Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #6

You are right on point with your last comment. This isn't happening to females or males of other races, not in these high numbers anyways. This is happening to young, white males. It's very scary.

Although many of these victims are white males, I think it's important that people understand this pheonomenon is certainly not restricted to white males. Here in Boston the suspicious deaths of Josue Quispe, Dennis Njoroge, and Franco Garcia are all similar cases involving bright, stand up, young college men of high intelligence who were found in water, and these men were of hispanic and african american descent. In NYC the suspicious death of Anthony Ureña is another case that fits the SFK M.O. to a T. Or how about the suspicious drowning of Jelani Brinson in Minneapolis? I dont think these crimes are exclusively connected to white males. Last week in Springfield, MA, the body of Achim Bailey was found floating in the Connecticut River. He was last seen late at night, over 2 months ago in January, after he was kicked out of a bar. He was also African American, and his case is yet another that fits the sfk profile in every way.

What are sleuthers' thoughts on the recovery of Achim's body from the river? Sadly, it's what I expected from day one.
I would like to know:
  • Cause of death--is there water in his lungs?
  • Stage of decomposition--does it match the length of time he was missing?
  • Toxicology results--any drugs? If so, what?
  • Any marks on the body?
I would also add whether or not there was any graffiti found nearby with characteristics of other sfk cases. I dont necessarily believe that the smiley face or other grafitti is a definitive indication connecting these cases. I'm not sure how significant this aspect of the pheonomenon really is, but I do feel the presence of any odd grafitti should be worth noting.

I don't mean to be pestering you @Reachingfornettles, it's just that you are the only person I've ever encountered who was drugged at a bar, inexplicably ended up at the water, and lived to tell about it
WRONG....not the only person...although I am not a college guy...I frequented the same bars as the guys in Boston and getting your drink spiked by someone can happen very easily. In my case it turned out to be a cab driver who would then conveniently then be there to "help" get the person he drugged "home safely." I went into a bar to bring friends money and drive them home. Instead I drove my car the wrong way on the Expressway and got into a head on collision. I woke up in the hospital to find out I had been drugged and my car totaled (this was 1999). I had no ID, money or anything on me. They found my stuff along with several other girls in a cab drivers home and uncovered his crime. But something very similar to that situation could explain how these men get drugged and taken and killed

WRONG....not the only person...although I am not a college guy...I frequented the same bars as the guys in Boston and getting your drink spiked by someone can happen very easily. In my case it turned out to be a cab driver who would then conveniently then be there to "help" get the person he drugged "home safely." I went into a bar to bring friends money and drive them home. Instead I drove my car the wrong way on the Expressway and got into a head on collision. I woke up in the hospital to find out I had been drugged and my car totaled (this was 1999). I had no ID, money or anything on me. They found my stuff along with several other girls in a cab drivers home and uncovered his crime. But something very similar to that situation could explain how these men get drugged and taken and killed

Glad to hear you survived this, goes to show you really have to be on your guard.

I, too, am glad you survived the drugging ordeal. It does appear to be different from the cases where the men were found dead in a body of water, but robbery didn't appear to have been the motive. By "only person I've ever encountered" in my reply to ReachingForNettles, I didn't mean that I thought she was the only person to have ever survived a spiked drink episode. I meant she was the only person I've encountered to whom I could ask questions about ending up at a body of water after consuming a spiked drink. I'm very keen on trying to understand what has caused so many of the supposed "drowning" victims to have been seemingly drawn to a body of water. Based on your account, @Crazyjster, I assume you were not drawn to a body of water that night? But, if you were drawn to a body of water before getting into your car, do you remember anything about it that you could share here on the thread? TIA.

@Eleanor Rigby I do not recall the events of the evening but evidently got in my jeep and drove on 93 (the wrong way) and got into a head on collision...that part of 93 is now the Zakim Bridge, everything in that city surrounds water...its Boston. I woke up in the hospital 2 days later and only remember being at the bar. However, I did get to thinking about how many college age males WILLINGLY go into the river drunk, impaired, etc.. and SURVIVE...(or did when I was in college...which was quite a few...college pranks). The instinct to survive kicks in...which makes me think that these men did not go into the water alive. Fight or flight.

Although many of these victims are white males, I think it's important that people understand this pheonomenon is certainly not restricted to white males. Here in Boston the suspicious deaths of Josue Quispe, Dennis Njoroge, and Franco Garcia are all similar cases involving bright, stand up, young college men of high intelligence who were found in water, and these men were of hispanic and african american descent. In NYC the suspicious death of Anthony Ureña is another case that fits the SFK M.O. to a T. Or how about the suspicious drowning of Jelani Brinson in Minneapolis? I dont think these crimes are exclusively connected to white males. Last week in Springfield, MA, the body of Achim Bailey was found floating in the Connecticut River. He was last seen late at night, over 2 months ago in January, after he was kicked out of a bar. He was also African American, and his case is yet another that fits the sfk profile in every way.

You make an excellent point...I also noticed many were only children or only "sons"...not sure if that means much

@Eleanor Rigby I do not recall the events of the evening but evidently got in my jeep and drove on 93 (the wrong way) and got into a head on collision...that part of 93 is now the Zakim Bridge, everything in that city surrounds water...its Boston. I woke up in the hospital 2 days later and only remember being at the bar. However, I did get to thinking about how many college age males WILLINGLY go into the river drunk, impaired, etc.. and SURVIVE...(or did when I was in college...which was quite a few...college pranks). The instinct to survive kicks in...which makes me think that these men did not go into the water alive. Fight or flight.
Thank you for your reply. I, also, do not think most victims went into the water alive; however, apparently, some have, and not as part of a prank. I'm just very curious about all the possibilities of different things that could be going on. Reports of people being drawn to water make me think about the chemical similar to scopolamine called “burandanga” in the drug "Devil's Breath." It's supposed to make victims lose their free will. However, I'm not sure if this drug can be administered in a drink. I think there are several different drugs being used to spike drinks, based on the different symptoms I've been told about from a few people that were victims and from reading about reports like yours and that of ReachingForNettles. The people I know were not drawn to water, but I'm very curious about those who were.

