Desert pictures

Discussion in 'Alcala and the Unidentified' started by Billylee, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Billylee

Billylee New Member

This photo shows a car and then a few cars in an upper parking lot. Any of you car enthusiasts know what year this car or any others might be?

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. HockeyGirl

HockeyGirl New Member

I'm on my brother's less than great PC, so I can't enlarge it at the moment, but at first glance it looks alot like a 67 Chevy.

[​IMG]

4. Bargle

Bargle Member

I'm probably going to sound like a car geek, but here goes.
    On the blue car, the roofline is distinctive. It was only used by GM during the '65 and '66 model years. It was only used on full size 2 door models and even then, as far as I can tell, only on Chevy and Olds models. The trunk lid appears to come to a point and the tail lights look to be set into the end of the fender vertically. That eliminates the Chevys, which were straight across at the trunk and had the tail lights arranged horizontally. Looking at pictures of Olds full sizes for the 2 years, the only ones I found to have the same tail light arrangement were the 1965 Delta 88 and the 1965 Starfire. Links to pics below.
    Delta 88
    http://www.hurricaneimports.com/images/green-65-delta3.jpg

Starfire
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/76378061_68d73e90fa.jpg

The lime green car in the pic, I think, is a VW Beetle. Hard to certain with the picture so blurry. The other one has so much chopped off, I have no idea.

5. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I agree on both counts. I was guessing the blue car to be a Cutlass, but you're right, the taillights are wrong. The yellow/green car is definitely a Beetle.

6. carbuff

Some of those dusty sagebrush photos with the junk cars in the background look like South Pass, Wyoming, though I suppose they could be anywhere in the dry part of the mountain West.

7. carbuff

Last one for tonight. I think these three go together, though I don't have any suggestion as to who the two women might be. The background looks very much like a place I visited in Wyoming years ago, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

There are a couple of women missing from that area in the right time frame. Carlene Brown and Christy Gross, both 19 at the time, went missing from a rodeo in Rawlins in 1974. Christy's body was found a few miles away almost 10 years later; Carlene has never been found. I couldn't find a picture of Christy anywhere, but I'm attaching Carlene.

Attached Files:

8. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

As y'all are looking, remember that the east side of California is mostly desert. There are many many desert areas near the Los Angeles basin if you go east, without ever hitting Las Vegas. Those desert shots could be the Yucca Valley area just as easily as they could be taken in Vegas. I'd hate anyone to overlook the California database because they are taken in the desert. :blowkiss:

I've reviewed many of the pics since I know a lot of people in California, but I can't seem to get them all to continue loading from the media site. Is there another link to try? TIA.

9. smart blonde

smart blonde Websleuths Member

Thank you, Kimster... I was going to say the same thing- the lower eastern part of Southern California is mostly desert, just like in the pictures.

The desert backgrounds could be in Death Valley, Joshua Tree, 29 Palms, Palm Springs, even Barstow, and their surrounding areas.

10. carbuff

Yes, good point, it certainly could be, but the vegetation's often different, and California desert tends to be more rugged, less flat. Also tend to be more tan or beige and less of the stark alkali-laden white. I don't think any of the pictures have enough detail to make a positive identification. We should look for women missing from any desert area, even down into Mexico.

11. Bargle

Bargle Member

12. Billylee

Billylee New Member

Maybe it's just me, but these pictures look like they're from a beach to me. Not the desert. There are beach chairs in the picture and the girls are putting their shoes back on like they just came up from walking barefoot along the beach. Also, this picture from the Seattle connection goes with it, which clearly shows a male figure with a towel heading down to the beach. So I think they're in the sand dunes above a beach, anyone else? Does anyone recognize this beach?

Attached Files:

13. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

14. carbuff

I wouldn't say sand dunes -- more like a rocky, dusty cliff.

Beaches can be at lakes or reservoirs as well as the ocean. The vegetation in the picture that includes the parking lot doesn't look like oceanside vegetation, either east coast or west.

15. smart blonde

smart blonde Websleuths Member

Yes, and I believe that one of the pictures in this 'series' clearly shows what looks to be a lake in the background. (The picture with the female in the blue shirt in the forefront).

16. Billylee

Billylee New Member

There are pictures taken both at beaches and lakes in this collection. I guess it's just me, the steps actually remind of a beach I've been to, where we had to park up above and then take the steps down, but I can't put my finger on it.

17. Sleuthster

Sleuthster Well-Known Member

They do look alike

18. Montanagirl

Montanagirl New Member

There are a number of beach accesses similar to these steps in southern California. I used to spend my summers near San Diego and there were some access points that had parking above the beach. As most of the beach front in California is privately owned (not the actual beach, but the property leading up to high tide or was in the 1970s I believe) , you had to access the beach in public access points. Torrey Pines near Del Mar, has (or had) and parking lot across from the beach. It wasn't on a cliff, but you had to cross the road to get to the beach. They have places like this in Oregon where you have to climb down to the beach too.

19. RubyRed

RubyRed "Keep on Truckin"

20. JoeFromLB

JoeFromLB Active Member

The woman sitting on the ground looks like Carlene.
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2217dfwy.html

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. JoeFromLB

JoeFromLB Active Member