Did the jury get it wrong, or...

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by wvjules, Jul 5, 2011.

?

Did the jury get it wrong?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2011.
  1. The jury got it wrong

1,051 vote(s)
    81.9%
  2. The state didn't prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt

179 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. The Defense provided reasonable doubt and the jury got it right

55 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Other

31 vote(s)
    2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gladiatorqueen

gladiatorqueen New Member

It wasn't an accusation, it was a question based on your inference that people who serve on juries succumb to dreaming about getting home to their Big Macs and online games. I just wanted clarification as to whether that is something you would find yourself doing since you have suggested that is what most people on juries are susceptible to doing. I think it was a fair question and I apologize if you took offense to it.

2. BeenaBobba

BeenaBobba Vincit omnia veritas!

Don't you think that being underwater and otherwise exposed to the elements for six months could and probably would wash all of that away? The duct tape was in pretty rough shape when the remains were found.

3. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

Beenabobba, how I wish you would have been on this jury! Great post.

4. Solange82200

Solange82200 New Member

What???? No evidence that put Casey with Caylee??? She is a 2 year old!!! If not with a babysitter or with her grandparents, she was with her mother!!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous! George went to work early in the afternoon, did he take Caylee with him? No, it was Casey's child, of course she was with her! There is no common sense in the justice system anymore, this isnt a game of Clue, its real life. They made a huge mistake, and as much as we stress the importance of reasonable doubt, I think we should remind jurors of the importance of keeping dangerous people off the streets and the consequences that have. They seem to think a Not Guilty verdict is the easy way to make sure you arent responsible for anything bad happening to someone, but someone should remind them something bad could happen to someone based on a Not Guilty verdict. That someone is Casey's next child or victim.

5. Sjoseph316

Sjoseph316 Member

The jury got it wrong big time. I also thing the defense confused them and they didn't know the difference between reasonable doubt and no doubt at all. But we have the best criminal justice system in the world right? HAHA, yeah right, maybe we have the best in the world because there aren't very many other systems in the world so it's very easy to say ours is the best. In some countries Casey would already be dead right now by hanging, firing squad or maybe even thrown into a swamp of alligators or something, which would be very fitting for her.

6. Solange82200

Solange82200 New Member

I think they confused emotion with common sense. It is unreasonable I think to assume that everyone thinks she is guilty based on emotion. And I think taking out too much emotion is a bad thing. It's the murder of a child, a serious crime. Because of emotion, should we pretend its the same as shoplifting a candy bar?

7. BeenaBobba

BeenaBobba Vincit omnia veritas!

Yes, she probably would be, but so would truly innocent people. Our system is not flawless or infallible (as this verdict pretty much demonstrated, IMO), but it's probably the best in the world.

8. Solange82200

Solange82200 New Member

And the experts, the ones who should know, testified that there would probably not be DNA. That is who we should listen to, not just "look" and think it doesnt look like it was on the body.

9. kline

kline Well-Known Member

Sadly as often happens our judicial system is not about getting to the truth but which team of lawyers can out charisamize or bamboozle 12 suceptible hand picked folks.
    In this case Casey's team 'won'....and a baby killer has been turned loose on the streets.
    She got away with murder.
    In this case 'Not Guilty' by legal standards certainly does not translate to 'Innocent'

10. nomoresorrow

nomoresorrow Well-Known Member

Excellent & well thought out post! Regarding "take a look at look at the jury instructions..." Many others, along with myself, have included links/reference to the jury instructions, but apparently there are some who think that it's acceptable for a jury to make up their own requirements as they see fit.

11. rose222

rose222 Active Member

I agree with you :)

12. Sharai

Sharai New Member

Thanks for clarifying that for me......

13. Sharai

Sharai New Member

I respectfully disagree, it is the responsibility of the jury to examine the evidence and make an inference as to guilt or innocence of the defendent. Discovering the truth is an aspect of this process. The jury seemed to understand this or else they would not have found Casey Anthony guilty of lying. I find it incomprehensible as to how they were unable to ascertain that the reason she lied had to to with her culpability.

