DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

GEDmatch Changes Are ‘Blow’ to Law Enforcement – and Forensic Genealogy

05/20/2019

"Within the next few days we will announce a new policy in which initially all DNA kits on GEDmatch will be set to opt-out of use by (law enforcement),” wrote Curtis Rogers, one of the founders in GEDmatch, to a list of law enforcement users on Saturday. “No user kits will be available for law enforcement use in matching unless specifically designated by the owner.”

That’s disgusting—tragic. And they were so shocked and horrified at the DNA being used to find someone who ‘only’ broke into a church and strangled an elderly woman into unconsciousness? Scandalous that it’d be used to solve such a trivial crime! Grrr

Here is another recent article on this interesting subject. I want killers caught and have spent years trying to get answers for victims relatives in cold cases and in particular in the EAR/ONS case. Lets hope all these cases have been solved correctly I just want the science behind them checked and people to get a fait trial. if that is the case then we call all be happy violent criminals are off the streets:

‘It could leave a murderer running on the streets’: How a DNA database’s new policy is changing police access

CeCe Moore is right about saving lives but people accused of crimes must have rights until they are proved guilty and these cases will shortly begin to come to court. if people have been wrongly accused of crimes there should also be consequences.

Didn't know if this case had previously been posted. The killer committed suicide back in 2011.

The 2007 murder of Jodine Serrin has been solved through genetic genealogy after over a decade, authorities say. Genealogists Barbara Rae-Venter and Colleen Fitzpatrick, as well as Parabon NanoLabs, helped make the DNA connection to David Mabrito.

Genealogy Cracks Another Cold-Case Homicide in Carlsbad

Didn't know if this case had previously been posted. The killer committed suicide back in 2011.

The 2007 murder of Jodine Serrin has been solved through genetic genealogy after over a decade, authorities say. Genealogists Barbara Rae-Venter and Colleen Fitzpatrick, as well as Parabon NanoLabs, helped make the DNA connection to David Mabrito.

Genealogy Cracks Another Cold-Case Homicide in Carlsbad
This is the first time I’ve read that all three (BRV, CF and Parabon) worked on a case. Kudos to all of them.

That’s disgusting—tragic. And they were so shocked and horrified at the DNA being used to find someone who ‘only’ broke into a church and strangled an elderly woman into unconsciousness? Scandalous that it’d be used to solve such a trivial crime! Grrr

It's a big setback, that's for sure. But I feel optimistic that many people will opt-in. When DNA Doe Project first started they were making requests for people from certain areas of the US or with certain genetic backgrounds to upload their DNA to GED Match in order to try to get more matches. And many posted that they were uploading their DNA specifically to try to help. I think it will take some time to repopulate the database but all they need to do is make pleas to the public to help again. I believe there are more people who want to help solve cold cases than there are people who are suspicious of police use of their genetic profiles. MOO.

If people are interested here is a Podcast interview with the owner of GEDMATCH. I hope all the cases using DNA genealogy have been solved correctly because no one wants to see the killer of children like April Tinsley walking the streets including myself and have actually studied April's case for a long time. My view is though I want the procedures used to be examined scientifically including by the FBI as the US national LE Agency. I would also like some of the ethical implications be looked at if there have been any misidentifications. It is not up to me decide it is up to the US people when all the facts are known:

This is an interesting Podcast but I think there in my opinion an independent review with all kinds of people involved. In the meantime if the right offenders are got off the streets that has to be a good thing.

Last edited:
Here is a very interesting article that someone else found but I will post here but it relates to the case of a juvenile in my previous post:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...gy-database-helped-solve-dozens-of-crimes-but

Here is a recent report about the Utah case where a juvenile was identified as the offender using DNA genealogy. I want to share it because there is some interesting information on how the owner of GEDMATCH came to the decision that his website should be used in this case:

Police in Utah used a genealogy site to find a violent suspect — and the uproar led to tighter rules on GEDmatch - Popular Crime

Here is the part I was referring to:

Rogers told The Salt Lake Tribune this week that he considered the detective’s request, and thought about how the Centerville police were worried that the attacker may harm others.“If this was a psychopath, this could be the beginning of other people getting killed,” said Rogers, a retired Florida businessman. “This woman was […]

I'd like to know what groups complained about privacy fears. Why is their right to privacy more important than the right to life or the safety of other citizens? The guy from Utah viciously attacked an elderly woman. He very well may have intended to take her life. I guess because she survived her attack, the "privacy complainers" felt like it was the beginning of a slippery slope. For example, they definitely don't want law enforcement to use Gedmatch as a means to capture their meth dealing cousin or their liquor store robbing uncle. That would just be wrong since no one was murdered or raped right?

IMO, the people complaining about privacy are fearful because they either suspect or know that they have relatives who are responsible for committing felinious acts. I don't think their desire to protect nefarious family members or their fear of embarrassment should take precedence. It's a bunch of bs, and I'm disappointed in Gedmatch's decision to make it more difficult for LE to apprehend criminals.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what groups complained about privacy fears. Why is their right to privacy more important than the right to life or the safety of other citizens? The guy from Utah viciously attacked an elderly woman. He very well may have intended to take her life. I guess because she survived her attack, the "privacy complainers" felt like it was the beginning of a slippery slope. For example, they definitely don't want law enforcement to use Gedmatch as a means to capture their meth dealing cousin or their liquor store robbing uncle. That would just be wrong since no one was murdered or raped right?

IMO, the people complaining about privacy are fearful because they either suspect or know that they have relatives who are responsible for committing felinious acts. I don't think their desire to protect nefarious family members or their fear of embarrassment should take precedence. It's a bunch of bs, and I'm disappointed in Gedmatch's decision to make it more difficult for LE to apprehend criminals.

You are entitled to your opinion but how can you be so certain the person in Utah is guilty before they have had a trial. It is my opinion that the case that inspired all this use of DNA genealogy was actually a misidentification and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson from Virginia who served ten years in the military and wax stationed in Californian in the 1970s. As I say you are entitled to your opinion and may be right. As I have said before I am a foreigner so it is not for me to make decisions but from my perspective I have been trying to save innocent US citizens lives. Again in my opinion assuming guilt on what I consider to be very unethical and unscientific procedures from an outsiders point of view seems very unamerican and against everything the country stands for. Thanks for the post and your views. Again I have to say I have spent years trying to get the victims relatives in the EAR/ONS case told the truth.

You are entitled to your opinion but how can you be so certain the person in Utah is guilty before they have had a trial. It is my opinion that the case that inspired all this use of DNA genealogy was actually a misidentification and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson from Virginia who served ten years in the military and wax stationed in Californian in the 1970s. As I say you are entitled to your opinion and may be right. As I have said before I am a foreigner so it is not for me to make decisions but from my perspective I have been trying to save innocent US citizens lives. Again in my opinion assuming guilt on what I consider to be very unethical and unscientific procedures from an outsiders point of view seems very unamerican and against everything the country stands for. Thanks for the post and your views. Again I have to say I have spent years trying to get the victims relatives in the EAR/ONS case told the truth.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the science in these cases. Nobody has been charged because of genealogy. They've been identified as a potential suspect and charged after corroborating evidence has been found.

In most (if not all*) cases that means exact matching dna profiles to the perpetrator.

You've got the wrong guy, let it go.

* I believe that some deceased perps have been identified by their children's dna.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the science in these cases. Nobody has been charged because of genealogy. They've been identified as a potential suspect and charged after corroborating evidence has been found.

In most (if not all*) cases that means exact matching dna profiles to the perpetrator.

* I believe that some deceased perps have been identified by their children's dna.

Thanks for your post and I will let it go on this thread as it will go around in circles. However I have not got the wrong suspect and this DNA genealogy has been presented as a true science and it is not and if the FBI ever do identify Ralph Jackson as a Serial Killer I will be proved right. You are entitled to your views but I cannot see how you can be anymore certain than I am by just reading what is in the media. We will have to beg to differ and although I will leave it here and only post article of interest if I find them. Cheers.

I do appreciate you telling me to let it go and you have a good point really:)

This is an interesting subject so here is another recent article about GEDMATCH if people are interested:

How a Utah assault case upended the website that caught the Golden State Killer | All UR News en_GB
You are concerned the wrong suspect has been apprehended in the Golden State Killer case. That is not the reason for the Gedmatch policy change. Please note the reason Gedmatch was upended was due to "a fierce privacy backlash."
And IMO the right to privacy should not take precedence over public safety.

You are concerned the wrong suspect has been apprehended in the Golden State Killer case. That is not the reason for the Gedmatch policy change. Please note the reason Gedmatch was upended was due to "a fierce privacy backlash."
And IMO the right to privacy should not take precedence over public safety.

Thanks for the post I am aware of that. I was posting the article for people to read. I would say that a misidentification in the case that inspired the use of DNA genealogy in other cases is quite a big issue and if the wrong suspect is identified that is not protecting the public from the offender in that particular case and would in fact just case a great deal of harm to another innocent person and his family. I am in favour of killers being caught but call me old fashioned I just want to make sure it is the right person. Again as I say I want the public to be safe as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back