Dixie Chicks win five Grammys

Paladin said:
No one said anything about you having to buy or play their music. It's just that your reasons for doing so aren't very well thought out.

You obviously support the Chicks. That's fine. But because some don't agree with you doesn't mean we haven't thought this out. lol

Masterj said:
Random bit of gossip for you regarding Justin's "What goes around." You know how he said he wrote this about an experience his best friend went through? His best friend Trace was engaged to Elisha Cuthbert, who plays Jack Bauer's daughter Kim on 24. Elisha cheated on Trace and I think is now dating some hockey player. I definitely wouldn't want to piss off Justin!

Pishposh Masterj! I know you read ONTD like I do (and PopSugar/PopBitch, JJ, etc., etc.) and you and I both know it's about Britney. It's simply because they are meant to be and he will be his Prince Charming to save her, duh. :p The Elisha Cuthbert thing is just a coincidence that allows Justin to dodge the fact that he still is not over Britney because they are meant to be.

Just having a bit of fun with you. :) I know you and I read the same things all day long. Poor Brit though, eh? Christina, Justin... all her peers were at the Grammys looking fabulous.. and she was trashing it up with a bunch of strippers in NYC. *shakes head*

This is absolutely ridiculous. Paladin - there is no need for insults. Why does everyone have to stoop to that level? How is that different than us going into the political threads and being called terrorists b/c we disagree with the war? It only weakens our arguments when we start tossing the insults. Also, luv - we get that you don't like the Chicks or their statements. Why do you need to insult them by calling them dumb?

One final comment. If winning 6 grammys means their careers have gone down the toilet than I would be thrilled for my career to get a whirlie!

Melisinde said:
Pishposh Masterj! I know you read ONTD like I do (and PopSugar/PopBitch, JJ, etc., etc.) and you and I both know it's about Britney. It's simply because they are meant to be and he will be his Prince Charming to save her, duh. :p The Elisha Cuthbert thing is just a coincidence that allows Justin to dodge the fact that he still is not over Britney because they are meant to be.

Just having a bit of fun with you. :) I know you and I read the same things all day long. Poor Brit though, eh? Christina, Justin... all her peers were at the Grammys looking fabulous.. and she was trashing it up with a bunch of strippers in NYC. *shakes head*
LOL!!!!!! I actually only read perez and dlisted but not as much lately as they have become so mean spirited. Most of my gossip comes from my friends who work in wardrobe and makeup. I swear - those people get the BEST scoops!

I adore Justin. I adored Britney back in her day, but my hopes of her comeback are fading, fading, fading. Plus the woman in me wants to see Brit pull herself together and not have Justin save her. And then have Justin fall back in love with her after seeing how she got back on her feet.

Masterj said:
Also, luv - we get that you don't like the Chicks or their statements. Why do you need to insult them by calling them dumb?

Because that's what I think of them. You can think they are "smart" for doing what they did, I just think it was a dumb move, and they did pay the price for speaking their minds.

We own our own business, and I can tell you if we voiced our political opinions to our customers, we'd probably lose half of them. Not a smart business move. Nor is it my job to voice my political opinions to our customers. They have minds of their own...they don't need me telling them how to think.

I think there is a time and place for everything, and I think the Dumb Chicks should stick to singing. I am sick to death of these types of people spouting their political views. I somehow doubt Natalie would have such a big mouth if she was a WalMart greeter...money sure does make these people think their opinion needs to be known by everyone.

I never called them smart - I actually don't think I called them anything, I just commented on enjoying their music.

You and I clearly disagree on the DC, but that is not my point. I think you can disagree with their actions without resorting to insulting them. I just think it lessens your argument by calling them names. I am going to take a wild guess that it bothers you when people call George Bush names so why stoop to that level?

Masterj said:
I never called them smart - I actually don't think I called them anything, I just commented on enjoying their music.

You and I clearly disagree on the DC, but that is not my point. I think you can disagree with their actions without resorting to insulting them. I just think it lessens your argument by calling them names. I am going to take a wild guess that it bothers you when people call George Bush names so why stoop to that level?

I think what they did was dumb...hence the name "Dumb Chicks." I think it's interesting that when these people gain a level of financial freedom how they suddenly think they need to enlighten the rest of us. They are entertainers...and some of them don't strike me as being the brightest bulbs in the box. But it seems their heads get swollen, and they think they have to voice their opinion. And they can sure do that, but they have to understand that some people are not going to agree with them.

I'm not a huge fan of George Bush. I agree and disagree with things he has done, but I respect the position of the president. Same with Clinton.

If I blabbed my personal political opinion to everyone, expecially our customers, then that would be a dumb move. I doubt my friends, family, customers, or anyone for that matter, really cares what my political opinions are. And it would be financial suicide to spout off to our customers.

And I am sure Natalie will once again share her wisdom with everyone in the future. lol

montana_16 said:
I haven't followed this all that much, but did she actually say something bad about our country? I thought she only said she was ashamed that Bush was from her state.

That's all she said, montana. And then the country went nuts.

luvbeaches said:
...We own our own business, and I can tell you if we voiced our political opinions to our customers, we'd probably lose half of them. Not a smart business move. Nor is it my job to voice my political opinions to our customers. They have minds of their own...they don't need me telling them how to think...

I think there is a time and place for everything, and I think the Dumb Chicks should stick to singing. I am sick to death of these types of people spouting their political views. I somehow doubt Natalie would have such a big mouth if she was a WalMart greeter...money sure does make these people think their opinion needs to be known by everyone.
I agree with you. The DC and other entertainers have every right to speak their minds to their friends and family. IMO, they have no right to use a national forum afforded to them solely because they are entertainers for their own personal agenda. That's why I am appalled.

I also respect the Office of the Presidency, no matter who is in office. I do think that Bill and Hillary Clinton have done many illegal things and then lied afterwards. However, I have never wished them either ill will or ill harm. I have never called either dumb, stupid, idiotic, Nazis or whatever. I think that it is a reflection on those that resort to personal attacks such as these.

Because DC and other celebrities have chosen to pretend that they are political experts and use public forums to spew their venue, I have chosen to react in the only way that I can to show my disapproval. I hit them in the pocketbook. I don't buy the DC's or Barbra Streisand's CD's as I don't pay to watch any movie of the likes of George Clooney, Tim Robinson, Ben Affleck, Susan Serandon (sp?), etc., etc.

I realize that these people are talented in their fields of expertise. That's where their efforts should be focused. I and many others are not interested in their political views.

luvbeaches said:
You obviously support the Chicks. That's fine. But because some don't agree with you doesn't mean we haven't thought this out. lol
No I don't. I wouldn't know a single song or thing about them if you asked me. I support being able to say something about our idiotic president without being blindly blasted. I have the RIGHT to say whatever I want, just as the Dixie Chicks do about President Bush, Texas, and our country. You also have the right to say you disagree with them, and me.

It's very American to question your leadership, no matter the venue. If anything, our government needs more accountability for the unreasonable things that are going on. Were you embarassed by their comments? Were you angered? If so, I feel it's misdirected. Perhaps you should be embarssed and angry that we are in such a position that our citizens are so affected by things that they should even need to speak up.

I'm glad you're offended. I'm not glad because I'm mean spirited or I'm doing it to hurt anyone. Everyone should be offended at the way our country is currently. Stand up and question your government, rather than question those who aren't afraid to speak up against it.

nanandjim said:
Because DC and other celebrities have chosen to pretend that they are political experts and use public forums to spew their venue, I have chosen to react in the only way that I can to show my disapproval. I hit them in the pocketbook. I don't buy the DC's or Barbra Streisand's CD's as I don't pay to watch any movie of the likes of George Clooney, Tim Robinson, Ben Affleck, Susan Serandon (sp?), etc., etc.

I realize that these people are talented in their fields of expertise. That's where their efforts should be focused. I and many others are not interested in their political views.

That's exactly what I've done. And I am not the least bit interested in what they have to say. It would be like George Bush telling the DC's how to write a song or where they should tour.

These people have such inflated egos. It seems the larger their bank accounts are, the more informed they become. lol

nanandjim said:
I and many others are not interested in their political views.
I had to chuckle at this - none of us is particularly interested in another person's political views if they are different from our own!:) Unless we're feeling arugumentative....;)

Paladin said:
No I don't. I wouldn't know a single song or thing about them if you asked me. I support being able to say something about our idiotic president without being blindly blasted. I have the RIGHT to say whatever I want, just as the Dixie Chicks do about President Bush, Texas, and our country. You also have the right to say you disagree with them, and me.

You sure have the right to think and say what you want. However, to tell another poster, "It's just that your reasons for doing so aren't very well thought out" is crossing the line. Our ideas are as well thought-out as yours, and are as valid. Who are you to make that call? Are the posts that are not along your reasoning all "not well-thought out?"

luvbeaches said:
You sure have the right to think and say what you want. However, to tell another poster, "It's just that your reasons for doing so aren't very well thought out" is crossing the line. Our ideas are as well thought-out as yours, and are as valid. Who are you to make that call? Are the posts that are not along your reasoning all "not well-thought out?"
My posts are up to the same scrutiny as everyone elses. It's merely my opinion that your opinion or others aren't as well thought-out as they could be regarding this matter. There's no need to get bent out of shape about it. Disagree and move on.

EDIT: And come to think of it...it's quite obvious you care about your opinion very much. Based on your signature you feel the need to point out that your statements are your opinion only. Why? Doesn't that go without saying?

southcitymom said:
I had to chuckle at this - none of us is particularly interested in another person's political views if they are different from our own!:) Unless we're feeling arugumentative....;)

Exactly. One never hears complaints when a performer sings "God Bless the USA" or "Okie from Muskogie," yet these numbers are every bit as political as anything the DCX say or sing.

And anyway, what are singers supposed to sing about? Puppy love and nothing else?

In fact, everything is political. If an artist isn't calling for change, s/he is supporting the status quo.

Paladin said:
EDIT: And come to think of it...it's quite obvious you care about your opinion very much. Based on your signature you feel the need to point out that your statements are your opinion only. Why? Doesn't that go without saying?

Paladin, ALL WS posters were asked to put some sort of disclaimer in their sig lines, identifying their post as opinion. (The request was in response to changing libel laws concerning the internet.)

You will find a similar statement in mine, and it has nothing to do with how much I value my opinions.

Nova said:
Paladin, ALL WS posters were asked to put some sort of disclaimer in their sig lines, identifying their post as opinion. (The request was in response to changing libel laws concerning the internet.)

You will find a similar statement in mine, and it has nothing to do with how much I value my opinions.
Ah, didn't realize that. I still think it's silly. On a message board I would argue that stuff goes without saying.

Nova said:

I didn't know we were supposed to have something like that in our signature line.....

southcitymom said:
I didn't know we were supposed to have something like that in our signature line.....

I don't know if it is still a concern or not. At some point internet ops were being advised to have people add the disclaimer.

The statement "Patsy Ramsey killed her daughter" can be a statement purporting to be opinion or fact, depending on whether the poster has direct knowledge to support the claim. (The statement can also be true or false, but that's a separate concern.)

As I understand it, the opinion disclaimer makes it clear the poster wasn't claiming to be an eyewitness or to have other direct knowledge.

But I can't even remember when we were asked to do this. With internet law evolving very fast, it may already be unnecessary.

glad the chicks won the awards, deserved them!

glad the radio stations STILL aren't playing their music
AND
still won't buy their music

isn't it great to be an American?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members