Denmark - Camilla Steinaa, 25, North Zealand, 1 January 1987

<modsnip: Referenced post was modsnipped>

No, it’s most likely not the same girl. I would think they are already compared scientificaly... unfortunately I don’t think Denmark or Norway have a puplic system like Namus, where anyone can view compared UI and missing persons.
However, stranger thinks have happened in this ‘bizz’ so I don’t think your opening comment is fair.

I agree, I don’t think they are one person, but I really appreciate any word and breath from all the people on this site to keep these cases alive. And I mean that in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Referenced post was modsnipped>
If you reread, you may note many of us have put ideas out quite some time ago, discussed the pros and cons, possibility for errors, and left things as they were.

Meanwhile, you're coming in hot.

<modsnip>
As for Camilla, I haven't studied the case in too much detail, but the extreme lifestyle change is probably the biggest clue here. Going from punk rocker to pious traditionalist tells me she probably just made the decision to drop off the radar by choice. I suppose she could have met with foul play on her long journey to this alleged organic farm/commune in Jutland, but if she didn't get murdered, suffer an accident, or commit suicide the most logical choice left is just disappearing to start a different life somewhere in the sticks with her new family. Happens all the time. I read that both her parents were dead and that caused the delay in reporting her missing to the police. Very little family ties is a perfect candidate for joining a cult/commune scenario to me. No tv, no radio, no newspapers to even acknowledge people were looking for her back then. Just speculation. I would check convents too.

Found this mention of Camilla's unclaimed inheritance in an article published in 2010. There is an error in the piece--it notes she disappeared at age 20??--but it is interesting, and shows a picture of the home she rented in Hornbaek:

Ingen spor: Kvinde forsvundet på 20. år
Crossposting from JF's thread and bbm.

The article doesn't mention her age; the "20." in the headline (and article) translates as "20th", as in number of years passed since Camilla vanished* when the article was posted, not her age at the time she disappeared.

*it'actually number of years the authorities have held on to her inheritance and trying to get a hold of her so that she could claim it.
Juridical stuff.

Thanks for the clarification. I noticed mention of her disappearing at 23 as well, in another source, but that one seemed a tabloid. I ran it through Google translate to double check, but I guess not always accurate?

The article was from 2010, and Camilla vanished in 1986 or 1987. So...it must have been reposted in 2017 or something? It was the first mention I recall of her inheritance, but it may have been noted in the television special about her as well.

Hej!

Looking at all the details here I don't really think she killed herself. My opinion is that she just disappeared, and was disillusioned with her current life. I think she spent some time at the commune in Jutland, and figured she'd prefer a quiet life. Denmark is really pretty safe, I don't think she'd meet with harm from some random person. Could be worth seeing if anybody living in Christiania (Freetown of Copenhagnen - Hippy place) has seen anybody looking like her hanging around or living there at some point. Even then, I'm not sure if it would be ethical to look. I really do think that there is solid chance that she is living a quiet life somewhere, in Denmark somewhere else in Europe where you don't need a passport to travel around. Thanks @Malene and @mrs.badcrumble for all the awesome work you two have done on this! Great write-ups and details! Creepily enough, Camilla looks like my Mom...a lot!

I chatted with a friend in my industry who is Danish and has spent a lot of time vacationing on the Jutland Peninsula. He said there's no end to remote rustic places someone could disappear to if they did not wish to be found. She wasn't just some party girl who grew out of her wild teens, she did a complete 180 at age 22/23 and started wearing traditional Danish clothing, shoes, braiding her hair etc. Could be a severe mental breakdown, but I think the most logical scenario is that she just opted for a simpler life. It doesn't seem that she had any real close family left that would prevent her from severing ties. I do know religious cults prey on women like this. No idea if this "organic farm" was in that category, but it wouldn't shock me.

Re: "It doesn't seem that she had any real close family left that would prevent her from severing ties"

Hmmm....I disagree. From the video clips earlier in thread, Camilla's brother and his family have been actively looking for her. It seems her brother still cares very much. *She may have felt differently, of course.

Re: "It doesn't seem that she had any real close family left that would prevent her from severing ties"

Hmmm....I disagree. From the video clips earlier in thread, Camilla's brother and his family have been actively looking for her. It seems her brother still cares very much. *She may have felt differently, of course.

Then why was she not reported missing in a timely manner? From what I read her disappearance was not reported for at least a month. That does not sound like a close relationship with her siblings to me.

Well, I would disagree with you on that as well. Adult siblings, leading different lifestyles could be out of touch for a few weeks, and still be considered close/caring.

I think this would be especially true in the late 80s when Camilla disappeared. Cellphones, e-mail, social media and all of the ways we are now accustomed to being instantly connected with everyone we know, would not have played a role. I used to go a few weeks at a time without speaking to my siblings when doing so meant writing a letter, traveling a few hours or planning a call around long distance rates.

It is my understanding Camilla's sister reported her missing, and her brother was the last family member who actually saw her. Does that match what you have read? I have seen a few different dates, and explanations given pointed towards her age. Which is also what many are saying here. i.e. She is an adult, so she is free to go start a new life and cut ties if she wishes.

I've been meaning to write on Camilla's thread for a while, and kinda address my observations in post #2 and the consequences of that post.

It's been super weird seeing this theory getting so much attention, not only here on WS, but also on other forums and platforms. It's been even more frustrating seeing how a "journalist" in a well-known tabloid newspaper claimed to have found an image of "Jennifer" alive, not bothering to research said image a little further, turning this into an Escherian labyrinth of mistaken confusion (seriously, tho.. A simple Google search would've told them that it was Camilla, not an alive JF).

I swear, my eyes have been rolling so hard at times I've thought they might never roll back to normal again :rolleyes:

Strangely enough, both Camilla and "Jennifer" help each other getting exposure on their respective cases when people are Googling them, so I guess there's also a silver lining in all of this. I'm also certain if I hadn't been the one noticing the similarity between the two, someone else would have, but please: Unless we're told otherwise from credible sources, the image is of Camilla, not JF!

Simply theory, a passing thought here, but I wonder if Camilla and JF could be distant cousins? I know this sounds a bit out there, but I've been working on my family tree quite a bit this past year or two, and I'm often surprised by how much resemblance I have found between close family members, and then say a random cousin who is a 3rd, 5th or so on. I was scanning my own DNA matches on one of the sites recently and found a 4th-6th cousin who could be my twin. Everyone in my family and circle of friends on social media had a good laugh, and I immediately messaged the cousin to express my shock. You never know....

Or mor likely, JF may be Danish, Danish American, etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back