Diahann Carroll, first black woman star in nonservant TV role, dead at 84

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Oct 4, 2019.

1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Diahann Carroll, first black woman to star in nonservant role in TV series, dies at 84

Carroll was the star of "Julia," which ran for 86 episodes on NBC from 1968 to 1971.

Pioneering and Oscar-nominated actress Diahann Carroll, who broke network television's color line, died Friday after a bout with cancer, her daughter said.

She was 84.

"Carroll was a consummate entertainer and beloved icon whose career spanned nearly seven decades," her daughter, Suzanne Kay, said in a statement. "She paved the way for many and never allowed anyone to limit or define her."...

2. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Diahann Carroll, Oscar-nominated, pioneering actress, dies

New York – Diahann Carroll, the Oscar-nominated actress and singer who won critical acclaim as the first black woman to star in a non-servant role in a TV series as “Julia,” has died. She was 84.

Diahann Carroll speaking at the 2007 Crystal and Lucy Awards in Beverly Hills, Calif. Carroll died, Friday, Oct. 4, 2019, at her home in Los Angeles after a long bout with cancer. She was 84.

Carroll’s daughter, Susan Kay, told The Associated Press her mother died Friday in Los Angeles of cancer.

During her long career, Carroll earned a Tony Award for the musical “No Strings” and an Academy Award nomination for best actress for “Claudine.”...

3. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

RIP Ms Carroll. She was a beautiful woman and a very good actress. Loved her tv show when I was a kid. She was a real pioneer and helped break down some barriers. Within a few short years after "Julia", there were so many tv shows starring black actors and actresses.

4. fred&edna

fred&edna Out On A Limb

I feel the same. And, have same childhood memories. I recently saw an episode of an even older TV show (name escapes me) her character was a teacher at a school for the blind (and she was perfect playing the part).

5. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

This is very sad news it is terrible Diahann had a long cancer battle. I have only seen Ms. Carroll play her character in Dynasty but she was a very good actress in it. Joan Collins posted a couple of very nice tributes to Diahann on her social media she said she was a kind person and nice to work with on Dynasty. May Ms. Diahann Carroll Rest In Peace.

6. charminglane

charminglane Helcat!

I had the Julia doll!

fred&edna, Alice253, thordis and 3 others like this.
  7. faerieskye

faerieskye Member

That was a gorgeous and supremely talented woman. Rest in Power, queen.

fred&edna likes this.