Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have grown up around guns all my life and purchased my own handgun when I was 21 years old. I don't know anyone that has a silencer or would even want one.

Jodi told the world that daddy Bill kept a gun with a silencer close by when he had dialysis. In his interview with Det. Flores he said that he had a 25 caliber stolen in the eighties, and it was recovered by LE and he never went and picked it up. IIRC he said he got it for Sandy.

Stealth jurors usually hope to upset what is believed to be the inevitable. They are loners without sole power to either convict or acquit...all they can do is upset the process by hanging a jury. Hung jury does not mean the person goes free; it usually means they will be tried again. I have heard of trials that ended in mistrial by hung jury more than once before finally getting a jury verdict.

I personally would like to see more states adopt rules that recognize a 11-1 vote as a verdict. IOW, some states currently do not require all 12 jurors to agree; I would like to see all states go that way. It would not eliminate the possibility of stealth jurors doing their thing but it would make it more difficult for them, IMO.

Only Oregon and Louisiana don't require a unanimous verdict, however, last I checked the Supreme Court is reviewing that. It would be unlikely other states would even attempt to go in that direction until the SC rules one way or the other.

I went and double checked and it is still just LA and OR. However, it applies in criminal cases but not in Capital cases...those must still be unanimous. It wouldn't have helped here which stinks.

Florida does allow majority vote for DP sentencing, but that's currently under review as stated upthread.

And boy did the DT milk it for all it was worth and JSS brought the cash cow into the courtroom for them to do it. I blame her for it costing millions for the DT who in the end did nothing but put on a smear campaign against Travis for months on end.

Even Nancy Grace said JSS did not handle this case well, as far as stop/start and delays.

I watched two trials in North Carolina, they came in every day at 8 and left at 5. They did not take a day off unless it was something really important. When they deliberated, I think the jury came in at 9 and IIRC they stayed past 5 or in one case they decided in less than one day so no need.

I do not know what Arizona is doing.

From the search warrant.....

ETA....

There are actually 2 search warrants. The first 2 pages are for items seized from her grandparents' house. Hers was the NW bedroom.

The second search warrant was for her parents' house. The 9mm gun was found in the NW bedroom of that house, under a mattress. The silencer was (ironically) not concealed.

I'm not at all sure LE concluded the gun belonged to JA. Everything else on the list of seized items, including the silencer, went to the Mesa PD. The 9mm gun did not- it stayed with local police, at least at that time.

The torn up photos were found thrown away in outside trash.(parents' house).

A digital recorder was found in an inside trash basket, a white long sleeved shirt was being thrown away as well.

Her HD's and all but one of her journals were in a safe under her bed, one journal was found separately, in a dresser drawer.

I just find it extremely heartbreaking that because of JA, her elderly grandparents home was torn apart during the search warrant. Her Grandfather was 77 years old, not sure about her grandmother. I just hope that someone in her family came over to help them clean it up. I bet the goddess never apologized for that either. :dervish:

Jodi told the world that daddy Bill kept a gun with a silencer close by when he had dialysis. In his interview with Det. Flores he said that he had a 25 caliber stolen in the eighties, and it was recovered by LE and he never went and picked it up. IIRC he said he got it for Sandy.

Thank you.

That is very strange to me. Why would he put a silencer on his little .25 caliber?

The only reason I could see someone wanting a silencer would be someone who was up to no good in the first place.

Even Nancy Grace said JSS did not handle this case well, as far as stop/start and delays.

I watched two trials in North Carolina, they came in every day at 8 and left at 5. They did not take a day off unless it was something really important. When they deliberated, I think the jury came in at 9 and IIRC they stayed past 5 or in one case they decided in less than one day so no need.

I do not know what Arizona is doing.

I have never seen a state that allows for so much downtime.

Here in Georgia the judges and jurors put in 5 full days and sometime even come in for trial testimony on Saturdays if the case last long. They can go through a death penalty case in three or four weeks tops. I have even seen some judges allow the jurors to come in on Sunday afternoon after church is over if the jurors are in the deliberation stage.

But the Judges here doesn't pussyfoot around either. They know time is money and they also are mindful that jurors have their own lives they need to get back to also.

IMO

The $3mill was taken from funds in the Public Defender's Office, via the County Attorney. It was already part of those yearly budgets.
Do the math, cost of trial divided by the population of Maricopa County (over 4 million as of 2013), and then split it up over 7 years.
It did NOT come from funds that "could" have been spent in any other county department, not education, law enforcement, roadways, etc., etc., etc.

The people who are REALLY going to be angry are the gals in Perryville, who had Public Defenders, were told the "budget" couldn't afford experts at that time, and ended up taking a plea bargain because their Public Defender said they didn't have a solid case without all the bangs and whistles.
Those gals with 15-20 years on pleas aren't going to be happy campers. Not One Bit. CMJA won't be anyone's special snowflake.

Where the money came from to pay for the Arias trial is less important than the fact that she got special treatment that other defendants who are declared indigent do not receive so I agree with you on that. Part of the expense is due to the case being high profile but most of it is due to how it was handled by the judge, imo.

Lies happen in courtrooms but in this case they were too numerous to count and then allowed to be regurgitated over and over by witnesses, and again in closing argument. It was time-consuming and costly and it was an outrage regardless of whether funds were earmarked in advance solely for that purpose.

