DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Information & Discussion' started by MelmothTheLost, Apr 24, 2018.

1. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Believer of Miracles

It’s okay. Really, it is. I totally get it now and understand why you would protect this thread. I did shed a couple of tears when I first read the post, but that was silly of me. I think I’ve pushed my recovery too quickly. When I saw someone mention a previous post, I went back to it to re-read. I remember it now. In the back of my mind, I was thinking - the post was trying to tell me something but my brain didn’t register it correctly the first time I read it. It was too soon after my stroke. It really still is. I’ve been making too many mistakes the last week or so and I don’t like it. At all. My brain is still trying to recover from the brain damage. I should take a break. This will turn out to be a good thing. It’s been a lot lately. My daddy died a couple of months ago and then the stroke and then the respiratory failure coma. Like I said, it’s been a lot. Thanks y’all. I’ll see ya back in a few weeks when I’m emotionally and mentally thinking clearer.

Al Ka, momsof3, watcher9 and 2 others like this.

2. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Believer of Miracles

3. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Remembering Cupcake

I'm so sorry grandma. I didn't think about how your stroke might be affecting your understanding. I cried too. Please forgive me. Please take good care of yourself. I think I might need a WS break soon too. :(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  4. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Awe. (((Hugs))) Always put the oxygen mask on yourself first. I tell myself this when I get frustrated that I can’t do what I want like I did before I got sick. We are all rooting for you.

5. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Active Member

Apparently someone made a mistake when updating the pinned Facebook post.
    The 1982! John Doe from Barron County Wisconsin is in bioinformatics phase!
    This case is highly interesting to me personally.
    He was young and stabbed to death in a particularly brutal manner. There were cut marks on his spine.
    The surgical repairs on his left knee are very interesting as well, supposedly something only an avant garde hospital would offer.
    Something like that would have required extensive recuperation.

Al Ka, watcher9, Gardener1850 and 2 others like this.
  6. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Here is another report about the identification in the above case:

‘I-196 Jane’ ID’d after 30-year investigation

watcher9, imstilla.grandma and Suglo like this.
  7. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Active Member

The press release regarding Marcia Bateman included confirmation that six cases from Michigan will be forwarded to the DDP.
    I hope they are featured on their website soon.
    The Google Drive spreadsheet of cases is a bit convoluted now and not much has happened but I hope that Harper Jane Doe is close to resolution as her top match and number of top matches (as in 40 cM or higher) have both declined!

Al Ka, watcher9, MadMcGoo and 2 others like this.
  8. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Active Member

Retired chief hopes new DNA test solves 40-year mystery
    So, apparently these are the prospective six cases from Michigan.

'' Along Interstate 196 south of South Haven, Covert Township Police were stymied by a pair of decades-long mysteries:
    The man’s body, discovered in 1979, never got a nickname and remains nameless.''

''Three of the unnamed remains were given up by Lake Michigan — a woman’s body that washed up in 1988 near New Buffalo, a man’s body found on the beach in Covert Township in 2010, a jawbone with teeth discovered near Saugatuck in 2014.''

''The partial skull of a boy, possibly 7 to 12 years old, was found buried in St. Joseph County in 1993.''

''Back on Christmas Eve 1987, a skeleton was discovered in woods in Van Buren County’s Keeler Township.''

9. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Remembering Cupcake

Thanks @JovanSrna

Based on the list I made earlier, here are those 6 case threads and NAMUS links (in the order mentioned):

1979 Covert Twp John Doe:
    The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
    MI - MI - Van Buren Co, Wht/HispMale, 33-69, Broken Nose, Spanish Medallion, Timex, Covert Twp, July 1979

1988 New Buffalo Jane Doe:
    MI - MI - New Buffalo, Wht Fem 43-53 UP8228 foud in lake Michigan April 1988

2010 Covert Township John Doe
    MI - MI- Van Buren Co, Asian Male, 25-40, Beach of Lake Michigan, Covert Twp, Oct 2010

2014 Saugatuck John Doe (Maxilla w/teeth)**
    MI - MI - Allegan Co, Male, 18-99, Maxilla w/teeth, Shore of Lake Michigan, Saugatuck, July 2014

1993 St. Joseph County Child John Doe (Age 7-12)*
    MI - MI - St. Joseph Co., WhtMale UP9894, 7-12, partial skull buried, Nov'93

1987 Keeler Twp. John Doe (Age 15-22)*
    MI - MI - Van Buren Co, HispMale, 15-22, Busch Gardens Tee, Keeler Twp, Dec 1987

10. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Active Member

Corona Girl and Rebel Ray are now active cases!

11. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Here is another video about a John Doe case:

watcher9, Suglo and MadMcGoo like this.
  12. Liv27

Liv27 Well-Known Member

Small update from the Google Drive yesterday:

Harper Jane Doe gained one more match over 40 cm, bringing her total of high matches to 11. I did see where her highest match declined. That could be from someone opting back out or she's really close to being identified. We won't know until they say anything.

I'm feeling very optimistic about Harper Jane Doe and I feel that she will be identified early next year. I wonder what became of her child, since she was lactating when she was discovered. It's a mystery and we'll have to wait for the results.

Al Ka, Gardener1850 and PayrollNerd like this.
  13. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

<snipped for focus>
    I wrote something about that in Harper Doe's thread a while back, actually, so I'll repost it here:

"I often think in cases where children seem to be involved in a UID's life (like Sheep Flats Jane Doe or Yonkers Jane Doe), that there are several scenarios where mother and child are separated or estranged. A child can be adopted away, in foster care, or raised by others (like other family members or taken care of by friends), just to mention a few. Especially where a high-risk lifestyle like drug use/addiction and prostitution is involved. Not saying that DJD was involved in a similar lifestyle, but just in general."

Strange I should mention Sheep Flats Jane Doe AKA Mary Silvani here, since it turned out that she did in fact give birth to a child, but had it adopted away.
    As you said, we might have answers once Harper Doe is identified, but I still have in mind that just because a Doe seemingly has given birth doesn't mean there is child waiting for the Doe to come home.

14. Liv27

Liv27 Well-Known Member

DNA Doe Project has now taken on Van Buren John Doe, another Doe case from Covert Township!

15. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

What does that mean “her highest match declined?” Someone refused to do a DNA test?

16. Liv27

Liv27 Well-Known Member

She had a match that was over 100 cm a few weeks ago and now her highest is 70 cm.

Al Ka, Gardener1850 and PayrollNerd like this.
  17. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Active Member

I'm really eager to see if they'll take on St. Joseph County John Doe from 1993.
    This is the only case from that list of six Michigan cases that is a child!
    I wonder if they feel confident enough to take on child cases.

Gardener1850 and Liv27 like this.
  18. Liv27

Liv27 Well-Known Member

Maybe one day but I think they pass those on to other groups.

Gardener1850 likes this.
  19. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Active Member

Some new cases on the Facebook pinned post!
    There is a John Doe from Lenawee County, Michigan. A white and/or Hispanic man whose remains were discovered in 1997.
    Here is his NamUs profile: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
    He is undergoing sequencing. The Van Buren County John Doe from 2010 is also in sequencing.
    They have an active case as well! Jonesport John Doe of Maine. A case from the year 2000. Parabon NanoLabs has a reconstruction of him.
    NamUs link here: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

20. Liv27

Liv27 Well-Known Member

Do any of those (besides Van Buren since he is listed above) have a WS thread?

Suglo likes this.