Dental surgery in Wales bans heavy patients

zwiebel

Reaction score
Maendy dental surgery in Aberdare, Wales, UK has imposed a weight limit of 20 stone (280 pounds) on patients. Those above that level are being advised to visit one of the UK's hard-pressed hospitals for treatment instead. The surgery is close to the home of Georgia Davies, reputed to be the UK's heaviest teen.

Although the dental practice provides free, taxpayer-funded National Health Service (NHS) care, it says its dental chairs aren't designed to take heavy weights and won't move properly so treatment is too dangerous for staff. Every patient has been sent a letter warning them they won't be treated if they exceed the weight limit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ients-weighing-20-stone-case-break-chair.html

(I suspect this is simply an issue of cost. There are plenty of chairs like this one, designed to take weights up to 71 stone/1000 pounds/445kgs, but the higher weightload comes with a higher price.)

http://www.dentalchair.co.uk/

but if it was just about cost, they could just charge heavier patients more?

I would think that receiving any procedures in hospital would be a good thing. Obesity increases risk. If I were to arrest, I would have a better chance of recovery in a hospital rather than in a dental surgery where CPR is needed once in a blue moon

but if it was just about cost, they could just charge heavier patients more?

If they are NHS patients, treatment is either free or the (highly subsidized) charges are set by the government and can't be changed. Because of that, many, many dentists in England have turned to private patients only, with the exception of children.

Heavyweight people who can't afford to go private are likely to encounter huge problems finding another dentist anywhere near them who accepts NHS patients. Unlike all state-run hospitals where all treatment is free and falls under the NHS, dentists get to choose who they treat.

I would think that receiving any procedures in hospital would be a good thing. Obesity increases risk. If I were to arrest, I would have a better chance of recovery in a hospital rather than in a dental surgery where CPR is needed once in a blue moon

I don't think hospitals are set up for routine dentistry such as cleaning and small fillings. I just can't imagine they'll accept someone who needs a filling replaced. These poor people are going to be left with nowhere to go.

I think increased weight leads to increased incidence of diabetes? And I know that can lead to increased gum disease and oral health problems. So it seems to me, the patients who most need treatment are going to be denied it. It's very sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back