Furthermore, the manner in which the defense team approached this trial including their behavior within the courtroom and their continual courtship of the media while they criticized and blamed them for the "media circus" they created is deplorable. I believe Jose Baez disrespected the court, the members of the court, the American judicial system, and the American public by fabricating lies, making accusations, and prostituting the adversal nature of the criminal justice system to his own advantage. I seriously believe his behavior is evidence of a serious lapse in character and personality.

The American judicial system is the foundation upon which society is established. How is this verdict going to affect society standards of behavior from this day forth?

14. Sharai

Sharai New Member

Thanks for clarifying that, I believe I intended to post my response on the post you were responding to. I appreciate you clearing that up for me.

15. Sharai

Sharai New Member

I respectfully disagree, it is the responsibility of the jury to examine the evidence and make an inference as to guilt or innocence of the defendant. Discovering the truth is an aspect of this process. The jury seemed to understand this or else they would not have found Casey Anthony guilty of lying. I find it incomprehensible as to how they were unable to ascertain that the reason she lied had to to with her culpability.

Furthermore, the manner in which the defense team approached this trial including their behavior within the courtroom and their continual courtship of the media while they criticized and blamed them for the "media circus" they created is deplorable. I believe Jose Baez disrespected the court, the members of the court, the American judicial system, and the American public by fabricating lies, making accusations, and prostituting the adversal nature of the criminal justice system to his own advantage. I seriously believe his behavior is evidence of a serious lapse in character and personality.

The American judicial system is the foundation upon which society is established. How is this verdict going to affect society standards of behavior from this day forth?

16. clv129

clv129 Member

apparently all you have to do to get away with murder is to deny deny deny... where's haleigh? where's kyron? where's stacy peterson? etc?

17. Sharai

Sharai New Member

Actually, the defense team complained about their seating due to their concern that observers in the courtroom might be able to see over their shoulders and read their notebooks. They requested to be moved so that to their location.

In addition, having the defendant placed directly in front of the jury would allow for a possible heightened effect of peripheral persuasion, this is persuasion that goes on outside of conscious attention.” (This concept) "has been studied for decades by those involved with advertising, politics, and negotiations (Lewicki, Barry, and Saunders, 2010)." It is an indirect persuasive method by which one's perception is influenced by the attractiveness of the messenger, the aggressiveness of the messenger, the confidence displayed by the messenger, augmentative behavior, the intensity of their language, and their emotional appeal. Peripheral persuasion can trump factual data. Emotional expression is more contagious than cognitive arguments, especially if there are time constraints. "Only a very aware person or professional can resist (this) peripheral emotional persuasion." "Recent brain research indicates that the person with the most emotional expressions will dominate a group in the absence of hierarchy (Goleman, 2006).

I think peripheral persuasion may have contributed to the not guilty verdict. I think it may have been an influencing factor within the courtroom, particularly during opening statements and closing arguments, as well as within the jury deliberation process. Perhaps jurors need to be given instruction regarding this concept so that they are fully aware of this human fallibility and are better able to participate in a logical rather than emotional sequence of problem solving within their own minds as well as with fellow jurors.

18. Sharai

Sharai New Member

Connecting the dots reminds me of the coloring books I had as a child. There would be part of an object drawn and you had to correctly connect the dots to get the complete picture. Seems like a simple concept to me.

2. _.
    .3 Uilty

19. Solange82200

Solange82200 New Member

That would make sense if Mason and Baez didnt do the same thing, especially at the beginning.. . Remember how nasty they were to every witness???

Baez's attacks on Amy?

Mason's comment to one of the CSI ladies saying "Excuse me, Im over here?"

The personal accusations Baez would make against Ashton every time HE would bring in testimony at the last minute and Ashton would object... Baez got really personal when defending himself those times...

If the jurors identified with Baez more than the prosecutors, it must be because he is on their intelligence lever and they felt threatened by Linda and Jeff. Just look at Baez speak and fumble and mumble, compared to Linda and Jeff (and Ann Finnell for that matter, who knew her stuff).

20. costalpilot

costalpilot Active Member

because it was in a swamp...did you watch the trial?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.