Debate Over Coretta King's Portrait Includes Racial Slur

White Rain

Reaction score
Before I post the story/link I just want to make it clear that Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam is BLACK.

ATLANTA -- The debate over a proposal to hang a portrait of Coretta Scott King at the state capitol took a nasty turn Wednesday morning.

Angry when a house committee failed to take action on the proposal, Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam (D-Riverdale) compared the action to a recent controversial comment from radio talk shot host Don Imus.

"It's like calling Mrs. King a nappy headed (n-word)," said Salaam.

Salaam introduced a resolution this morning for a vote in the House Special Rules Committee to hang a portrait of Mrs. King in the capital next to the portrait of her husband, Martin Luther King Jr.

There was a motion to vote on the resolution, but no one on the committee seconded the motion. As a result, the resolution died.

Last week Imus called the members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos." He has apologized for the remark and was suspended for two weeks.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/11619853/detail.html

Before I post the story/link I just want to make it clear that Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam is BLACK.

ATLANTA -- The debate over a proposal to hang a portrait of Coretta Scott King at the state capitol took a nasty turn Wednesday morning.

Angry when a house committee failed to take action on the proposal, Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam (D-Riverdale) compared the action to a recent controversial comment from radio talk shot host Don Imus.

"It's like calling Mrs. King a nappy headed (n-word)," said Salaam.

Salaam introduced a resolution this morning for a vote in the House Special Rules Committee to hang a portrait of Mrs. King in the capital next to the portrait of her husband, Martin Luther King Jr.

There was a motion to vote on the resolution, but no one on the committee seconded the motion. As a result, the resolution died.

Last week Imus called the members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos." He has apologized for the remark and was suspended for two weeks.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/11619853/detail.html

Am I understanding that since the motion was not seconded, then that's akin to calling Mrs. King a "nappy headed n*****"? :confused:

hummm I wonder if that comment will get any media attention? I say no because it was made by an African American about another African American.:waitasec:

Am I understanding that since the motion was not seconded, then that's akin to calling Mrs. King a "nappy headed n*****"? :confused:

Yeah, I guess we "opressed" Mrs. King by not seconding the motion. Aren't we just horrible, us privileged white people?

Yeah, I guess we "opressed" Mrs. King by not seconding the motion. Aren't we just horrible, us privileged white people?

Can't win no matter what. Even keeping your mouth shut, as in this case, gets you an accusation of being racist.

What I can't wait to see is if Jackson/Sharpton will even acknowledge this and if so a) what their pathetic, lame excuse and defense will be and b) how this can be turned around and blamed on white people.

What I can't wait to see is if Jackson/Sharpton will even acknowledge this and if so a) what their pathetic, lame excuse and defense will be and b) how this can be turned around and blamed on white people.

They won't acknowledge anything that makes a black person look bad, unless as you said, somehow it can be twisted up and blamed on the whites.

They won't acknowledge anything that makes a black person look bad, unless as you said, somehow it can be twisted up and blamed on the whites.

Sad, but true. Although they really should have put her portrait up, IMHO. But you are right about those two, and the media.

DK,
I'm curious to know why you think her portrait should be put up?

Why not? It'd be appropriate next to her husbands, as she stood with him during many hardships and carried on his legacy quite well after his murder. I've always been a fan of Dr. King. It would have been nice for his wife's portrait to be next to his. I don't think not hanging it up called for the comment the respresentative made, however. :rolleyes:

Why not? It'd be appropriate next to her husbands, as she stood with him during many hardships and carried on his legacy quite well after his murder. I've always been a fan of Dr. King. It would have been nice for his wife's portrait to be next to his. I don't think not hanging it up called for the comment the respresentative made, however. :rolleyes:
I was just curious, that's a great reason....(But I'm sure behind every great man stood an equally great woman;))

Sounds like Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam is grasping at straws here. Boo hoo.

hummm I wonder if that comment will get any media attention? I say no because it was made by an African American about another African American.:waitasec:
Along those lines (kinda) is a story that happened recently at work...A white surgeon decided to bring in a Richard Pryor CD to listen to in surgery; He asked everyone in the room if anyone would be offended and everyone said it was ok. During some personnel changes one of the incoming folks was black and don't you know he was offended by the CD and even went to hospital admin!!!! Does this make any sense?????? The surgeon had to write apology letters to everyone in the room and no telling what else will come from this!!

I am checking out wsbtv.com, where I got this information to start with. There is NOTHING else being said about it.
Once again, it goes to show blacks can say whatever they please.

I am checking out wsbtv.com, where I got this information to start with. There is NOTHING else being said about it.

Actually anyone can say whatever they please. :D

Why not? It'd be appropriate next to her husbands, as she stood with him during many hardships and carried on his legacy quite well after his murder. I've always been a fan of Dr. King. It would have been nice for his wife's portrait to be next to his. I don't think not hanging it up called for the comment the representative made, however. :rolleyes:

Well said, DK. The representative's comment was unfortunate, to say the least, and does no service to anyone.

Why this required a separate thread, I have idea.

And apparently whites can grasp at any straw, no matter how remote and trivial, to fuel their imagined grievances.

A black man said something stupid. Quick! Stop the presses!

And apparently whites can grasp at any straw, no matter how remote and trivial, to fuel their imagined grievances.

A black man said something stupid. Quick! Stop the presses!

Actually, if you would have read the story, it was a black WOMAN.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back