DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully something will be said soon by the DDP, I've already moved him to identified on both the UID wiki and the DDP's wiki page. At the very least he'll probably be moved to their success stories.
I hope so too, as he is a victim of homicide (I consider it to be a very graphic case) I hope they will tell a bit more of the story. If I lived in the area, it would bother me that something like this happened nearby. I hope the LE and the DDP will eventually release more information.

Today there will be a new update of a spreadsheet, I wonder if Joan will add new cases (Lake Michigan JN, Gacy victim # 5, Jackson co Doe, Ramsey co JD)

Today there will be a new update of a spreadsheet, I wonder if Joan will add new cases (Lake Michigan JN, Gacy victim # 5, Jackson co Doe, Ramsey co JD)
Looks like the new cases aren't listed yet, but Kenosha John Doe has had a jump to 144.8 and La Vergne Jane Doe has had a jump to 144.7

There is an update of the status of cases on the pinned post, both Gwinnett co cases are in sequencing now.

The interesting thing is that apparently there is an Ancient/Paleo-DNA lab that does extraction at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, which was used for the Babes in the Wood, according to the press conference. I wonder if we might see more cases being sent there if that is eventually successful. Hopefully there may be some unannounced cases being worked by Othram, Identifinders, Parabon as well or in the DDP pipeline.

There was a film production company that produced a documentary detailing the exhumation of this UID (caution PM pic: Albert Johnson (criminal) - Wikipedia) back in the 2000s - late last year they had a page up suggesting they were doing FGG with Othram, but it's doesn't seem to be up anymore. It is a pretty intriguing (almost legendary in some areas) case that I'd love to see solved. And then there is Septic Tank Sam in Alberta; I wouldn't be surprised if that one is getting worked on already.

Yes. We are working the case: Who is the Mad Trapper of Rat River?.
Also we helped identify Septic Tank Sam: After 43 year, Septic Tank Sam is Identified.

They have so many cases now, I kind of figured they would start to slow down.

Also on Facebook it appears they’re taking interest in possibly identifying victims of the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921, however Tulsa doesn’t seem to have reached back to them yet
Oklahoma archaeologists and Tulsa officials plan a private ceremony Friday to reinter 19 bodies exhumed as part of the search for additional Tulsa Race Massacre victims.

City officials said forensic analysis of the bodies exhumed at Oaklawn Cemetery wrapped up two weeks ago, though efforts to identify the individuals continues.

Officials said they plan a short, private ceremony with the 1921 Graves Public Oversight Committee at 9 a.m. Friday before the bodies are reinterred in Oaklawn. The cemetery is closed through Friday for the reburial, the city said in a statement announcing the event. The city also said it plans to provide photographs of the ceremony along with videos on its website.

Officially, 38 deaths have been confirmed after a white mob murdered, looted and burned the Greenwood District over about 16 hours starting on May 31, 1921, but historians now estimate between 100 and 300 people may have been killed, with many of the Black victims quickly buried in unmarked mass graves without a coroner’s report or a death certificate.

Kary Stackelbeck, state archaeologist, said last month that crews identified 35 graves during their search in Oaklawn Cemetery. They chose to exhume 20. All but one of the graves was unmarked with no records indicating who was buried inside. Nineteen contained remains adequate for forensic analysis, she said.

Crews focused their analysis on Black males who were buried in plain caskets. The decorated caskets tended to contain women, who were memorialized by loved ones.

Forensic officials said last month that while the race of the individuals was primarily Black, preliminary findings indicate only one grave contained remains that showed obvious trauma. That man was buried in a plain casket in an area that contained the remains of children. He had a bullet in his left shoulder, multiple projectile wounds including ones to his head and possibly left arm, forensic officials said.
Tulsa to reinter bodies exhumed as part of Tulsa Race Massacre investigation

Kentucky (Simpson co) Jane Doe 2001 has been identified, she did not have high matches:

KSP identifies cold case victim from 2001
By Tom Kenny
July 30, 2021

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WTVQ) – Decomposed human remains found along I-65 in Simpson County nearly twenty-years ago, have finally been identified, according to Kentucky State Police.

Through years of investigation and with help from the DNA Doe Project, KSP identified the victim as 45-year old Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson, of Nashville, Tennessee.

Her remains were found at mile marker 12 along I-65 on October 9, 2001.

Investigators are asking anyone with information in the case to contact KSP Post 3 at 270-782-2010.
KSP identifies cold case victim from 2001 - ABC 36 News

7YYSH5A5VRF4FHWCULVJYAK6T4.JPG

Kentucky State Police Identify Cold Case Victim From 2001(WBKO)
By WBKO News Staff
Published: Jul. 30, 2021 at 5:11 AM UTC|Updated: 2 hours ago

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) - Kentucky State Police have identified the victim of a cold case death investigation from 2001.

On October 9, 2001, Kentucky State Police initiated the death investigation after human remains were found at the 12-mile marker of I-65 in Simpson County.

During that time, no leads were available and the identity of the remains was unknown.

According to authorities, they identified the suspect as Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson, 45 of Nashville.

ADVERTISEMENT
The investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2021 WBKO. All rights reserved.
Kentucky State Police identify cold case victim from 2001

7YYSH5A5VRF4FHWCULVJYAK6T4.JPG

Kentucky State Police Identify Cold Case Victim From 2001(WBKO)
By WBKO News Staff
Published: Jul. 30, 2021 at 5:11 AM UTC|Updated: 2 hours ago

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) - Kentucky State Police have identified the victim of a cold case death investigation from 2001.

On October 9, 2001, Kentucky State Police initiated the death investigation after human remains were found at the 12-mile marker of I-65 in Simpson County.

During that time, no leads were available and the identity of the remains was unknown.

According to authorities, they identified the suspect as Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson, 45 of Nashville.

ADVERTISEMENT
The investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2021 WBKO. All rights reserved.
Kentucky State Police identify cold case victim from 2001
Great news! I like to see these surprise solves like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads