DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kings co Jane Doe (California) has a new kit, no high matches unfortunately.

I wonder why there are no updates on old cases (Delafield JD for example), he is long time in research with no increase in matches at all, I think he did not get any new matches from the Gedmatch changes.

This week Berrien co Jane Doe “Betty” got a new match (she also did not get any new matches from January)

I hope there will be new announcments this fall, summer was really slow.

Last edited:
NEW IDENTIFICATION:
Phoenix Jane Doe 2017 (Laura&Leila) has been identified as Laura Jean Jordan. She was indeed Laura
'Jane Doe' identified in Phoenix with forensic genealogy | 12news.com

'Jane Doe' identified by Phoenix police four years after death from heat exhaustion
Investigators used forensic genealogy and fingerprinting analysis to identify a woman who died from heat exhaustion in 2017.

PHOENIX — The Phoenix Police Department has recently identified a woman found dead from heat exhaustion near 22nd Place and Garfield Street in 2017.

The woman had been referred to as "Jane Doe" until Phoenix police used forensic genealogy techniques to identify her as Laura Jean Jordan.

Earlier this year, Phoenix police teamed up with the DNA Doe Project to scan through databases of DNA to find any connections to the unknown woman

Once their search turned up a new lead, investigators asked the FBI to conduct a fingerprint analysis that was able to confirm Jordan's identity.

The Doe Project has become a go-to resource for law enforcement agencies across the country needing resources to identify unknown persons.

The nonprofit was founded in 2017 and it solved its first cold case the following year.

Maricopa County still has hundreds of active cases involving unidentified remains that are needing to be resolved. A database of cases dating back to the 1970s can be found on the county's website.

I am wondering if Baseline John Doe, another new DDP case from Phoenix, has been identified as well. His highest match is over 300 cM

Oh, according to this video, Phoenix Police is working with the DDP on 7 more cases, I think there are only 3 active cases from Maricopa co on the DDP website (Monique, Baseline Doe and Box Mike). Apache Junction is from a different county

the detective on the video is holding the reconstruction of Box Mike and thats the case with the lowest matches, I guess it is hard case to identify, I wonder if the Oracle pie chats will be added

Oh, according to this video, Phoenix Police is working with the DDP on 7 more cases, I think there are only 3 active cases from Maricopa co on the DDP website (Monique, Baseline Doe and Box Mike). Apache Junction is from a different county

the detective on the video is holding the reconstruction of Box Mike and thats the case with the lowest matches, I guess it is hard case to identify, I wonder if the Oracle pie chats will be added
Don’t forget Broadway Jane Doe!

From the DDP's press release in regards to Laura Jordan's identification (aka Laura&Laila), interesting, that the DDP "has partnered with the University of New Haven as part of their Forensic Genetic Genealogy Graduate Certificate Program. Students in the program participated in the research phase of this case, making it one of the first cold cases solved with graduate student intern involvement using investigative genetic genealogy.". Also interesting, that it was not an easy case, as it took them a few weeks to identify her: "The genealogy research was complicated by the lack of public records and endogamy, but the team was able to identify a candidate within a few weeks".

The link to the press release:
Laura N Layla Phoenix Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases

Last edited:
I was so floored to see this!!!!

Also, thank you for alerting me to this :)
I hope there will be even better news about Nation River Lady, I am surprised other Canadian cases solved with genetic genealogy are announced so fast (I think Othram had 3 announcements recently). I would understand that there is ongoing investigation though, still I wonder how old could be her killer if still alive

I hope there will be even better news about Nation River Lady, I am surprised other Canadian cases solved with genetic genealogy are announced so fast (I think Othram had 3 announcements recently). I would understand that there is ongoing investigation though, still I wonder how old could be her killer if still alive

We have another Canadian case announcement coming soon :)

Guys, there is a new interesting article about Ottawa Jane Does

OTTAWA COUNTY, Mich. — Two long-time cold cases in Ottawa County are finally heating up.

More than seven decades combined have gone by since two women were murdered in the lakeshore county and still have yet to be identified.

But now, with advances in technology and DNA testing, the two unknown women have a chance at justice.

It's sad and it's tragic," said Capt. Jake Sparks with the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office, "and we're working every day to try to figure these cases out."

So who were these victims?

The first is "Jenny," a nickname given by investigators to an unidentified female who was found in October, 1967. She was discovered beaten and strangled in a wooded area in Blendon Township near the intersection of 52nd and Fillmore Streets.
"Jenny" was described as a black female, approximately 5' 8", and around 100 pounds. Her age was difficult to establish but investigators say she could have been anywhere from 13 to 20 years old.

"Jenny" was never identified and her killer was never found. She was eventually buried in an unmarked grave in the Blendon Township Cemetery.

In July, 2020, "Jenny's" body was exhumed to retrieve evidence and advancer her case as new technology became available.

The families deserve justice, and the victims deserve justice," said Capt. Sparks, "so we are working every day to be able to provide that justice."

The other unidentified victim is "Matilda," another nickname dubbed by detectives. In November of 1994, hunters found the skeletonized remains of an adult female in Wright Township (Marne). She was nude and covered with brush and sticks.

No cause of death was evident, but medical examiners did conclude it was a homicide. "Matilda" was approximately, 5' 7" with a robust build and reddish-brown hair. She was believed to be 30-40 years old.
The first step is to try to positively identify the victims and bring closure for the families," said Capt. Sparks.

"Part of the issue is that the DNA with the age of these cases it's so completely degraded in some senses," he added.
So to help, in March of 2020, the sheriff's office turned to the DNA Doe Project out of California. It's a group that can provide specialized testing in forensic genealogy.

And more than a year later, that partnership payed off.

"This is really the first time in quite some time that we've had some optimism that we'll be able to identify these victims," said Capt. Sparks.

He added that their office has two detectives assigned to cold cases full-time, and they are working hard to put the pieces together
So to help, in March of 2020, the sheriff's office turned to the DNA Doe Project out of California. It's a group that can provide specialized testing in forensic genealogy.

"In the coming weeks, that cold case team will be traveling out of the state to follow up on some leads generated by the DNA Doe Project," said Capt. Sparks, "and we're hoping to possibly even come to an identification of one or both of these cases."

Anyone with information about either woman can contact the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office or Silent Observer.

'Finally optimistic': two Ottawa County cold cases closer to justice thanks to new technology | wzzm13.com

The John Doe found in Hudson, Ohio in 2019 has been identified as a man who died before the American Civil War. He was identified some 170 years after his death. Kevin Lord of the DNA Doe Project will give a talk about this case during the International Symposium on Human Identification which starts on September 13.
https://vb6ykw2twb15uf9341ls5n11-wp.../wp-content/uploads/2021/08/48-Kevin-Lord.pdf
ISHI - International Symposium on Human Identification 2019
Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members