Deposition: Michael Vincent, CSI

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by Amil, Mar 21, 2011.

1. strach304

strach304 New Member

Michael Vincent did the test from the instructions he was given. Way back, long time ago there was discovery released about all of this. Dr. Vass was very upset about the leaks to media because he had not concluded his work. I remember an email that Vincent is asking Dr. Vass about how to do the testing. A lot of posters were unhappy about MV doing the tests because in the email he sounded like he didn't know what he was doing or at least that's the impression some people got.

2. strach304

strach304 New Member

Just like Detective Grogan said at Scott Petersons trial...the evidence always went back to Scott. The 40 point list gone over and every time it was Scott. He could never clear him. I believe YM and JA will say something similar in this case. They followed the evidence. No big loss imo if they don't get the air samples in. There's just so much evidence in this case with some things harder to dispute than others.

3. lowens1975

lowens1975 New Member

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's more than likely a duck. In this case, everyone seems to agree it smelled like a dead body. This guy has been around 30 or 40. I think he qualifies as knowing what one smells like.

4. strawberry

strawberry Well-Known Member

Right...CA, GA, OSCO, CSI, cadaver dogs ALL say it smelled like a dead body. But I'm sure it was just garbage. :crazy:

5. Caligram

Caligram New Member

I'll take everyone's work for it that once you smell human decomposition you never forget the odor. I think JB needs to be reminded that "death is different".

6. Caligram

Caligram New Member

I wonder if Tony was asked if he could identify any of the items which were in that garbage bag ICA took from his house. And: Who ate that last slice of pizza?

7. Paintr

Paintr New Member

Thank you kindly for the info, strach. I didn't realize that Vincent actually did the tests. I missed that. I thought that the expert from the Body Farm travelled to Florida.

8. Oakley

Oakley New Member

Simon Birch too. Even Casey admitted there was a death smell.

9. strach304

strach304 New Member

If it was for the truth of the matter my money is on the dogs. They don't lie.

10. seeing_eye

seeing_eye New Member

My money's on the dogs too. You can't hardly get them to lie.

11. darnudes

darnudes Inactive

Agree totally but in trying to understand Baez's line of questioning I was putting myself in his shoes and I believe this is the motivating factor behind his "unusual" questions as to who paid/who contacted Dr Vass, as per the deposition.

What I wrote above in my earlier post is not my opinion of the facts but what I believe Baez is going to present at trial.

12. darnudes

darnudes Inactive

I remember talking about this ages ago and wondered if the jury would be allowed to smell the car, I'm sure that would end the "car smells like rotting pizza debate" once and for all - would also be a slam dunk for the State - because I bet that car still smells horrendous.

13. lowens1975

lowens1975 New Member

OT: I smelled it one time when my husband and I were dating. He was a LEO (26 years) and pointed it out to me when we walked past an apartment. Sometimes he'd come home in the middle of shift and take a shower after he found a DB. lol! The second time was at work, for me, we discovered a body in a condo that had been in there for four days in the hot sun, and yeah, GARBAGE. Loads of it. The police wanted me to go in and look for myself, I just asked for a copy of the report. I went to my office and called in a biohazard team.

14. strawberry

Wouldn't that be great if they had the dogs testify in court? Keep garbage in a controlled hot environment for 30 days, have a decomp sample and ask the dog to choose.:rocker:

15. strawberry

Here is a link to the thread with the emails between Dr. Vass and the CSI:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156"]2009.08.07 Emails between Oak Ridge and OCSO - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

16. Aedrys

Aedrys If justice doesn't get you, karma will.

No kidding. He's way more an expert than a certain nurse of decompostion, and even she said it "smelled like there's a damn dead body in the car." I about fell over when he said how many he'd smelled. Lord, that is probably burned permanently in his brain. Yet Baez kept pushing like smelling thirty to forty dead bodies just isn't enough to know the smell of decomp. Jeebus.

17. nyvictoria

nyvictoria Well-Known Member

I hope the air samples come in. The poor squirrel, who miraculously crawled up into Casey's car and got "plastered to the frame" is eliminated as a source by the air samples, as is pizza. Nice try, Casey! If they don't come in, the jury will hear the words of Cindy, George and Lee and the testimony of every LE professional who came in contact with the car. I hope the jury is allowed to see/smell the car but I have a feeling they won't.

Even if you have no idea what decomposition smells like, you instinctively recognize it and know it's decomp when you smell it for the first time. You innately know it's not garbage, it's not rotting lunch meat and it's for damned sure not pizza!! It must be something deep in our collective memory.

18. lowens1975

lowens1975 New Member

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't really don't understand why this is a 'Frye' issue. Dogs have been used for decades to follow scent trails, search and rescue, hunting, etc., why all of the sudden is this 'idea' new?

19. krimekat

krimekat Amazed and Baffled

Didn't we determine over 2 yrs ago that 3-week old pizza dries up & has no smell? I remember performing this experiment . . . didn't have the dead body to compare to, though.

Garbage smell v death smell = no comparison

20. LambChop

LambChop Former Member

In CA's words, absolutely. IMO I'm just pointing out why I don't think those arguments if presented by JB would work. But you are right. They are willing to try just about anything.

I think it is very important to find out when these experts were hired/contacted and if they were paid by JB initially, since JB claims that the remainder of the money from the pictures was spent on experts and investigations. Does not appear to be so. jmo