Someone asked about the expense and my response was only an expression of my opinion on why much of the cost was unnecessary expense.

What? I give phenobarbitol to my cat. Twice a day....lol. it is readily available at HEB or ANY pharmacy. Please tell me how there is not enough for more than one execution? Firing squads sounds fine by me. We have enough ammo round here.

Manual Vasquez a Mexican Mafia hit man convicted of beating and strangling a San Antonio woman for not paying the gang's 10 percent tax on her illegal drug sales was executed Wednesday evening.

His execution leaves Texas with enough phenobarbital to carry out one more execution. He was the fourth Texas inmate put to death this year, and six more are scheduled in the coming weeks.

I'm tired of whining about how inhumane it is to execute a convicted killer by lethal injection.

Some states have recently passed bills that allow hunting with silencers. I don't get it either, but I guess the bigwigs don't see it as problematic. I can see all kinds of problems myself, and I am a proud member of the NRA, as well as having a CCP. So, dunno.

I suppose it could be that it would cut down on the noise factor if several hunters were in the area. Sounds sort of dangerous to me though. I know my hubby is an avid deer hunter and he would never hunt with a silencer.

Silencers were illegal back in the 80s weren't they when Bill was suppose to have one?

I don't belong to the NRA........a little too political for me but I have had a CCP since I first got my handgun at 21. In fact I just had it renewed last month.

IMO

He probably had it because his deranged murdering daughter convinced him and Mama Dearest that the Ninja's were coming. It is so hard for me to believe that at least her mom didn't know something was amiss. Why did she know about the gun in the car escape plot? I call BS.

Manual Vasquez a Mexican Mafia hit man convicted of beating and strangling a San Antonio woman for not paying the gang's 10 percent tax on her illegal drug sales was executed Wednesday evening.

His execution leaves Texas with enough phenobarbital to carry out one more execution. He was the fourth Texas inmate put to death this year, and six more are scheduled in the coming weeks.

I'm tired of whining about how inhumane it is to execute a convicted killer by lethal injection.
:eek: My GS has been on this for four years to control seizures . I'm so glad he is being weaned from it. Of course you have to be careful with all meds but to hear that one is actually used to kill people, Jesus! Scary. I guess they use an awful lot of it?

What? I give phenobarbitol to my cat. Twice a day....lol. it is readily available at HEB or ANY pharmacy. Please tell me how there is not enough for more than one execution? Firing squads sounds fine by me. We have enough ammo round here.

Many studies have been held about methods for executions and the firing squad is rated as the quickest and humane.

In fact the executioner doesn't know if its his weapon who killed the murderer. I think they line up around 7 guys and all fire with 6 having blanks.

Only Oregon and Louisiana don't require a unanimous verdict, however, last I checked the Supreme Court is reviewing that. It would be unlikely other states would even attempt to go in that direction until the SC rules one way or the other.

I went and double checked and it is still just LA and OR. However, it applies in criminal cases but not in Capital cases...those must still be unanimous. It wouldn't have helped here which stinks.

In Florida the guilty (of first degree murder) must be unanimous, but not the death sentence after the guilty verdict.

I suppose it could be that it would cut down on the noise factor if several hunters were in the area. Sounds sort of dangerous to me though. I know my hubby is an avid deer hunter and he would never hunt with a silencer.

Silencers were illegal back in the 80s weren't they when Bill was suppose to have one?

I don't belong to the NRA........a little too political for me but I have had a CCP since I first got my handgun at 21. In fact I just had it renewed last month.

IMO

I hunt as well, and for me, I want to hear ANY and ALL shots being fired. I want my rights, but I just don't feel that I should have this kind of right.

I think the pheno sedates and something else stops the heart.

:eek: My GS has been on this for four years to control seizures . I'm so glad he is being weaned from it. Of course you have to be careful with all meds but to hear that one is actually used to kill people, Jesus! Scary. I guess they use an awful lot of it?

Where the money came from to pay for the Arias trial is less important than the fact that she got special treatment that other defendants who are declared indigent do not receive so I agree with you on that. Part of the expense is due to the case being high profile but most of it is due to how it was handled by the judge, imo.

Lies happen in courtrooms but in this case they were too numerous to count and then allowed to be regurgitated over and over by witnesses, and again in closing argument. It was time-consuming and costly and it was an outrage regardless of whether funds were earmarked in advance solely for that purpose.

Someone asked about the expense and my response was only an expression of my opinion on why much of the cost was unnecessary expense.

ITA!

And the ironic thing about this resentencing phase the majority of jurors came out and said 90%(imo) of the DTs case was totally irrelevant to them. So she let them waste time and make more money on things the jury wasn't even interested in to begin with.

IMO

I hunt as well, and for me, I want to hear ANY and ALL shots being fired. I want my rights, but I just don't feel that I should have this kind of right.

I agree. I wouldn't want to be in the woods hunting with someone who had a silencer. I want to know when the gun is fired and what direction.

I just find it extremely heartbreaking that because of JA, her elderly grandparents home was torn apart during the search warrant. Her Grandfather was 77 years old, not sure about her grandmother. I just hope that someone in her family came over to help them clean it up. I bet the goddess never apologized for that either. :dervish:

She didn't care about them either. JA is a master manipulator and only is around someone if she can use them in someway.

I am sure she never apologized. JA thinks she is entitled to do as she please and piss on everyone else and their feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong