DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds pretty conclusively African American to me.
Probably, though I'm not sure how common it is to have such a large proportion like that.

Also of note, St Croix JD appears to have not been Asian, and Lake Michigan Doe looks to have been likely Caucasian/European in origin (same with the former).

Since St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department seems to have gotten involved with the DNA Doe Project, I hope they will reach out to neighboring counties to help identify the victims of Maury Travis with the same methodology. As far as I know, there are still at least four unidentified women connected to him.
There is an excellent group in Missouri called "Missing in Missouri". They are holding their annual conference the end of October in St. Louis. I will be teaching one of the sessions on Investigative Genetic Genealogy.

Gacy victim 5's highest match is 279.2.
Lake Michigan JD's highest is a whopping 422.7!
Ramsey County JD's highest is 286.
Luce County JD's highest is 99.8.
Jackson County D's highest is 221.
Gray's Harbor County JD's highest is 42.1.

Thank you so much, this is much easier to navigate! My only suggestion, and this is just in my opinion, the solved cases tab could possibly have another column for their solve date/year and be sorted by year (ex. 2021 - 2018)
Good suggestion! I'll add that going forward. Might take me a while to track down when older ones were solved.

Good suggestion! I'll add that going forward. Might take me a while to track down when older ones were solved.
Also this just came to me, but maybe on cases that are DDP funded, you can list the actual dollar amount that a case is at at the time of an update to give people a better idea of where they are with donations!

Also this just came to me, but maybe on cases that are DDP funded, you can list the actual dollar amount that a case is at at the time of an update to give people a better idea of where they are with donations!
If you click on the link to the DDP website for the Doe's profile it is being updated (by someone other than me) with #s for DDP funded cases.

Gacy victim 5's highest match is 279.2.
Lake Michigan JD's highest is a whopping 422.7!
Ramsey County JD's highest is 286.
Luce County JD's highest is 99.8.
Jackson County D's highest is 221.
Gray's Harbor County JD's highest is 42.1.

Thank you so much, this is much easier to navigate! My only suggestion, and this is just in my opinion, the solved cases tab could possibly have another column for their solve date/year and be sorted by year (ex. 2021 - 2018)
Let's hope we see a quick identification for Lake Michigan JD like we did with Brad. And I'm quite pleased by Jackson County Doe's numbers! And unfortunately Gray's low numbers seem to be a trend with Asian/Native Does, we'll see if Dna Doe Project has to reach out to the public for help like they did with Shirley Soosay.

Let's hope we see a quick identification for Lake Michigan JD like we did with Brad. And I'm quite pleased by Jackson County Doe's numbers! And unfortunately Gray's low numbers seem to be a trend with Asian/Native Does, we'll see if Dna Doe Project has to reach out to the public for help like they did with Shirley Soosay.
*Never mind, I saw the update about Van Buren JD

New identification:
Marion County John Doe has been identified as John Kraicinsky. There was no photo. It is 7th Ohio case solved by the DDP (and the 8th is Hudson John Doe). They also are working on Twinsburg John Doe

Marion County Sheriff's Office ID's homicide victim in cold case | 10tv.com
Homicide victim in Marion County cold case identified more than 30 years later
In July 1989, the body of a man was found in Flat Run Creek in Marion County.
Author: Emily Oliver
Published: 12:11 PM EDT October 18, 2021
Updated: 12:11 PM EDT October 18, 2021
MARION, Ohio — The Marion County Sheriff’s Office is crediting developments in DNA technology for helping investigators identify the victim of an Ohio cold case dating back to more than 30 years.

In July 1989, the body of a man was found in Flat Run Creek in Marion County. Despite its efforts, the Marion County Sheriff’s office was unable to identify the man and the case went cold.
In a renewed effort to solve the case, the sheriff’s office contacted the DNA Doe Project, which uses genetic genealogy to help with the identification process in homicide investigations.

With help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, authorities identified the victim as John Kraicinsky.

“We have several other cold cases that we will continue to work to obtain justice for victims and closure for families,” Sheriff Matt Bayles said in a release.

According to the sheriff’s office, Kraicinsky was last in contact with his family the month his body was found. Family members told authorities they never reported him missing because they believed Kraicinsky “may have just moved away to start another life.”

Sheriff Bayles plans to hold a briefing at 9 a.m. Tuesday to discuss the findings of the case.

I have to wonder if the "Being on the road" possibly means more announcments

I think Joan mentioned that in the end of October she is going to St Louis, Missouri to give sessions on Investigative Genetic Genealogy.

But I think there should be more announcements by the end of the year, I think there are always announcements in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong