Defense FINALLY Begins Depo Process

Glad to see your thoughts on this. Thought I was the only one who thought RH's estimate of $100,000 for defense costs in this trial were extremely low.....

Well if her expenses are to be met by the State do they have to operate within a budget or just get an open check book to depose any and everyone they want, get expert opinions all over the place until they find one they agree with....?

I wanna give you all a little insight to Deposition costs. I just had a deposition take place for one of my cases last week. I just now got the bill for said SINGLE deposition. The entire total was $2,683.99.

And that was just for one single deposition. For only one day. Sometimes some depos can be taken over a period of days.

And the defense MUST take a deposition of every state witness. Their witness list is 100+. You do the math. The FL taxpayers are going to pay a lot for Casey's costs for her defense.

And don't even get me started about how much experts can cost ....

Why would a one day deposition for one person cost this much? I have no knowledge of how or why it cost more than a $5 recorder with a $2 tape inserted in it.. Then possibly paying someone to type the transcript...paper $4 ink $40.... Where the heck is all this money coming into play?
Can you break down what the costs are?

Why would a one day deposition for one person cost this much? I have no knowledge of how or why it cost more than a $5 recorder with a $2 tape inserted in it.. Then possibly paying someone to type the transcript...paper $4 ink $40.... Where the heck is all this money coming into play?

A deposition must be attended by a licensed court reporter. The time spent there as well as transcription will be a big part of it. I know a court reporter and they make over $60K a year working part time.

I can sure see why some states don't have the death penalty. We don't have it in Wisconsin.

Wow. A year and a half has passed. They'll be doing depos now. In all this time why haven't more been already done? Ridiculous!

Hear ya! My guess is JB's costs incurred have been "smoke and mirrors" and he has been busy using them.....instead of preparing his client a proper defense, one in her best interest, not his. JMO

I can sure see why some states don't have the death penalty. We don't have it in Wisconsin.

We flip-flop her in Cali, but it's a waste of time and money since we rarely execute. Most die of old age or end up with a commuted sentence down the road. Huge waste of taxpayers money. DP is no deterrant to capital offenses. Only swift justice does that and sadly we are not designed for it.

Does FL have automatic appeals in DP convictions like Cali does? I'm interested because can you imagine if the taxplayers of FL have to pay for KC defense and then if she gets DP they would have to pay for her appeal as well.....

Does anyone know (sorry if I missed it in the thread) when the depos are set? As opposed to when KC will be "ruled" indigent? Is that how it works? I'm wondering if the dates set are after a date where the official indigent status would take place. I'm sure you get my drift.

Well if her expenses are to be met by the State do they have to operate within a budget or just get an open check book to depose any and everyone they want, get expert opinions all over the place until they find one they agree with....?

Good question ZsaZsa....in my day in Cali criminal law if we declared our client indigent, or let me say, pulled a KC, IF we were approved, then we rec'd a fraction of our usual hourly rate, usually had a capped fee (which we had to project and explain in detail) plus we had to justify all costs.......

now those were the dark ages and I'm sure FL is different and probably Cali is now too, but I'm praying that there is structure and oversight in place because it will be taxpayer money.....

I say this too often, everyone is entitled to a defense, just not the best money can buy!

We flip-flop her in Cali, but it's a waste of time and money since we rarely execute. Most die of old age or end up with a commuted sentence down the road. Huge waste of taxpayers money. DP is no deterrant to capital offenses. Only swift justice does that and sadly we are not designed for it.

Does FL have automatic appeals in DP convictions like Cali does? I'm interested because can you imagine if the taxplayers of FL have to pay for KC defense and then if she gets DP they would have to pay for her appeal as well.....

Does anyone know (sorry if I missed it in the thread) when the depos are set? As opposed to when KC will be "ruled" indigent? Is that how it works? I'm wondering if the dates set are after a date where the official indigent status would take place. I'm sure you get my drift.

Nothing deters murderers, they have their own 'rules'. But the DP will work just fine for someone convicted of murder. Stops them from ever doing it again....:innocent: which is how it should be, IMO, and is the appropriate punishment.

I wish!!!

Actually the costs are primarily related to how quickly you want the transcript transcribed. Some agencies charge a large fee for expediting a transcript.

But basically you pay for everything. Each copy you request both certified and non. An ASCII disk, any pxt or txt files (to be used on programs such as LiveNote), rough copies (a copy before you get the official and final transcript), and reimbursements (like parking etc), exhibit marking, and all of this not including the hourly rate of a licensed court reporter.

Mind you this is just for the TRANSCRIPT. The price I included above does NOT include any videographer fees.

Yes, they will be monitored and will need to be approved. But there will be NO limitation on how many witnesses she will get to depose from the states witness list. Such a limitation would impede her ability to properly defend herself.

And she will be limited to WHERE her experts come from. Which is both bad and good. When her experts are cross examined and it's revealed how much they were paid for their testimony there isn't as much ulterior motive that can be used against them if they had been otherwise been paid big huge bucks for their testimony.

A court reporter actually types the deposition and later it has to be transcribed. The reporters type in code and must attend classes to learn how to do this as the words are not entirely typed out. Once it is transcribed you can read it. Not everyone is can do this type of work that is why they are paid well.

I had no idea depositions were that expensive, the more witnesses to depose, the higher the cost, I guess. It's pathetic that Jose knew long ago, these depos would need to be taken, and has waisted the time and money (he received for Caylee's pictures) for what ? If he's trying for most hated lawyer in America, he's not far off from that reaching the reality.

Geragos and OJ's dream team used to be at the top of my list (for most dislikeable atty's), they have been surpassed by Jose and Co.

Wow. A year and a half has passed. They'll be doing depos now. In all this time why haven't more been already done? Ridiculous!

I just posted this on another thread: And I'm sorry to yell, But THIS NEW TRIAL DATE MAKES ME SICK!!!

If JB hadn't spent so much of this time the first year doing interviews on tv....ie., Geraldo, etc.......alot more could have been done in the way of depositions, reading material already turned over by the defense, etc.

JMO

I think it was a smart move by the defense to wait on these depo's until the SA turned over all discovery. They can do depo's now knowing everything the state knows. Moreover, they can have the state pay for it. Probably Al's doing. It may be as simple as they just didn't have the money to do the depo's in the past. Now it begins, they have deposed 3 investigators as of today. IMO

http://www.wesh.com/news/22786842/detail.html

I think it was a smart move by the defense to wait on these depo's until the SA turned over all discovery. They can do depo's now knowing everything the state knows. Moreover, they can have the state pay for it. Probably Al's doing. It may be as simple as they just didn't have the money to do the depo's in the past. Now it begins, they have deposed 3 investigators as of today. IMO

But will the State of Florida have to pay for these latest depositions since there has been no ruling on whether or not Casey is indigent? Why would we (I'm a Floridian) have to pay for depositions taken prior to Casey being declared indigent?

They couldn't do depos with 110 thousand dollars? On what planet?

A court reporter actually types the deposition and later it has to be transcribed. The reporters type in code and must attend classes to learn how to do this as the words are not entirely typed out. Once it is transcribed you can read it. Not everyone is can do this type of work that is why they are paid well.

..thankyou for that info. i always wondered how they could keep up!
( especially when CA gets on a roll ! blah blah blah blah......)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back