DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re right! That’s probably it. Does anyone know who escaped from prison?? It said that was one of their Does.
I’m glad you asked! I was wondering the same thing but figured I had just missed it when it was announced! ;)

Maybe Philadelphia Jane Doe?? I’m curious!
This is going to be torturous for me, I just know :D. Probably someone we’d least expect. Belle in the Well maybe? ;)

One Doe I’d love to see the DDP pick up is
TX - Pecos, WhtFem, 17-20, UP13480, found dead in motel swimming pool Jul 66

my Mother’s side of the family were predominately born and raised in the Pecos (Reeves County)/Fort Davis (Jeff Davis County) area. She put together a dozen albums several years ago when she was working on genealogy. I’ve taken up where she left off and I’m always looking out for a photo that resembles Pecos Jane Doe!

Such an intriguing case. Seems it would be easy to solve, at the same time it’s a tale made for movies. It’s also one of the older Doe cases.

This is down right spooky :eek:
I have no clue how I came across this - ah! The William & Margaret Patterson disappearance from El Paso back in the 50’s (good article about that case on this site as well) but apparently we were all wrong! It was Joseph Newton Chandler III!

Chasing Phantoms: Man who stole Texas boy’s identity may have been a violent fugitive

(SBM)
“On July 30, 2002, Joseph Newton Chandler III, an elderly man from Eastlake, Ohio, committed suicide with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

An autopsy discovered the presence of colon cancer in his body, which likely motivated his decision to kill himself. He also had $82,000 in his bank account when he died.

As courts officials attempted to work out the man’s estate and track down his surviving relatives, they made a shocking discovery. The real Joseph Newton Chandler III had lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma with his parents. They died in a car wreck in Sherman, Texas in 1945.

The unidentified man stole Chandler’s identity in September 1978 in Rapid City, South Dakota, after applying for a Social Security card and moved to the Cleveland, Ohio area shortly after.

U.S. Marshall Pete Elliott told Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter John Caniglia that he believed the man was a violent fugitive on the run from the law.”

Interesting!

I have no clue how I came across this - ah! The William & Margaret Patterson disappearance from El Paso back in the 50’s (good article about that case on this site as well) but apparently we were all wrong! It was Joseph Newton Chandler III!

Chasing Phantoms: Man who stole Texas boy’s identity may have been a violent fugitive

(SBM)
“On July 30, 2002, Joseph Newton Chandler III, an elderly man from Eastlake, Ohio, committed suicide with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

An autopsy discovered the presence of colon cancer in his body, which likely motivated his decision to kill himself. He also had $82,000 in his bank account when he died.

As courts officials attempted to work out the man’s estate and track down his surviving relatives, they made a shocking discovery. The real Joseph Newton Chandler III had lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma with his parents. They died in a car wreck in Sherman, Texas in 1945.

The unidentified man stole Chandler’s identity in September 1978 in Rapid City, South Dakota, after applying for a Social Security card and moved to the Cleveland, Ohio area shortly after.

U.S. Marshall Pete Elliott told Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter John Caniglia that he believed the man was a violent fugitive on the run from the law.”

Interesting!
That’s so interesting. This case was so interesting....

(SBM)

Interesting!

That's a theory from before he was identified. AFAIK there has never been any evidence found that Robert Ivan Nichols was a violent criminal in hiding. IIRC the detective said at the press conference they don't know why he did it and are open to any theories (such as the SK theories) but they didn't have concrete evidence of any crimes he committed (other than the ID theft). Did they find new evidence that he had broken out of prison? I would think they would have found out about that soon after they found his real identity. But maybe not if the records were not computerized. MOO.

Here's the thread for JNC3/RIN:
Identified! - Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

Oh, I just remembered Les Arnold is an MP that broke out of prison (I was only trying to recall women fugitives before). But he may have fled the country to Brazil. It would be interesting if he turned out to be a DNA Doe Project case: NE - NE - William Leslie "Les" Arnold, 24, Lincoln, 15 July 1967
Ahh! Thank you for clarifying about Chandler! I agree, surely knowing his true identity would have sparked new leads. Will be interesting to see what new evidence comes up.

I’m remembering a few more possible fugitive/escapee MP now that it was brought up. Of course I can’t recall names. I hadn’t heard of Les Arnold (I don’t think), I’ll have to go check out the thread!

P.S. if anyone conveniently has available a photo of or details about William Patterson’s mistress, Estefana Arroyo Marfin, would you kindly share? :oops: Or if you’re familiar with the case, let me know what you think the chance is Pecos Jane Doe could be her? Something about both stories clicked for me and it seemed possible for one to match the other. TIA!

Any theory on why Mecklenberg JD has so few matches? She doesn’t appear fm case notes to be representative of a group that wouldnt be well be well represented in the same way as Portland JD.

Any theory on why Mecklenberg JD has so few matches? She doesn’t appear fm case notes to be representative of a group that wouldnt be well be well represented in the same way as Portland JD.
They possibly need to get a better sample like they did with Philadelphia Jane Doe. Re-sequencing and such.

Alright! A new update from the Google Drive thing.

1. Mecklenburg Jane Doe still doesn't have a match over 30cm but she did get a higher match than from before with a match at 27 cm.

2. Harper Jane Doe got a new match over 30cm, bringing her total to 21 close matches. I fully believe she'll be identified by the end of this year.

3. New Britain Jane Doe's matches keep on climbing. She got 5 more close matches, bringing her total to 199. So many matches could bring difficulty but I'm feeling really good about this one and believe we'll see an identification by the end of the year or early next year.

4. Twinsburg John Doe has a new close match, bringing his total to 2. I'm feeling really good about him, even though he is of African American descent and is underrepresented in the system. His highest match is 68 cm. Pillar Point Doe was identified with his highest match being around 50 cm, if that adds a little optimism about him. I feel like he will be identified by early next year.

A very good update! I'm feeling really good about the current active cases. The only ones I am somewhat worried about are Portland Jane Doe, Mecklenburg Jane Doe, Apache Junction Jane Doe, and Vernon County Jane Doe.

Alright! A new update from the Google Drive thing.

1. Mecklenburg Jane Doe still doesn't have a match over 30cm but she did get a higher match than from before with a match at 27 cm.

2. Harper Jane Doe got a new match over 30cm, bringing her total to 21 close matches. I fully believe she'll be identified by the end of this year.

3. New Britain Jane Doe's matches keep on climbing. She got 5 more close matches, bringing her total to 199. So many matches could bring difficulty but I'm feeling really good about this one and believe we'll see an identification by the end of the year or early next year.

4. Twinsburg John Doe has a new close match, bringing his total to 2. I'm feeling really good about him, even though he is of African American descent and is underrepresented in the system. His highest match is 68 cm. Pillar Point Doe was identified with his highest match being around 50 cm, if that adds a little optimism about him. I feel like he will be identified by early next year.

A very good update! I'm feeling really good about the current active cases. The only ones I am somewhat worried about are Portland Jane Doe, Mecklenburg Jane Doe, Apache Junction Jane Doe, and Vernon County Jane Doe.

I know they say the Doe cases are hidden on GEDMatch but with the way New Britain Jane Doe's matches are growing so fast it makes me wonder if her DNA relatives are aware of her case and actively trying to identify her by recruiting their family members to submit DNA. That is what I would do as a genealogist if I submitted DNA to GEDMatch and found out I was related to a Doe. I have many 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins that I only know about because of a shared interest in genealogy/shared family trees with common ancestors. If I knew about a Doe we were related to I would start emailing my distant cousins and asking them to do their DNA and upload to GEDMatch. My other thought is it could be a family where the kids were adopted out to different families. Perhaps the families are trying to solve that mystery/find all their long lost siblings which will in turn help solve the Doe case too without the family even realizing it. Either way, I agree that case has to be close to being solved. MOO.

I know they say the Doe cases are hidden on GEDMatch but with the way New Britain Jane Doe's matches are growing so fast it makes me wonder if her DNA relatives are aware of her case and actively trying to identify her by recruiting their family members to submit DNA. That is what I would do as a genealogist if I submitted DNA to GEDMatch and found out I was related to a Doe. I have many 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins that I only know about because of a shared interest in genealogy/shared family trees with common ancestors. If I knew about a Doe we were related to I would start emailing my distant cousins and asking them to do their DNA and upload to GEDMatch. My other thought is it could be a family where the kids were adopted out to different families. Perhaps the families are trying to solve that mystery/find all their long lost siblings which will in turn help solve the Doe case too without the family even realizing it. Either way, I agree that case has to be close to being solved. MOO.
I remember DDP posted a thing on Facebook about her and specific last names to opt in. That may have had a influence.

Oh, that would explain it! Thanks, I have not followed NBJD's case closely.
I haven’t really either besides the Google Drives and their Facebook and website. She seems to be doing fairly well. I hope the fact that she has SO many matches is not a difficulty. It can be but they have not mentioned any intermarriage or anything. Fingers crossed.

I wondered the same about Mecklenburg County Doe. I submitted Amelia Jose Antonio back in Aug/Sept, but I still don’t see her on the exclusion list. The Mecklenburg Co. ME said that the two were not a DNA match.

That is very exciting news about the active DDP cases!! :)

Recently DNA Doe has been updating the Googledrive thingy on a Monday but no update this week. Given the discussion last Wednesday on this thread that there was another announcement expected, I'm wondering if it's someone off that list and they are holding off on updating because of a pending announcement?

Update on Google Drive:

Kind of a slow week it seems....nobody else but New Britain Jane Doe got anymore matches above 30 cm. New Britain Jane Doe got twelve more matches this week, bringing it up to 211 for her.

I've noticed that Portland Jane Doe and Twinburg John Doe's overall matches of any centimorgans are very low. Portland Jane Doe only has 217 matches (With only one over 30 cm), and Twinsburg has only 401 matches (With only two over 30 cm). Hopefully those few higher matches can bring good things. These two look to be very challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr