Did Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover Cross The Line?

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Blondie in Spokane, May 10, 2012.

1. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

2. FrayedKnot

FrayedKnot Former Member

The only issue I have with self-weaning that stretches past the toddler years comes from my experience as a preschool teacher.

I have had a handful of children who are products of attachment parenting and are still being breasted (I teach 3-year-olds). These children are able to enjoy a productive morning at school, but by noon become inconsolable and are desperate and crying for their mothers, and milk.

The frustrating part is that not a single one of these poor kiddos was in the half-day program, but were expected to stay for lunch and nap.

You can imagine the upset the entire room undergoes when a child who is used to being swaddled and breastfed is suddenly left at school for 7 hours with no mommy and no breast. I have one child this year who stands at the classroom door with his backpack and cries on and off most of the day. :(.

I think attachment parenting is a beautiful and wonderful thing, but would just beg moms to wean their children before enrolling them in school. It is heartbreaking and frankly, disruptive to the whole class.

I will say that we do have conferences after the first six weeks of school (so that we can have a chance to really observe) and if a child is still having such a hard time, we recommend a shorter day or other options. Didn't want anyone to think we would let a little one cry all school year! :(

3. badhorsie

badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

I successfully breastfed with breasts that did not look "full"

4. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

I get REALLY pissed when it is mentioned (and I heard from my MIL tooooo many times), that if you didn't end up "pushing" a baby out, then you didn't experience the birth experience. I say "BULL#HIT"!

5. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

I know the value of my breasts lol, but I don't think they were meant to be "whipped out"

6. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member