Discussion: Why are Terri's friends Acting this way.

I just don't get it. Either they had such boring, cookie cutter lives that this seemed exciting and dangerous, or they really thought that whatever lies TH told them were true and they had to step up and protect her. I know I'd never go as far to as to buy phones using false aliases, but I'm probably watched way too many crime shows to be that silly. I wonder how mad their families were at them for being so dumb.

I mean, what in the heck is so important that you have to circumvent the law to talk about it? What were they doing, talking in code over the batphones? Sounds like someone watched way too many spy shows like Burn Notice. I don't know, it just seems insane to me to do something like this. I can't fathom what could be so important that you try and circumvent the law to help your friend.

I do sincerely hope that that is the only thing they did for her. I don't know what kind of con she got going, but if they are in deeper than the phones, they will be sharing a cell with her. I hope they are aware of that now and are really giving up any and all information they have.

I just don't get it. Either they had such boring, cookie cutter lives that this seemed exciting and dangerous, or they really thought that whatever lies TH told them were true and they had to step up and protect her. I know I'd never go as far to as to buy phones using false aliases, but I'm probably watched way too many crime shows to be that silly. I wonder how mad their families were at them for being so dumb.

I mean, what in the heck is so important that you have to circumvent the law to talk about it? What were they doing, talking in code over the batphones? Sounds like someone watched way too many spy shows like Burn Notice. I don't know, it just seems insane to me to do something like this. I can't fathom what could be so important that you try and circumvent the law to help your friend.

I do sincerely hope that that is the only thing they did for her. I don't know what kind of con she got going, but if they are in deeper than the phones, they will be sharing a cell with her. I hope they are aware of that now and are really giving up any and all information they have.

What law did they circumvent?

I've often wondered about the Terry hiring a landscaper. Did they specify if she actually hired him to do yard work? Did she just hire him for the MFH? Maybe that would explain why Kaine never new about her hiring him, if in fact she did.

What law did they circumvent?

It's not that they actually circumvented any law, it's the spirit of what they did. Would you go out and buy a phone with a false alias if you weren't worried about the police finding out about it? I never walk around thinking I need to use a false name for anything. The fact that they wanted their privacy even from the police says that they were willing to keep what they said away from the police, and for all we know that could include information to help this investigation. It may have been just a stupid thing to do, but the spirit of it suggests the only person they trusted was Terri, and they worried about the law coming after them just for talking to her. How paranoid can you get? The police aren't going to arrest you for saying "Hello, how are you doing?"

And if the police think badly enough of it, they can charge them as accomplices or with conspiracy to commit a crime, or conspiracy to help out after the fact. Many people have gone to jail for just simply helping out someone with no idea that person was doing something illegal.

It's not that they actually circumvented any law, it's the spirit of what they did. Would you go out and buy a phone with a false alias if you weren't worried about the police finding out about it? I never walk around thinking I need to use a false name for anything. The fact that they wanted their privacy even from the police says that they were willing to keep what they said away from the police, and for all we know that could include information to help this investigation. It may have been just a stupid thing to do, but the spirit of it suggests the only person they trusted was Terri, and they worried about the law coming after them just for talking to her. How paranoid can you get? The police aren't going to arrest you for saying "Hello, how are you doing?"

And if the police think badly enough of it, they can charge them as accomplices or with conspiracy to commit a crime, or conspiracy to help out after the fact. Many people have gone to jail for just simply helping out someone with no idea that person was doing something illegal.

.........or their private life, having nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance and therefore shouldn't be subject to the wiretapping which Terri herself was subject to, they chose to take this route, however weird it seems.

.........or their private life, having nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance and therefore shouldn't be subject to the wiretapping which Terri herself was subject to, they chose to take this route, however weird it seems.

And what about a private life is so important that a person would be willing to use false names to get throwaway phones? It's silly and it's stupid. I know there's a constitutional right to privacy, but it shouldn't be thrown around like it's more important than obeying the law at any time, especially when a child goes missing. Who is more important here, Terri or Kyron?

In any event, whether it's just the phones or more that they did, it was stupid for them to do something so silly and underhanded. It's a slap to the hard work of police that these soccer moms thought they could outwit LE with batphones.

And what about a private life is so important that a person would be willing to use false names to get throwaway phones? It's silly and it's stupid. I know there's a constitutional right to privacy, but it shouldn't be thrown around like it's more important than obeying the law at any time, especially when a child goes missing. Who is more important here, Terri or Kyron?

I'm not sure I understand how they can defend their right to privacy, even if their friend is subject to having her privacy tapped, and then they are "throwing it around." They have the right to that privacy. Their actions of getting a cell phone by a company which worked in the area they were going to spend a significant amount of time in makes sense. How they went about it is the only weird thing, but weird still doesn't make criminal.

As to your last question, it's a false dichotomy. One is neither more important than the other. Terri has been removed from the circle of those who care about Kyron and has been put into a position where her focus MUST be on herself, since it appears everyone has been accusing her of a most horrific crime. That's the way it is and it isn't pretty, but it would seem both have their lives on the line right now.

