Did Ariel Leave the Door Open on Purpose?

Did Ariel Leave the Door Open on Purpose?

• Yes, he wanted to get caught.

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • No, he was testing the girls.

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • No, he just messed up.

Votes: 239 91.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The house was in foreclosure and this story was going to end in a few months one way or another anyway.

Thankfully the ending wasn't five bodies in an empty house, which is probably what would have happened if Amanda hadn't busted out.

The house was in foreclosure and this story was going to end in a few months one way or another anyway.

Thankfully the ending wasn't five bodies in an empty house, which is probably what would have happened if Amanda hadn't busted out.

I know of a situation where a house was actually posted as a sheriff's sale a few years ago (saw listing with my own eyes).. House never sold; people still live there. I do not know the circumstances of why it was put up for sheriff's sale nor have I seen documents having to do with AC's foreclosure & if he could stop it.

I'm thankful Amanda chose to act. I don't want to think how it could have ended.

No he didn't leave the door unlocked on purpose, or he would have left the storm door unlocked as well.

eta: he would have let them go and blown his brains out or went into hiding elsewhere.

I don't think he left it open on purpose.

I think I read that he only enters and exits thought the back door? So I think he would have the assumption that it was always locked. He would have opened it for the neighbour bringing the mail, locked the storm door and probably walked away, relieved that the interaction was over.

I think the neighbour caught him off guard and he wanted that storm door shut and locked and soon as possible and just plain forgot about the other door. I think I also read that when people came to the door he would make them wait outside for an hour before letting them in. Obviously to silence the girls before allowing visitors in. Opening the door to an impromptu visit from the neighbours probably threw him right off.

:thumb:Bingo. Thats got to be it. He just forgot to lock the the door back up after Charles Ramsey dropped off his mail. Probably the first time that happened in ten years. He would have never deliberately left it unlocked like that. He probably had the door chained so he could open it just a few inches, so he could talk to anyone who came to the door, receive mail and packages, and stuff like that.

Charles gave AC the mail before AC even went into the house just after 3 pm. AC was not in the house so the door would not have even been opened for Ramsey.

Charles gave AC the mail before AC even went into the house just after 3 pm. AC was not in the house so the door would not have even been opened for Ramsey.

Do you have a link for that? I'm wondering where he would have given him the mail then. It seems logical that if he brought Castro his mail he would knock on the front door. Especially since Castro only used his back door. Ramsey probably wouldn't have tried to give him his mail back there.

The next question would be. How did the front door which he generally didn't use, get unlocked that day?

I think Amanda if not the other two, had too many years in their torture chamber not to notice noises they became use to, like a door locking. Routine noises. Amanda heard him forget to lock the door. Amazing to get out of there if it was never investiged fully if that much at all. The sound, if you have good hearing, told her he didn't lock that door.

I'm so glad they are safe and away from that monster. Now to punish him for his crimes.

Sad to hear Michelle isn't with family but she does need space. She was treated just horribly as was Gina and I'm sure Amanda was tortured even more. AB got closer to him because of the little one. She had more power over him than anyone. She listened to door locks and made her way out or just thought to check it and maybe always did when he left if she had any kind of freedom? At least that's how I see it. Her instinct led her and the others to freedom. This dude is one sick mf. jmo

I know of a situation where a house was actually posted as a sheriff's sale a few years ago (saw listing with my own eyes).. House never sold; people still live there. I do not know the circumstances of why it was put up for sheriff's sale nor have I seen documents having to do with AC's foreclosure & if he could stop it.

I'm thankful Amanda chose to act. I don't want to think how it could have ended.

That is not what usually happens though, and he would have no way of knowing that it would.

When the due date came up he would have acted to pre-empt the discovery that would have come with foreclosure.

There is no way he would have just let them go, so he probably would have killed all of them, then himself, when the time came.

I think Amanda if not the other two, had too many years in their torture chamber not to notice noises they became use to, like a door locking. Routine noises. Amanda heard him forget to lock the door. Amazing to get out of there if it was never investiged fully if that much at all. The sound, if you have good hearing, told her he didn't lock that door.

I'm so glad they are safe and away from that monster. Now to punish him for his crimes.

Sad to hear Michelle isn't with family but she does need space. She was treated just horribly as was Gina and I'm sure Amanda was tortured even more. AB got closer to him because of the little one. She had more power over him than anyone. She listened to door locks and made her way out or just thought to check it and maybe always did when he left if she had any kind of freedom? At least that's how I see it. Her instinct led her and the others to freedom. This dude is one sick mf. jmo

More likely she had more freedom of motion within the house due to having to look after the child. So, if he left the inside door open she would have noticed, then jumped when the opportunity presented itself.

