DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new post from the DDP facebook page, I wonder which case is a recent solve

Q: What is the smallest amount of DNA that DNA Doe Project has had success with? How many cells?
A: The number of cells can only be estimated from the amount of DNA extract obtained (approximately 6 or more picograms per cell). And those amounts are reported differently depending on the quant system used. The lab we use nowadays reports amounts provided by an ALU-based assay.
Some of our smallest amounts have included:
• A recently solved case not yet announced: 19 picograms (estimating approx. 3 cells)
• Lime Lady: 30 picograms (approx. 5 cells) - identified
• Redondo Beach Jane Doe: 26 picograms (approx. 5 cells) - in research, with usable data
When we first started in 2017 the conventional wisdom was that we needed at least 20 nanograms to get usable data (a nanogram is 1,000 picograms.) With the technological advances nowadays most labs experienced in whole genome sequencing now routinely produce usable data with fractions of a nanogram (well below 500 picograms).
We’ve come a long way!

A new post from the DDP facebook page, I wonder which case is a recent solve

Q: What is the smallest amount of DNA that DNA Doe Project has had success with? How many cells?
A: The number of cells can only be estimated from the amount of DNA extract obtained (approximately 6 or more picograms per cell). And those amounts are reported differently depending on the quant system used. The lab we use nowadays reports amounts provided by an ALU-based assay.
Some of our smallest amounts have included:
• A recently solved case not yet announced: 19 picograms (estimating approx. 3 cells)
• Lime Lady: 30 picograms (approx. 5 cells) - identified
• Redondo Beach Jane Doe: 26 picograms (approx. 5 cells) - in research, with usable data
When we first started in 2017 the conventional wisdom was that we needed at least 20 nanograms to get usable data (a nanogram is 1,000 picograms.) With the technological advances nowadays most labs experienced in whole genome sequencing now routinely produce usable data with fractions of a nanogram (well below 500 picograms).
We’ve come a long way!
I wonder if that unnamed case is Jefferson County John Doe

Ventura co JD's new highest match did not help in identifying her, I wonder if she has huge endogamy as well. The DDP published a new reconstruction of her in new attempt to identify her.

I'm suprised there is no update for Nation River Lady or Bowmanville Jane doe.
I am sure National River Lady is identified a long time ago! I think it is just that Ontario police takes their time for investigation
And in regards to Bowmanville, her matches are extremely low, I would like to see her Oracle 4 pie chats and Eurogene admixture

I don’t visit this thread too often but I have a question.
I watched a show on DB Cooper last night and they claimed to have now a complete DNA profile of him taken from his tie. Would DNA Doe be a database they could run that through with a possibility of finding his family connections and identifying him?

I don’t visit this thread too often but I have a question.
I watched a show on DB Cooper last night and they claimed to have now a complete DNA profile of him taken from his tie. Would DNA Doe be a database they could run that through with a possibility of finding his family connections and identifying him?
In theory yes, but the DDP doesn't tend to do cases involving perpetrators of crimes, that might be more up Othram's alley.

Today is a spreadsheet update! Hopefully new cases will be added (Gacy victim #5, Lake Michigan JD and others which are in research stage for quite some time)

Today is a spreadsheet update! Hopefully new cases will be added (Gacy victim #5, Lake Michigan JD and others which are in research stage for quite some time)

What time does it usually upload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member