Defense claims judge had inappropriate convo with blogger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blogger's name is Dave Knechel, who was questioned earlier this month by a private investigator working for the defense. He told the investigator that Strickland told him at the bench "what a great blog I have," according to the motion. At some point, Strickland learned that the blogger was ill and called to express his "personal concern" for the man's well-being, according to the motion.

No hearing date has been set yet

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...hony-judge-disqualify-20100416,0,174631.story

Just because JS reads the blog does not mean that he has a 'relationship' with the blogger. It isn't like he called a sitting juror...... Come on. I am guessing JS knows Marinade Dave in or from some other venue...... The defense must be nuts JS has bent over backwards to be fair and given Baez and his team every opportunity to be upstanding attornies. To me this just proves Baez is working overtime to dig up dirt on everyone on this case!

MOO

IMO, the judge should not be reading any blogs. At the very least he should not be acknowledging it. What am I missing here when it comes to justice and judge neutrality? Seriously, how stupid is that?

IMO, Honorable Judge Strickland has too much class and fairness to hold even this against Baez personally. I would rather think Baez IS doing his job in filing this, hopefully by doing it now it prevents the matter from coming up on appeal.

No matter where the good Judge reads he is smart enough to do his job with fairness and not take blogger opinion into consideration when making his decisions.

I don't think it is even an issue.
Just the Def going through the motions to represent their client.

Just my own opinion.

So they tried to get the prosecution removed and now the judge? Is it not time to start investigating Baez and his improprieties at the jail??

Judge Strickland has mentioned openly in court that he reads things and sees news (I could not even tell you which hearing it was, but I am sure I remember that).

MD has written quite a bit about how he gets harrassed for "supporting" the Anthony's, and I have personally read blog posts where he was more than careful about slinging around mud and rumor, more than "fair" in his interpretation of how the law should apply to KC...almost defending KC to the point where I was put off because I happen to loathe KC and I get annoyed when people side with her (I am allowed to loathe KC, I'm not going to be a juror).

I suppose Supreme Court Justices should not get to perform judicial review, since they certainly have conversations with lawmakers at D.C. functions-Sotomayor and Obama never related to one another on their political views? Puh-lease....Maybe Justice Thomas should be removed because he surely speaks with his wife, who has recently written a political opinion book.

Should anything cause the removal of JS anytime throughout this case, I will be praying that the replacement judge rivals Sheriff Arpaio.

I wish I could support your view, especially because I believe the perp murdered her child. But formally acknowledging a blogger (whether for or against the defendant) is insupportable, IMO.

I, for one, would never want a Judge or attorney that did not read the news to represent me or preside over a case where I was accused.

I would also never want Jurors who were clueless.

JMO

So true, but a part of me thinks they want Strickland gone because he HAS been lenient and fair and cautious HAS conducted the hearings to prevent grounds for appeals.

Maybe with another judge the defense thinks they would have a better chance for a mistrial or grounds for appeal ??? JMO

ETA: Oops, just saw your post, deedeeknowit ITA

Oh, that's okay, denjet. I'm glad someone else thinks so too.

OH good one! You are SO observant!
:woohoo:

They obviously still do not have a proof reader for their motions!

Maybe KC wasn't wearing her "sexy librarian" glasses when she signed the docs??????? Otherwise, her "paralegal training" would have likely caught that goof. Now.........my question.........CM notarized it.........Was he an actual jail visitor???? I'll be anxious to see.

And........it's not being snarky when I am regurgitating KC's own words.

IMO, the judge should not be reading any blogs. At the very least he should not be acknowledging it. What am I missing here when it comes to justice and judge neutrality? Seriously, how stupid is that?

DM writes about many things on his blog. Why does JB assume JS was reading anything about the case against KC? I would like JB to prove to the court that JS was praising DM about his opinions on the Princess KC case.

O/T but thanks for providing the links. I am ashamed to admit I mostly lurk, so I did not know how to do it. Much appreciated!

come_in.gif

Strickland is not the chief judge of that court. I suspect the chief might sit him down and say, "OK, maybe this isn't fair, but you did overstep your bounds somewhat, and it's not worth creating appeal issues. Let's assign this one to someone else."

When MD first wrote about Judge S. complimenting him, I wondered why the Judge would do that. It seems like everything has been done to make sure no one could cry foul at any point in the future -- and JS is no dummy. Maybe (just maybe) Judge Strickland wants OFF this case. He looked pretty fed up last court appearance.

O/T but thanks for providing the links. I am ashamed to admit I mostly lurk, so I did not know how to do it. Much appreciated!

With the page open that you want to link, go up to the web address (at the top where it says for example www.websleuths....click with your left mouse button til it gets highlighted. I use shortcuts: hold down Ctrl while you press C (Ctrl-C), then go to where you want to put the link, and hit Ctrl and V (Ctrl-V).

OK, now to the motion. What a ballsy move! That's ridiculous.

Marinade Dave covers a wide array of subjects on his blog. Judge Strickland's conversation can be heard on the video and Dave has discussed it on his website, he was flattered that JS had read it.. nothing in the conversation suggests he is following the KC case on there or is in any way 'inappropriate'

Does that mean JS can't read the Orlando Sentinel or watch B Sheaffer on TV either, or compliment a Journalist on a good story?
This idefense team is making a laughingstock of themselves. If they don't already, the population of Orlando is going to know how desperate they are with this motion..

He's the same one linked in the video in the other thread about Suburban Drive.

DM writes about many things on his blog. Why does JB assume JS was reading anything about the case against KC? I would like JB to prove to the court that JS was praising DM about his opinions on the Princess KC case.

This is so right; I have particularly enjoyed his horticultural/gardening videos. Really.

This is a very, very dumb move of Baez's. I shouldn't wonder if this isn't his client forcing him to do this, as she is such a legal expert now.

I remember that hearing well, Casey was wearing the sea green blouse and they were in a bigger court room. The pictures of Caylee's autopsy photos were discussed. I'll find the link if anyone wants it.

Why wait until now to file it? Doesn't make sense.

Dave's Blog is not for or against any side. He comments on the case as he sees it. In fact he has often been accused of being pro defense at times.

I wish someone could remove Baez from the case.

This motion sounds like it's coming from CM not JB.

Question - if the notary stamp is expired, how can the courts accept it?

Also, I would like to know if CM visited her today or she signed this week sometime and he just notarized the document without him seeing her face to face.

JB may not be a brainiac but he's no dummy.
Casey's defense team knows how capable, professional and competent Judge Strickland is and they don't want him running the courtroom during trial.
They would rather have someone more easily manipulated and whipped by the defense, of course.

Well, maybe, nahh I'm pretty sure he is a dummy. Sorry mods.

I wish I could support your view, especially because I believe the perp murdered her child. But acknowledging a blogger (whether for or against the defendant) is insupportable, IMO.

I get the general feeling of where you are coming from...My point is this-judges are not sequestered, or as another poster mentioned, they are not required to remain stupid to the world around them, it would be scary if they were-And for all we know, Judge Strickland was speaking about one of the many other topics Dave writes about on his site (he really does have some great marinade ideas). Judge S. did not mention KC, that I remember.

Judges take an oath to apply law (I hate it when people use the word interpret, it implies judges are supposed to make it up as they go). IMO, if they are going to remove any judge, it should be on the basis that they have either interpreted law to support their own moral views or ends (legislating from the bench, which Andrea Lyon actually asked Judge S. to do) or they have intentionally mis-applied law, which would actually be very easy to recognize-AZlawyer and the other attorneys here have yet to write that they have seen any mis-application of the law by Judge Strickland.

This motion sounds like it's coming from CM not JB.

Question - if the notary stamp is expired, how can the courts accept it?

Also, I would like to know if CM visited her today or she signed this week sometime and he just notarized the document without him seeing here face to face.

I brought up that same exact point a bit back. I'll be interested to see the answer.

As far as the stamp......if he is in fact current then it may end up being chalked up to picking up the wrong one from the drawer. I doubt it would create any real issue. They'd probably just fix it.

HEY! ISN'T MARINADE DAVE VERY PRO DEFENSE? HE SURE SEEMS IT TO ME!
wth is this all about!

He's not pro defense. If you listen to the Suburban Drive video and the comments about the mattress...haha. But he doesn't allow name calling and is sympathetic to the A's. He's not pro KC though.

I wish I could support your view, especially because I believe the perp murdered her child. But formally acknowledging a blogger (whether for or against the defendant) is insupportable, IMO.

So if he runs into Kathi Belich is he not allowed to read/watch her news reports or congratulate her on her fairness in reporting? Is that biased in some way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23