I am curious why she couldn't have just opened the outside door herself. The way locks work, there is usually a latch on the inside, not a keyhole (that is on the outside). Unless there are two locks on the door, one inside and one outside, neither with latches, and he used one or the other depending on which side of the door he was. That is an odd setup though, and you would think that someone would have noticed.

More likely she had more freedom of motion within the house due to having to look after the child. So, if he left the inside door open she would have noticed, then jumped when the opportunity presented itself.

I am curious why she couldn't have just opened the outside door herself. The way locks work, there is usually a latch on the inside, not a keyhole (that is on the outside). Unless there are two locks on the door, one inside and one outside, neither with latches, and he used one or the other depending on which side of the door he was. That is an odd setup though, and you would think that someone would have noticed.

It obviously wasn't that easy. The storm door was chained shut. When the police arrived, they had to jam 2 by 4s into to the door to break the chain, in order to gain entry.

Castro never used that door. He only used the back door. Which he apparently locked as usual.

So the real question is how did the inside front door get unlocked that day?

Do you have a link for that? I'm wondering where he would have given him the mail then. It seems logical that if he brought Castro his mail he would knock on the front door. Especially since Castro only used his back door. Ramsey probably wouldn't have tried to give him his mail back there.

The next question would be. How did the front door which he generally didn't use, get unlocked that day?

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/07/transcript-video-charles-ramsey-ac360-exclusive-invu/

COOPER: So yesterday, what happened?

RAMSEY: I'm going to tell it all. Around 3:00, I was on my porch and the mailman put his mail in my mail. I looked at it like here's his mail when he come home. Couple of minutes later, he pulled up. He checked the mailbox, grabbed his paper. Before he went in the house, I said Ariel, here goes your mail. We just had the same conversation when I hand him the mail. He said, they can't get it right. I said, damn postal service. That's it.

I think if he wanted to let them go- it would have been obvious. Like he drives them all to the country and kicks them out of the van. That way, at least he would have a chance of getting away with it (if he lived quietly in another city or left the country).
I think it was a pure happy accident. Perhaps he occasionally forgot to lock up but the girls hadn't discovered it prior.

I read somewhere that Amanda was afraid he was testing them because he had done that before and he did it to his wife before beating her.

http://chicagoist.com/2013/05/14/ariel_castro_under_suicide_watch_fl.php

WEWS reports Castro “is not allowed to receive personal visitors, make telephone calls or receive outside mail,” although he has been visited by Cleveland police detectives investigating the case, his attorneys, and the jail nurse, who checks his blood sugar regularly.

BBM: Maybe his blood sugar was low, he wasn't thinking clearly and forgot to lock the door? :dunno:

Would it mean more than one door was left unlocked? Weren't the girls normally locked in rooms as well as the main door?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is suggested that when they make a mistake they DO want to be caught.
But I voted no because I think that after that long their arrogance gets the best of them. I think he was just daring them so he can come in and terrorize them. he is evil. far more then we know. He acted so normal that nobody saw any signs of insanity.
I also think the brother knew plenty and also had a better act then Hollywood.

That brave young mom… she wanted more for her child and it gave her the courage to go for it.
Bless her heart, bless them all.
I wish him a fate worse than the 10 years these poor girls had.

I firmly believe that Ariel got complacent like most criminal's if they keep doing it long enough they will finally make that fatal mistake, and thank God he did. Why so long? only God Knows. The reason I feel he had no intention of wanting to be caught is the fact he pleaded not guilty,and from the NEWS he happen's to have some of the best legal counsel you can get. In my opinion if he felt any kind of remorse he would have said yes I'm guilty and I deserve to be punish for these terrible crimes I have committed. I also believe there's were more victims then these girls that fell prey to this mad man.

Would it mean more than one door was left unlocked? Weren't the girls normally locked in rooms as well as the main door?

It appears that after he moved them from the basement to the second floor, he relied mostly on fear and intimidation to keep them from trying to escape. Rather then locked doors.

It appears that after he moved them from the basement to the second floor, he relied mostly on fear and intimidation to keep them from trying to escape. Rather then locked doors.

I agree. I also don't think any of them had "stockholm" syndrome. Amanda called the police, and the other two girls were reportedly very happy when police showed up. So it appears they were terrified of him. I think every time he left, they were all scared he was "testing" them.

I heard both that the storm door was chained so that it couldn't be opened, and that Amanda was afraid to open it in case he was testing them, so she called for help. It makes me wonder if he'd screwed up before, and there were missed opportunities, or if this was really the first chance they got. I find it hard to believe that this was their first real chance in 10 years, but I do find it easy to believe that they were too afraid to take potential opportunities before this, considering he beat them if they tried to escape.

As for whether he left it unlocked on purpose, I don't know. If he did, I don't think he did it consciously. Subconsciously, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla