DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelmothTheLost

Reaction score
I thought it would be useful to have a general discussion thread for the DNA Doe Project where we can discuss their work and techniques in general terms, which cases we'd like to see them tackle, which cases (if any) we think should maybe have priority over others, talk about the cases they choose to take on and so on.

This is a rather out of the way part of the board but I couldn't see anywhere with higher traffic where this discussion would fit comfortably. Is there anywhere you think it would fit better? If so, I will ask the Mods to move it where it could be seen by more people.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
New identification! According to the DDP facebook page Kern county Jane doe 1980 the victim of the serial killer Wilson Chouest has been identified and confirmed as Shirley Ann Soosay. She is the first First nation person identified through the genetic geneology
Kern Co Jane Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases
You know, I really like it when I'm wrong.

You know, I really like it when I'm wrong.
It is one of the DDP oldest cases, they have picked it in 2018. I hope Apache Junction Jane Doe,Ventura Co Jane Doe 1980, Grundy co Jane Doe and Pulaski co Jane Doe will be identified in 2021 too!

By the way the video about her identification is very interesting and informative and I find it emotional and heart breaking.
I suspect was been identified in 2020 and was one of 12 Does identified in 2020 but not announced (now 7 of them have been announced)

Last edited:
It is one of the DDP oldest cases, they have picked it in 2018. I hope Apache Junction Jane Doe,Ventura Co Jane Doe 1980, Grundy co Jane Doe and Pulaski co Jane Doe will be identified in 2021 too!

By the way the video about her identification is very interesting and informative and I find it emotional and heart breaking.
I suspect was been identified in 2020 and was one of 12 Does identified in 2020 but not announced (now 7 of them have been announced)

Hopefully Kings County Jane Doe too, as she's been in progress as long as Apache Junction Jane Doe.

Hopefully Kings County Jane Doe too, as she's been in progress as long as Apache Junction Jane Doe.
Yes, also Kings co Jane Doe, however I believe no official announcement was made in regards to her ties to different areas/family names and it looks like a tough case :(

In case of Shirley I am positively surprised that Shirley has been identified after the DDP published on their Facebook page an update about her ethnicity and
reached out to the public and asked people with similar heritage to consider to upload their DNA into the Gedmatch. And that's when her niece saw it! Actually in Shirley's identification she was identified in February 2020 and the announcement has been done now.

How ‘Kern County Jane Doe’ was identified as Shirley Soosay | KGET 17

Yes, also Kings co Jane Doe, however I believe no official announcement was made in regards to her ties to different areas/family names and it looks like a tough case :(

In case of Shirley I am positively surprised that Shirley has been identified after the DDP published on their Facebook page an update about her ethnicity and
reached out to the public and asked people with similar heritage to consider to upload their DNA into the Gedmatch. And that's when her niece saw it! Actually in Shirley's identification she was identified in February 2020 and the announcement has been done now.

How ‘Kern County Jane Doe’ was identified as Shirley Soosay | KGET 17
Yes, this just goes to show how important those geographical clues that could possibly be gleaned from the matches are. I doubt they would have known to focus their search efforts to those areas in Canada without the forensic genealogy. I believe that her ethnicity was even listed as 'uncertain' before DDP started work on this case.

As for other cases solved last year, I have to wonder whether Allegan JD, Jefferson JD, Pulaski County Jane Doe and Nation River Lady are amongst them. Both of their top matches seem within range. Apache Junction also had a big jump after the GEDmatch TOS change so hopefully they were able to make some headway there too.

Yes, this just goes to show how important those geographical clues that could possibly be gleaned from the matches are. I doubt they would have known to focus their search efforts to those areas in Canada without the forensic genealogy. I believe that her ethnicity was even listed as 'uncertain' before DDP started work on this case. I think that Marion co Ohio JN could have been also identified in 2020.

As for other cases solved last year, I have to wonder whether Allegan JD, Jefferson JD, Pulaski County Jane Doe and Nation River Lady are amongst them. Both of their top matches seem within range. Apache Junction also had a big jump after the GEDmatch TOS change so hopefully they were able to make some headway there too.

I also think that Pulaski co JD, Allegan co JN and Nation River Lady were identified. I'm just unsure about jefferson co John Doe as he was recently added to the doenetwork website and as far as I know they only add new cases at the request of law enforcements.

And according to the DDP facebook post dedicated to the Joseph Newton Chandler III identification anniversary, there are 50 identifications made (5 new in 2021), Jenifer Denton aka “Charlene” was one of them, as she was identified after the Gedmatch changes. I am just unsure if they count the California fire victims among this 50.

Last edited:
I also think that Pulaski co JD, Allegan co JN and Nation River Lady were identified. I'm just unsure about jefferson co John Doe as he was recently added to the doenetwork website and as far as I know they only add new cases at the request of law enforcements.

And according to the DDP facebook post dedicated to the Joseph Newton Chandler III identification anniversary, there are 50 identifications made (5 new in 2021), Jenifer Denton aka “Charlene” was one of them, as she was identified after the Gedmatch changes. I am just unsure if they count the California fire victims among this 50.
I think it was said that there were only 2 unidentified victims.

I think it was said that there were only 2 unidentified victims.
I remember reading about it too, but do you think these two victims are among the 50 victims identified by the DDP ? I don’t think any additional information will be released about them, it is understandable.

I remember reading about it too, but do you think these two victims are among the 50 victims identified by the DDP ? I don’t think any additional information will be released about them, it is understandable.
It's hard to tell honestly, I half do and half don't.

Looks like the Newton co LE is a fast agency for announcements, Jenifer Denton identification announcement has also happened pretty fast.
I'm willing to bet that he wasn't one of the additional 5 newly identified victims that had been included in the 50 identifications.
Yes, the post which mentioned that there are 50 identifications was from 6th March, Brad has been added later, hopefully there more Does identified since March 6th.
Here is the DDP announcement post with the photo of Johnny Brandenburg, now his mother and siblings finally know what happened to him:
AACDB074-EEC7-4FEF-A242-F8865E794009.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the Newton co LE is a fast agency for announcements, Jenifer Denton identification announcement has also happened pretty fast.

Yes, the post which mentioned that there are 50 identifications was from 6th March, Bred has been added later, hopefully there more Does identified since March 6th.
The DDP announcement post with the photo of Johny Brandenburg, now his mother and siblings finally know what happened to him.
View attachment 294378
I thought I had read 55 does at some point somewhere, but I can't remember for the life of me where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288