Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #6

I thought of the smiley face killer when I read about the Boston man too, Cherish.

I read the articles about William Hurley (the person found in Boston) and again it sounds so familiar..... especially the Gerald Smith drowning from May.

Hi - sorry if these have been posted before. All three of these men were about the same age. They all disappeared on New Yrs Eve in NYC. The last link is to Larry Andrews - the only one whose body was found floating in the East River. Sam and Vernon just vanished and have never been seen again.

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2009/09/010184-samuel-todd-24-new-york-city-ny.html

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2009/10/010193-vernon-cameron-kent-jones-23-new.html

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2008/05/010198-larry-andrews-22new-york-ny.html

Isn't it great to know there are Kevin Gannon's around. Investigators that have their hearts in the right places - that refuse to turn a blind eye to what's become an epidemic. These murders share the same thematic and are national but sometimes I feel the missing link in solving this is due to the territorialism of PD in sharing information and desensitivity that exists within PDs. It's a travesty when a parent has to prove their child was murdered when all circumstances clearly point to that but they are ignored.

And while I understand releasing too much information could potentially compromise the investigation and apprehension of all responsible, it's sad that the consequence will likely result in more young men turning up dead.

Finally, I'm very interested in the psychological makeup of the individuals in this organization and what the motives for their actions are.

I do praise any and all law enforcements who take information at face value and proceed without prejudice (in spite of how crazy it all may seem) We as a society must realize there are no rules to committing crimes and there are no boundaries to what the evilness of a person may delight in. I do thank Kevin Gannon and Anthony Duarte, they are our modern day "Lone Ranger and Tonto" :) This has been.... something like 11 years... following an investigation of what many police forces have scoffed at and denied.I hope there will be apologies to the detectives and the victims families when this all comes out. I also eagerly await the explanation of why these people were so compelled to destroy so many families and continued to do so .... never developing a conscience or empathy.... I'm exhausted... why aren't they?

"Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of the wicked,for the evil man has no future hope,and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out." Proverbs 24:19-20

10/30/09: Isaac Ripberger, 28, California, KY
Isaac Ripberger, 28, walked away from a Halloween party at a house on Reis Lane in an unincorporated area of California, Kentucky and never came back or returned home.

Friends told police they last saw Ripberger on the front porch of the house at about 3:30 a.m. Sat., Oct. 31, 2009 while they were attempting to get their vehicle unstuck from the mud. Officer Steve Kush said, "It was cold and raining. "What few people were left at the party were trying to get the vehicle unstuck. He was waiting on the porch. Once they got the vehicle unstuck, no one could find him." Friends thought he went back into the house to spend the night, and did not realize he wasn't there until the next morning. They reported him missing. Friends reported that Ripberger may have been under the influence, and some speculated that he may have been injured.

The Boone County Water Rescue recovered Ripberger's body in a nearby lake on the afternoon of Sun., Nov. 1, 2009. The body was within sight of the house where the party was held. He was still wearing the 1920s style pinstripe suit he wore to the party--a Roaring '20s theme--but the jacket and tie were missing. An autopsy performed the following morning showed water in the lungs, indicated that Ripberger had drowned. There were no signs of foul play. "Our preliminary investigation shows that he most likely drowned," said Officer Steve Kush, with the Campbell County Police Department. "We haven't ruled out anything for sure. Things are looking toward an accidental drowning. We are following a couple of leads."

The Campbell County coroner's office is awaiting toxicology reports.

Police haven't determined why or how Ripberger ended up in the lake and they are investigating the incident. Anyone with information is asked to call the Campbell County Police at 859-547-3100.

This information is found on: http://footprintsattheriversedge.bl...09-isaac-ripberger-28-california-ky.html#more

I was wondering if there is a pattern of the birth order of these men. Any older siblings.... sisters or brothers? I read the above posting of Isaac Ripberger and they stated in the comment section there is a Cincinnati Ohio connection. He could have been followed or befriended. I'll try to pull up news articles.

I'm posting an old news article that reminded me of the Isaac Ripberger drowning. I've posted it before because it was in close proximity to and in the same time period as the Dan Zalmen and Gerald Smiths drownings.

May 18, 2009 10:38 pm - The body of a missing 17-year-old was discovered in a pond near Celestine in Dubois County around noon Monday.

Body of missing teen found

From Staff Reports

The body of a missing 17-year-old was discovered in a pond near Celestine in Dubois County around noon Monday.

Zachary “Zach” Ryan Patton, 17, Jasper, was last seen around 4 a.m. Sunday at a farm near Celestine. Patton was attending a party there with several other high school students from the Jasper area. His family had reported him missing and a search on foot, by boat and air was centered around the address where he was last seen, 3880E SR 164. His body was found in a pond on that property and was positively identified by the Dubois County coroner at the scene.

An autopsy was completed Monday but an exact cause of death was not determined, pending toxicology results. State police said they do not believe foul play was involved in the case and the investigation is continuing.

Here is another similar drowning to Isaac Ripberger. Notice the time each one of the three were last seen.

Body Believed to Be That of Missing Ithaca College Student Found in Pond
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
PrintShareThis
ITHACA, N.Y. — Searchers have recovered a body believed to be that of a 19-year-old Minnesota student missing since Sunday from his upstate New York college.

New York State Police divers found the body about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday in a small pond on the Ithaca College campus.

Troopers are tentatively identifying the body as that of William Jacobson, a freshman from St. Paul, Minn.

Jacobson was last seen around 3:30 a.m. Sunday walking back to campus after a party at a house in town. Friends reported him missing.

Police say they are continuing their investigation.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO126896/

I occasionally search the web and found the above article.
This is a news article about a young man(24) from Boston, who ended up in the Charles river after a hockey game. He'd been missing since October 8th.

I was hoping I wouldn't find anymore mysterious drownings after I read about the detectives stating they have information.
If the detectives have the names of people involved..... have arrests been made? This must be a huge undertaking.

His name was William Hurley. The case is still opened. They have not released the autopsy report. His great-aunt posted on WS that LE is investigating and does not want to discuss the case. The family feels it wasn't an accident, as he was waiting to be picked up by his girlfriend who was just a few minutes away. His cell phone was found smashed. He was a strong swimmer, a Navy veteran, and was texting and checking email just before he disappeared--hardly a candidate for falling in the river.

Here is the WS thread. [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90128"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90128[/ame]

Thank-you for answering my post. I find articles on the missing but usually don't find anything about the updates of the cases.

Do you know about the website http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/ ? Many of the cases have a similar circumstance not unlike Mr. Hurleys. I'm positive that a device is used to block cell phone signals before the victim is assaulted. Low battery or not .... communications are cut off. I really feel sorry for all these families,but I have faith that help is on the way.

Aren't the detectives supposed to make an announcement about the "smiley face killers" and what they found out this coming January?

I have been trying to find out more about this. What happened to the dog?
Just another strange drowning of a healthy guy, and they found him in a creek? it does noy sound like it was deep water.
Any updates?

I have been trying to find out more about this. What happened to the dog?
Just another strange drowning of a healthy guy, and they found him in a creek? it does noy sound like it was deep water.
Any updates?
I thought what everyone here thought...oh no...not again...but they did say these areas could flood. But, something just doesn't make sense. I would imagine if the dog is found dead as well (could this young man have been trying to save the dog?) then we will know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back