylistId=deacb58e617aac33e5a9f48f0bf3ad61baaffd1a[/ame]

The SFK site:
    http://www.sfkillers.com/

11. Cherish

Cherish New Member

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO126896/

I occasionally search the web and found the above article.
    This is a news article about a young man(24) from Boston, who ended up in the Charles river after a hockey game. He'd been missing since October 8th.

I was hoping I wouldn't find anymore mysterious drownings after I read about the detectives stating they have information.
    If the detectives have the names of people involved..... have arrests been made? This must be a huge undertaking.

12. grandmakin

grandmakin New Member

Deja me. The forum doesn't like me tonight, I'm afraid.

13. grandmakin

grandmakin New Member

Have we heard more about the break in the case?

14. grandmakin

grandmakin New Member

I thought of the smiley face killer when I read about the Boston man too, Cherish.

15. grandmakin

grandmakin New Member

I thought of the same thing when I read it too, Cherish.

16. Cherish

Cherish New Member

I read the articles about William Hurley (the person found in Boston) and again it sounds so familiar..... especially the Gerald Smith drowning from May.

17. grandmakin

grandmakin New Member

I find it interesting that William's phone was smashed.

18. gaia227

gaia227 I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an

Hi - sorry if these have been posted before. All three of these men were about the same age. They all disappeared on New Yrs Eve in NYC. The last link is to Larry Andrews - the only one whose body was found floating in the East River. Sam and Vernon just vanished and have never been seen again.

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2009/09/010184-samuel-todd-24-new-york-city-ny.html

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2009/10/010193-vernon-cameron-kent-jones-23-new.html

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2008/05/010198-larry-andrews-22new-york-ny.html

19. LetJusticePrevail

LetJusticePrevail New Member

Isn't it great to know there are Kevin Gannon's around. Investigators that have their hearts in the right places - that refuse to turn a blind eye to what's become an epidemic. These murders share the same thematic and are national but sometimes I feel the missing link in solving this is due to the territorialism of PD in sharing information and desensitivity that exists within PDs. It's a travesty when a parent has to prove their child was murdered when all circumstances clearly point to that but they are ignored.

And while I understand releasing too much information could potentially compromise the investigation and apprehension of all responsible, it's sad that the consequence will likely result in more young men turning up dead.

Finally, I'm very interested in the psychological makeup of the individuals in this organization and what the motives for their actions are.

20. Cherish

Cherish New Member

I do praise any and all law enforcements who take information at face value and proceed without prejudice (in spite of how crazy it all may seem) We as a society must realize there are no rules to committing crimes and there are no boundaries to what the evilness of a person may delight in. I do thank Kevin Gannon and Anthony Duarte, they are our modern day "Lone Ranger and Tonto" :) This has been.... something like 11 years... following an investigation of what many police forces have scoffed at and denied.I hope there will be apologies to the detectives and the victims families when this all comes out. I also eagerly await the explanation of why these people were so compelled to destroy so many families and continued to do so .... never developing a conscience or empathy.... I'm exhausted... why aren't they?

"Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of the wicked,for the evil man has no future hope,and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out." Proverbs 24:19-20