Do we have any information how all these "friends" met Terri? I'm going to try researching that today and see what I can find. It's a lazy Sunday and I have a little time at the moment :smile:

Eh, couldn't find much. Nothing that is helpful anyhow.

quoting myself is cool.. hee hee! :smile:

Can someone explain to me what a 'bat' phone is? I have read that expression several times and it has me puzzled. TIA.

Also... why would it have to be Terri involved if Kyron was found close to the school? I would think she would want to dispose of him as far away from the school and the home as possible. And it sure would not explain why she was on Sauvie Island.

^ BBM. I see someone already answered the first portion of your post, so I'm referring to second portion above bolded..

Of course there is no definite answer to this question and can only be speculation and/or opinion (which assume could vary drastically). Just as your opinion above states that you feel she would dispose of far from the school and the home..

My opinion is that of the opposite, based mainly on stats by LE/FBI that the "perp" is more likely to dispose of the body in areas they, themselves are familiar and comfortable with. I also take into consideration the fact that IMO with Terri being the "perp" that she had time restraints that may or may not be even more restrained than we know of(i.e. by Kaine's returning home from work early that day). What I am referring to about tighter restraints is possibly that she only had a small window of time withOUT baby K with her and that time was specifically used for disposing of the body...

So with all of those factors taken into consideration I think it is very very likely that Kyrons body will eventually be found to be fairly near the vicinity of the home and school..JMO

ETA~ And I think[IMO]that Terri is currently thinking that if Kyrons body is found in a nearby vicinity of the home and school that she will use the good ol' excuse of... "If I were to have done this wouldn't I have been smarter than to have disposed of the body so close to home and school."

[/B]

^ BBM. I see someone already answered the first portion of your post, so I'm referring to second portion above bolded..

Of course there is no definite answer to this question and can only be speculation and/or opinion (which assume could vary drastically). Just as your opinion above states that you feel she would dispose of far from the school and the home..

My opinion is that of the opposite, based mainly on stats by LE/FBI that the "perp" is more likely to dispose of the body in areas they, themselves are familiar and comfortable with. I also take into consideration the fact that IMO with Terri being the "perp" that she had time restraints that may or may not be even more restrained than we know of(i.e. by Kaine's returning home from work early that day). What I am referring to about tighter restraints is possibly that she only had a small window of time withOUT baby K with her and that time was specifically used for disposing of the body...

So with all of those factors taken into consideration I think it is very very likely that Kyrons body will eventually be found to be fairly near the vicinity of the home and school..JMO

ETA~ And I think[IMO]that Terri is currently thinking that if Kyrons body is found in a nearby vicinity of the home and school that she will use the good ol' excuse of... "If I were to have done this wouldn't I have been smarter than to have disposed of the body so close to home and school.
"

^^^BBM

Smooth Operator, you make an excellent point that I wonder if folks are realizing....finding a body (Heaven forbid :( ) does not guarantee finding the person who committed the crime.

I hope and pray that the searchers find clues that lead them to a miracle.....:praying:

I too find this behavior baffling but at the same time I can't help but think of other cases in which people helped someone in the same way. In the Drew Peterson case (suspected of killing two wives), a friend came to the Peterson home one night with a cell phone for Drew to use. In the Casey Anthony case, her parents and brother all bought "bat" phones - throw-away phones that LE couldn't track.

In both of the above cases it's presumed that the use of a cell phone not known to LE was to be used for the purpose of skirting the law.

I certainly can't think of any friend I'd buy a cell phone for, knowing that the friend, while not a named suspect, was someone that people felt was involved in the disappearance of a child. It just wouldn't happen. Nor would I move in with that person after her husband had left her.

If I had any idea that a friend was involved in the disappearance of a child, or anyone, I'd call LE. So I find the behavior of these "friends" suspicious. The only thing I can think of is that TH has told them something - a fabricated story - that they believe.

Great post!

Nevertheless, in spite of TH's hubris, LE will be successful & Kyron will be found dead or alive. TH & her adoring friends will be charged,tried & appropriate justice meeted out!
The mills of God grind slowly but they grind exceedingly FINE

If LE is okay with these friends getting private phones in fake names and possibly giving them to Terri, so am I. If they feel that the law would consider it interfered with an ongoing child abduction and possibly murder case - and those phones might have to do with Kyron's disappearance, I hope they charge them with whatever they've got.

I gave a fake name to Radio Shack once because I don't think they need to know who I am when I am paying cash. But I wasn't buying a phone for someone who was at the center of a huge criminal investigation. I would be too chicken, if nothing else.

It behooves the person who finds themselves in the midst of a criminal investigation to conduct themselves with the utmost integrity & to also think about how their actions may or may not be interpreted by LE (who is scrutinizing each & every thing they say & do).

If that person has retained legal counsel, it is in their best interest to consult their attorney for advice on how to conduct themselves in every aspect of their lives (regardless of whether that person is responsible for the crime or not), and then to follow that advice without fail - especially if that person has retained the legal services of such an experienced attorney as Mr. Houze.