Your belief that you were the victim of a crime coordinated by a bar employee and a cab driver reminds me of a comment posted on the blog "Boston's Mysterious Vanishing Men" by a man from Seattle visiting Boston and experiencing something similar (though not involving a car crash). That poster believed it involved immigrant Somali cab drivers. It seems like both he and you were set up to be robbed, while most of these mysterious deaths of men whose bodies were recovered in water did not seem to be motivated by robbery. MOO.

Does anyone think that this missing 19 year old college student in Boston fits the whole victimology/profile here? To me, he really does, and now they think they've found his body.
Here's the link : Search team: Body found during search for missing college student in Boston

I agree that all the circumstances reported so far match, except that MC's body was found "behind a building." However, I do recall at least two of the early cases in the upper Midwest in which the victims were found in a remote quarry, and not in a body of water. But all the other circumstances "fit," so those victims were usually included in the "mysterious deaths of male college students" category. MOO.

Thank you for your reply. I, also, do not think most victims went into the water alive; however, apparently, some have, and not as part of a prank. I'm just very curious about all the possibilities of different things that could be going on. Reports of people being drawn to water make me think about the chemical similar to scopolamine called “burandanga” in the drug "Devil's Breath." It's supposed to make victims lose their free will. However, I'm not sure if this drug can be administered in a drink. I think there are several different drugs being used to spike drinks, based on the different symptoms I've been told about from a few people that were victims and from reading about reports like yours and that of ReachingForNettles. The people I know were not drawn to water, but I'm very curious about those who were.

Your belief that you were the victim of a crime coordinated by a bar employee and a cab driver reminds me of a comment posted on the blog "Boston's Mysterious Vanishing Men" by a man from Seattle visiting Boston and experiencing something similar (though not involving a car crash). That poster believed it involved immigrant Somali cab drivers. It seems like both he and you were set up to be robbed, while most of these mysterious deaths of men whose bodies were recovered in water did not seem to be motivated by robbery. MOO.

Let me clarify..I believe the only reason I was involved in a car crash was because I escaped from a cab...(based on later arrest). I do not believe anyone in the bar was involved...and robbery was not the only motive in my case and others like mine (involving females). I am not familiar with strains of GhB but I know there was GhB in my system and I did not willingly ingest it. I have not heard of people being "drawn to water" per se...but I can see the attraction towards it being someone who loves water, especially the beach...But if that were the case, the number of people would be staggering from booze cruises, to beach parties from drunk college kids drowning but it just doesn't happen that often because "fight or flight" absolutely kicks in whether or not the person is even aware of it.

I agree that all the circumstances reported so far match, except that MC's body was found "behind a building." However, I do recall at least two of the early cases in the upper Midwest in which the victims were found in a remote quarry, and not in a body of water. But all the other circumstances "fit," so those victims were usually included in the "mysterious deaths of male college students" category. MOO.

You want to go back even further...there may be some here...
In Quarry's Dark Water, Grim Tales of Danger and Despair

You want to go back even further...there may be some here...
In Quarry's Dark Water, Grim Tales of Danger and Despair
Interesting. It seems quarries are popular body disposal sites in some areas.

Below is from an article that mentions the bodies of two male college students found in a quarry in Wisconsin, and possibly linked to the "River Deaths" in Wisconsin university towns because the circumstances were so similar.

What?s behind deaths of two in Whitewater quarry?

What?s behind deaths of two in Whitewater quarry?

• Greg Peck
  • Aug 7, 2012
"The bodies of two UW-Whitewater students have been found below a quarry’s north rim in the past 14 months. Mark J. Wegener, 20, was found dead May 30, 2011. Edgerton High School graduate Benjamin R. Fuder, 21, was found Sunday, July 29.

The quarry is just outside the city limits and about a mile from where both students were last seen while reportedly out partying in early-morning hours.

Some UW-Whitewater students are terrified. They think a killer is loose and fear being the next victim.

Likewise, some people believe serial killers are behind the river drownings of so many young adults in La Crosse in recent years."

wonder if anyone has checked out the grafitti?

Any super sleuths know how to check the glassblowing school building for graffiti? (Other than taking a field trip.) Although, if there are rocks or trees "in the brush" there, graffiti could be on those. I know nothing about the area, but for those who do, does the location where his body was found sound like a route / short cut a young man would take to get home or somewhere in the neighborhood?

Police Find Missing Teen Maximillian Carbone But It's Too Late
Maximillian Carbone was found this morning in the brush behind a Roxbury glassblowing school. A school manager said three of Carbone's classmates Saturday had tracked his phone to the area of the school. http://bos.gl/qaa5CoK

I think until COD is made public by someone (family, LE, media) it is hard to make any determination. If you do a google search or know the area there are woods that are behind the building. It could have been something as simple as he fell and hit his head in the woods after being nearby at a party to something way more sinister. Until there are any facts one way or another, its hard to speculate. My feelings are, if something was more sinister was involved...they would have messed with the phone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back