As the weeks go by, I continue to be astounded to read of all these unusual activities that TH and her friends have participated in, from the sexting relationship with MC, to the secret phones purchased by 2 friends on 2 different days using the same so-called *spur of the moment* alias, as if they all are under the collective delusion that although LE is searching every nook & cranny, they apparently seem to believe they exist in a bubble wherein their actions are magically invisible & beyond reproach.

It boggles my mind.

Make no mistake - I'm still on the fence when it comes to who's guilty (until we learn of solid evidence).

One thing I have no doubt about, though - there are more than a few people who are parading as adults, but who IMO need adult supervision themselves, because as far as I'm concerned, they have NOT conducted themselves as responsible adults.

MOO

I guess it partly depends on when the phones were actually purchased and what they actually lied about.

I have never bought one of those toss away phones, but I've heard that there are places where you can buy them from vending machines (very big in Europe, but supposedly here too???) so I don't know of any legal reason you have to give your real name and address.

If it is just a form that goes back to the company so they can bombard you with junk mail, then why not lie? I do it frequently, especially when I have to register online to view a news page or print a coupon. I don't want more junk mail or junk email or phone calls, so I always put a fake phone number and have a "spam only" email address. In fact, not that long ago on WS there was a password people would share to log onto a certain news site so you didn't have to register there. I am certainly not committing a crime.

If TH's friends truly believe in her innocence and that she is being stalked by the media, then I assume that's why they bought the phones. We look at this from the outside, but imagine someone you know and care about. Imagine this is someone you cannot even fathom being involved. Would you really turn your back on them and not support them at all, just because the media and the public had convicted them?

There are people on these boards who don't think she's guilty. Is it really so hard to imagine that she has friends who don't believe it either?

I guess it partly depends on when the phones were actually purchased and what they actually lied about.

I have never bought one of those toss away phones, but I've heard that there are places where you can buy them from vending machines (very big in Europe, but supposedly here too???) so I don't know of any legal reason you have to give your real name and address.

If it is just a form that goes back to the company so they can bombard you with junk mail, then why not lie? I do it frequently, especially when I have to register online to view a news page or print a coupon. I don't want more junk mail or junk email or phone calls, so I always put a fake phone number and have a "spam only" email address. In fact, not that long ago on WS there was a password people would share to log onto a certain news site so you didn't have to register there. I am certainly not committing a crime.

If TH's friends truly believe in her innocence and that she is being stalked by the media, then I assume that's why they bought the phones. We look at this from the outside, but imagine someone you know and care about. Imagine this is someone you cannot even fathom being involved. Would you really turn your back on them and not support them at all, just because the media and the public had convicted them?

There are people on these boards who don't think she's guilty. Is it really so hard to imagine that she has friends who don't believe it either?

You're right, but I also wouldn't do anything to get the law looking at me either. There are ways to support a person without doing something stupid like buying batphones with fake aliases. I do the same thing you mentioned, but I'm not thinking about skirting the law or keeping things away from the police when I do that either. I'm just thinking about keep annoying solicitors and spam mail away, and there's no law against that.

I'm not against her getting support, I'm against her getting support that goes against or tries to go around the law. There is such a thing as supporting someone but also not getting the police looking into somebody because of that support at the same time. Families and friends go to court and support family members or friends that are on trial all the time. The police aren't invading their homes and investigating them merely for supporting someone who they think is innocent. It's doing something that is specifically so the police won't know that they're talking to Terri or what they're talking about that stinks here.

I mean there's no point in hiding gossip, how someone is doing or coping, or what your kids are doing - the police aren't going to be interested in that anyway. It's better to keep stuff like that in their ears rather than keep a secret and make LE think there's some kind of conspiracy going on. Basically no one should do anything to invite LE into their lives, especially if it just distracts from instead helps an investigation. So yes, they can think she's innocent and support her, but they shouldn't hinder or obstruct an investigation to do it.

Personally, I think they are convinced that she's innocent based on her behavior pre June 4th and then somehow think that either 1. she's being framed or otherwise made the scapegoat or just the victim of ineffective LE and/or 2. That she could help find Kyron as long as she is not impeded by LE, which means her activity would need to be secret.

And then, when she finds him, they would be part of the heroic team that did what Law Enforcement wasn't able to do.

yes, its gullible, naive and maybe just plain dumb, but I've known people who seem a lot like TH to me, and they seem to know how to attract and keep people perfectly willing to follow their manipulative leader to lengths that just about any other person would consider ridiculous.

MOO, of course......

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Terris-friends-bought-cell-phones-using-fake-names-100163319.html

snipped

Sources say a number of Terri’s friends bought these “cold” cell phones, and at least one of those friends has told investigators that they did so because they felt their regular phones were being monitored and they wanted to ensure some privacy.

I think the key is they thought their phones were being monitored. So they knowingly tried to circumvent LE from listening to "their" conversations. If you associate with the person who is the focus of an investigation, and if indeed there was enough for a court order to be issued to listen in on your calls, and you then attempt to circumvent it, oh yes I have serious concerns as to why you felt the need.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back